Athletic Program Overall

In all of this talk about Jeff Long and starting fresh, I’m curious if everyone on this board only cares about football. How does everyone feel about:

Men’s Basketball
Women’s Basketball
Men’s Baseball
Golf Program
Track and CC Program
Gymnastics
Soccer

Or any of the athletic facilities that have occurred during JLs tenure.

Is there a dark spot other than JLS and BB?

That’s what I’m confused about. I’m interested in everyone’s response.

Also, insiders, can you give us the stat on where we rank financially among all SEC schools? That would be helpful.

Thanks.

While a fair percentage of fans like Hog baseball a huge majority only care about football and basketball. Right or wrong that is the way it is. It is also true that football and basketball are the big revenue producers for the athletic dept.

So while it may be nice to be successful in the “other sports”, it really doesn’t matter unless you are good in the Big Two. Football is obviously a disaster at the moment and I wouldn’t exactly say our basketball team is “back” until we consistently make the tournament and get into a Sweet 16 now and then. Of course, the women’s basketball team has been a dumpster fire the last few years as well. Hopefully that will begin to change.

To sum it up, yes I think Long deserves the heat he is getting.

There are a lot of rankings you could use, but the one I go with is annual revenue. Arkansas was 8th out of 13 public SEC programs last year. It was 10th out of 11 in 2007, the year before Long took over as AD.

You also could go with debt services. Arkansas ranked 13th out of 14 prior to the football renovation. I’m not sure how much, if any, that will move the needle.

As a private university, Vanderbilt’s athletics revenue is not disclosed, but its debt services have been made public through reports.

We could be 14th in annual revenue and still be bringing in a pile of money due to the SEC Network and bowl revenue sharing.

[quote=“MattJones”]

There are a lot of rankings you could use, but the one I go with is annual revenue. Arkansas was 8th out of 13 public SEC programs last year. It was 10th out of 11 in 2007, the year before Long took over as AD.

You also could go with debt services. Arkansas ranked 13th out of 14 prior to the football renovation. I’m not sure how much, if any, that will move the needle.

As a private university, Vanderbilt’s athletics revenue is not disclosed, but its debt services have been made public through reports.
[/quote]Do you mean our debt service total for the year is the 13th SMALLEST, or that we rank 13th (as in, have next to the MOST debt)?

Also, what about NET Profit generated by our athletics programs (in aggregate)?

I found this in USA Today . . . looks like we netted about $19.3 million in 2016. Unfortunately, the site doesn’t show that amount and/or allow it to be sorted on. However, a quick eyeball check shows that only 5 or 6 other Universities exceeded that amount of net profit: A&M ($57 M); OU ($23 M); and Florida ($20 M). We’re in a virtual tie with West Virginia, and ahead of Texas, Alabama, LSU, Kentucky, Georgia, Ohio State and Georgia.

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/

Do you have any other information you can add to this?

[quote=“WizardofhOgZ”]

It was the 13th-smallest debt service before the football renovation.

I do not know about net profits. I know that as 501©(3) entities, athletic departments need to be able to demonstrate expenses near their revenue. I doubt you’ll see net profits like that many years in a row. The football debt should bring that number down some in future reports.

[quote=“MattJones”]

Are athletic departments ©(3)'s?

Yes. Almost every athletic department operates as one.

Did not know that…figured they were probably ©(4)…since ©(3)'s are charitable organizations are contributions directly to the athletic department tax-deductible?..they are to ©(3)'s as long as they are pursuing a charitable mission.

I deduct mine