Austin Allen ... Not worried

Some are thinking what’s up with Austin? A couple things …
First time he has had contact since the bowl game? It takes a while to adjust to being hit again .

New receivers has to gain confidence with them.

Passing blocking still suspect…

And still holding the ball too long.

The receivers aren’t getting separation he better hang on to it for a while

Whatever the reason, Allen still getting hit a lot, against FAMU no less, is the chief concern coming out of this game. We’ll see what happens against TCU.

He missed some open receivers & held the ball too long even on several completions. He looked like the AA after the Auburn game. Hope he reverts to the confident AA in the 1st half of 2016 by the next game

Austin Allen will be fine. The receivers need to watch the tape of this game and adjust where they can get open. For as many newcomers the offense has I think he just had to hold the ball.
Let see how much they improve in the TCU game.
It takes some game action for a QB recover combo to get it going. Also I don’t think they showed much of the passing game tonight!

Swine you are right about AA having to wait for WR’s get open. AA doesn’t trust where the WR’s are supposed to be. It also looks like he puts too much pressure on himself. I think the FAMU defensive play early took us a while to adjust to, but we did adjust and played better. Our Oline did much better on the run blocking after we made our adjustment but we still have problems with pass protection. Brian Wallace upsets me badly. I also saw some delay blitzes that are killing us again. Austin looked frustrated early.

One other thing that was brought to my attention an old football scout is that supposedly FAMU is not some HS team. I am told that they have a serious history of talent, because they are in Florida and have lower academic standards. I was told that there are some guys that could make some SEC rosters on that team, but who knows if that is correct. I sure hope that they are tougher than we know.

The Rattlers could match any SEC Team when it comes to SPEED. it’s the other things that make them inferior…

I thought there was blame to go around for all parties.

The OL broke down, especially early, which resulted in Austin being hit.

There were a few coverage sacks where he had time and no one came open.

Austin also didn’t hit a few open receivers. Had what would have been an easy TD to T.J. Hammonds and opted for a check-down to O’Grady instead. Had another where it looked like I think Jordan Jones was open.

You would expect the chemistry to improve.

[quote=“HogTreat”]

[color=#0000FF]
Swine you are right about AA having to wait for WR’s get open. AA doesn’t trust where the WR’s are supposed to be. It also looks like he puts too much pressure on himself. [/color]
I think the FAMU defensive play early took us a while to adjust to, but we did adjust and played better. Our Oline did much better on the run blocking after we made our adjustment but we still have problems with pass protection. Brian Wallace upsets me badly. I also saw some delay blitzes that are killing us again. Austin looked frustrated early.

[/quote]I agree with this, mostly.

I believe most of the pressure (most - not all) was caused by AA holding the ball too long, but that was a result of chemistry not yet developed in game situations with these talented new WR. I do believe it will improve noticeably in the next 2-3 games. I also agree with Austin putting just a little too much pressure on himself, with is both noble and understandable for a senior leader to do. He just didn’t have one of his better games - but it was far from being “bad”. The interception was caused by pressure - I believe he was hit just as he released the pass. Anyway, with this first game behind him, I expect to see a better Austin Allen vs. TCU.

On a somewhat related note, I wonder if the lack of TE targets was a conscious thing (not show TCU everything because we didn’t need to), or because we don’t have “that guy” that Austin has confidence/chemistry with as we have the past several seasons with Hunter and then Sprinkle? I think our offense will round into shape when we are having TE’s catch 5 or more passes a game.

Hey Wiz I think it was a combination of the small rush ends, run blitzes, delayed blitzes and AA was trying too hard to MAKE something happen in spite of the blocking. He had a few plays where he didn’t trust some of the WR’s so he waited for Stewart to come open. I think he didn’t go through his progressions during those plays because the protection was very short lived.

I also think we have to stop letting our RB do a chip block and then run a pass route. The delay blitzes happen as soon as the RB goes into a route.

AA is the man, but he better quit eyeballing all his throws and telegraphing all his passes… also if you watched the game on SEC network they pointed out on 3 occasions where he is zoned in on one particular receiver while the outside receivers are wide open… twice could have been touchdowns. Our rushing game is going to help the passing game, we ran so many running plays that AA was more of a game manager and the first pass play after a string of running plays is usually when the Offensive Line had the most issues, that first transition play… my biggest concern is the lack of promised speed in our receivers… what happened, we were hyped all spring and fall about our “speedy” young receiving corps… I’m sorry I didn’t see it??? I’m still 100 percent positive we only showed partial offensive playbook… Enos has yet to fail us!!!

I will say this… I’m looking forward to the next couple seasons, our youth is gonna blossom…

BB is building it right, can we get some better talent at O-Line or a better recruiter in that area?

WPS

[quote=“LogicHog”]
… my biggest concern is the lack of promised speed in our receivers… what happened, we were hyped all spring and fall about our “speedy” young receiving corps… I’m sorry I didn’t see it??? I’m still 100 percent positive we only showed partial offensive playbook… Enos has yet to fail us!!!
[/quote]I choose to think we didn’t throw deep because we (a) didn’t need to; and (b) DID need to work on our running game and sustaining drives.

We’ll see soon enough if that is correct, of if your concern about WR speed had something to do with it. At this point, WR speed is way down my list of potential concerns . . . subject to modification!

[quote=“WizardofhOgZ”]

I think Jordan Jones, De’Vion Warren and Jarrod Barnes are the 3 top-tier speed guys at WR on this roster. That’s not saying the others can’t run or aren’t quick or athletic. But that trio is what I tend to think of as true speed receivers and obviously 2 are true freshman and the other is a redshirt freshman. You could see Jordan’s speed a few times last night.

BB is the best recruiter since Broyles