Austin Allen speaks about playing for Coach Enos

Good stuff. I liked Briles just fine but this gets me a little more excited about next season.

2 Likes

The part that excited me most was Austin explaining that KJ won’t just have 1A and 1B routes to check off, he’ll have multiple routes including some crossing routes to go with the deep routes. When I watched Tennessee this year, I noted that their passing game routes were very multiple and complex. Huepel’s offense was supposed to be similar to what Briles ran but it obviously made the defense have to plan for much more. Under Enos, Austin explained if one or two routes was covered, it opened up something else. @youdaman and I have been clamoring for more of that all year. I’m very happy with this hire.

4 Likes

The key now will be can KJ learn all of it. I certainly hope so. He deserves to go out with an incredible year,he has been an absolute warrior.

4 Likes

I agree. I would have to think this will better prepare him for the NFL.

2 Likes

Yeah no doubt about that. I look forward to hearing the practice reports during the spring to see how things are going

1 Like

My caution on the over the middle (and I agree that is so important) is that when KJ misses, he tends to miss high. That is almost never good over the middle. That can be corrected I guess, but it has not been so far.

KJ has averaged one pick per 66.6 passes. And several of those were bobbled by the receivers into the defense’s hands. Which is to say he’s not making a huge number of dangerous throws. I’d be willing to bet his career int% is one of the lowest in UA history of anyone who threw a significant number of passes. Now can he improve that? Sure.

For comparison, Ryan Mallett threw 19 interceptions in two years as the starter on 814 attempts, or about one per 42 passes.

Unless he improves, the % will go up with a lot more passes over the middle.

I don’t understand why that wasn’t a focus for him the last 2 years. He just doesn’t throw those well but hopefully Enos can get that corrected. I think it’s a combination of timing (he’s a bit slow to release) and proper foot work.

Youdaman is correct. I am told Briles had more passing offense but did not carry it all. That is typical for coaches. How much can you handle.

Ben Hicks was frustrated because his receivers did not have time in August to learn their passing game. It was his job to teach it but whatever Ben tried, they did not learn it.

Sutton, the WR from SMU at Denver, told me he did not see the complete package that he ran with Hicks when I interviewed him.

Morris said several times they ran 30 percent.

Kevin Scanlon told me he ran most of Lou’s offense, but not some stuff Calcagni ran.

Lou told me that Scanlon came the closest to running the full package. Some he gave 10 or20 percent.

If you can’t run it in practice (qb and receivers) and get the keys down, it gets dumped.

1 Like

This all sounds good and I’m glad we are moving this direction (more Petrino-esque, IMO). My 2 questions would be:

1. Can KJ process quickly enough to make those progressions - I think this ability is taken for granted but is less common that people think.
  2. Can the OL pass block well enough to allow it?

I suspect the answer to at least one of those questions will be no, and we wont see the 2015 offense next year, but I think Enos will cobble it together next year and hopefully move toward the 2015 offense after next season. (Maybe Criswell can run it - definitely think there is reason for hope)

Replying to several of the comments here. Lack of routes over the middle, lack of 3rd and 4th check down routes, Briles not installing his full playbook, what can kj handle, does kj have a tendency to overshoot his target when he misses a throw etc etc

A lot of this points to potential improvements from an advanced pro style system and qb coach

But all of these comments in this thread also just reiterates how successful Briles was limiting turnovers by our offense. That can’t be taken for granted. It will be real hard to win if we take a step backwards in that regard. Also curious how enos faired with turnovers at Maryland and Miami? I believe he had solid total yards of offensive numbers but was never a highly ranked scoring offense. Does turnovers have anything to do with that

Coaching is two fold. It is teaching your system. Then realizing who can run the parts of your system.

It can be pass protection. Or routes. Or backs. Or the QB.

Most of us don’t have a clue as to what any of that means in relation to what plays can be run.

I’ve seen a coach practice plays but not teach the concepts. That almost always fails. I’ve seen practices where mistakes were not corrected. That ALWAYS fails. That was what happened when Chad Morris was head coach.

1 Like

The older I have gotten and the more football I have watched and learned about, there more I believe this to be true.

Most fans can describe, for example, what a draw play is conceptually. Or a slant pattern. But whether it’s a good idea to run a specific play out of a given offensive set, against a specific defensive scheme, in a particular down and distance scenario?

Forget it. They have no clue.

They think they do…but they really don’t.

And that includes me, by the way.

That’s why we’re fans and not coaches.

1 Like

All points above are well taken. Barring injuries, this is an extremely talented offensive group that our 2023 schedule should allow us more time to grow and figure out how much of the playbook we can run. We haven’t had the best of luck with mid majors, but that should give the offense more opportunities to get the offense down on the field.

Stretching the topic a little, but i think it’s going to be really important to have a good ball control offense next year to limit how long our defense is on the field.

To me, Enos was an outstanding hire. With that said, the offense is only as good as what the offensive line can block. It all starts in the trenches. You can hire the greatest offensive mind in football but if the oline can’t block it’s doomed to fail.

2 Likes

That’s where it all starts for sure… I think this has potential to be a very good offense all the pieces are there…

I think that if factually correct. You hear the phase players win or lose games but coaches have to prepare , teach , and adjustment based on their abilities, teams they play and circumstances that come up. Thus, when you hear coaches are good teachers it usually means they can make it very simple for the player to execute and thus they play faster and make plays. Same is true for quarterbacks and kickers , they all have about the same amount of time to execute but they have to make decisions quickly and not hesitate–again make it manageable and simple so they can play fast.

Good coaches make practice hard so games are easier. Simple but not easy to do but details matter and those that focus on it will win more games than those who do not and they all have same practice time to get it done. Got to make it simple for players to learn and execute.