Arkansas positioned to have its worst recruiting class in Bielema tenure

https://www.seccountry.com/arkansas/225092

[quote]Still, it’s hard to look past the second number in the following list:

2013: 23rd, 9th

2014: 29th, 11th

2015: 23rd, 11th

2016: 23rd, 9th

2017: 30th, 11th

Those numbers are where Arkansas classes ranked nationally (first) and in the SEC (second). The 2017 number is a current projection. All numbers come from 24/7 Sports.

This notion Arkansas doesn’t have good players is clearly bollocks. Heard that excuse this last year. Didn’t believe it then. Don’t believe it now. Recruiting classes in the top 30 every year produce good players, no matter how badly a coaching staff stunts them — if at all.

But the idea that in a 14-team league, the one who lands, on average, outside the top 10 in recruiting players is going to be one that competes for league titles … yeah, that’s not likely, either.

It also is what Arkansas football is right now. Simply, it’s not a destination. Not for a lot of players. Not for a lot of coaches. Doesn’t make it a bad job or a bad program or a bad team. Just means things are going to level off and plateau with seasons like 2017’s far more often than not.

[/quote]

In pageant speak, you just referenced the swimsuit competition. We haven’t seen the talent competition yet. Did you see how CBB’s first class had been bumped all the way up to third in the SEC based on performance. They were originally ranked 9th or 10th.

I did. How do you think his last three classes would be re-ranked?
I also didn’t write the article.

2009, I’ve read several of your posts this morning regarding our recruiting. Clearly, you are not happy with the projected results relative to our competition.

What do you think the problem is? Is coach/staff not trying or working hard enough? Are they turning down better players than what they are offering/accepting? Are there 4/5 star players that are wanting to come to UA that we are not offering? What’s your analysis?

Hopefully Wednesday morning we’ll get a much needed boost and move us inside the Top 25. We all like stars attached to the players on an individual basis but the rubber usually hits the road on team rankings relative to the SEC. Coaching and development are certainly a down the road enhancement and I believe this group of coaches is good at what they do. Unfortunately for the Hogs we’re in a pit of snakes in the SEC West and everybody seems to have great classes and if the coaching doesn’t win in bunches, they will be replaced with a higher payroll. Winning can change a lot of things (especially with recruiting) and so the cycle goes round and round and everyone is mad, happy, depressed and ecstatic each weekend in this league.

Eric sort of leans to the dark side with his Hog coverage. He is the anti “sunshine pumper” for sure…He would tell you that his coverage is fair and right down the middle…but I have my doubts. He seems to embrace the role of antagonist…The way I see it is all those years noted are basically the same. You have to allow some subjectivity in these rankings. It is clear that we will almost always be in the 20’s. We live the 20’s…that’s who we are for better or worse. Will that be good enough at some point? We’ll see…

When ESPN re-ranks the 14 class I don’t think it is going to be a negative. Cornelius, Bijon Jackson, Ragnow, Tolliver and Brian Wallace are all in that class, along with a few other to-date lesser contributors.

It is still too early to say a whole lot about the 15 class, since you have lots of redshirts in there, but Greenlw, Cantrell, Dominique Reed, R. Williams, K. Jackson, Pulley, Froholdt and Ramirez were all in that group.

We did play several of the 16 guys as true frosh as well. Agim, Capps, D. Harris and H. Johnson all played quite a bit, and Hammonds showed some flash in his few opportunities.

Not saying recruiting is wonderful, but I do think that it is gradually getting better, based on production. The talent level is improving. The big question to me is whether the team can shake off the twin disasters to end the sixteen season.

The problem I have with the reranks, is they are based off of production by the players. We know we are getting guys who can and will play with us. When a lot of highly recruited guys will go elsewhere and never get the chance to play, that hurts them.
The main problem I have is regardless of where the rerank of our class is, we have not performed like a top ranked recruiting class, more so along what the original ranks were.
If they re rank a class like the 2013 to 3 or whatever, we we should be doing better in the SEC. So i put that on bb and staff, we’ve got to have better production, not 6-7 win seasons.

The problem I have with the reranks, is they are based off of production by the players. We know we are getting guys who can and will play with us. When a lot of highly recruited guys will go elsewhere and never get the chance to play, that hurts them.
The main problem I have is regardless of where the rerank of our class is, we have not performed like a top ranked recruiting class, more so along what the original ranks were.
If they re rank a class like the 2013 to 3 or whatever, we we should be doing better in the SEC. So i put that on bb and staff, we’ve got to have better production, not 6-7 win seasons.

Let’s not repost SEC Country as a reliable source.

Maybe we should do the research ourselves?

If you consistently rank 9-11 in the conference in recruiting, but exceed that in on-field performance then you should expect that trend to continue. We may not exceed it by a lot, but I think we are a 6-9 team on the field right now. That means we are beating the “recruiting ranking projections” by several slots. The consistency means something (can’t have a stinker class at this point).

I am going to trust the experts in a coach’s “war room” over clickbait. I don’t expect this class to be the “push us over the top” class. But, it should allow us to win a couple more games a year, and that will attract the next level talent that DOES push us over the top. Work the system, rinse, repeat.

First, let me say I do think “stars matter” to a point. The system is very very subjective and as we have seen by the recent “reranking” report, the official ranking released on signing day can really miss the mark. That said, there is no question that a team that year in year out gets a top 10 class will usually (not always) beat a team that year in year out gets a class between 20 and 30.

But my real question/thought is how much difference (throwing out for right now the subjective nature of the rankings, just assume they are “spot on”) between being say number 7 in the SEC and being number 11 or 12? I don’t know the answer but what I THINK is the case is like a tour de france race. You got these 2 or 3 guys WAY out in front of everyone else. Then there is big group of like 20 guys all bunched together. Clearly the guys out front did much better. But that big group of 20 guys all finished within microseconds of each other. Yes, one of them officially came in 4th and one of them officially came in 24th, but they were really all about the same.

I don’t have any doubt that there is a SIGNIFICANT difference between Bama’s class and ours. But if we finish 30th in the nation and 11th in the SEC, is there a significant difference between that and the guy who finished 20th in the nation? Or the guy that finished 7th or 8th in the SEC? (Again, that is a question, not a statement because I don’t know).

Well it’s his 2nd best per Espn.

So who’s right?

Eric Bolin, gimme a break. Eric has positioned himself to be the worst sports reporter in the state of Arkansas :lol: He has no credibility. He should go work for the CNN sports division.

I always check out SEC country, but you can ID Bolin’s articles by the headline every time, same as Wally. Never read.

I 1 million percent agree with you about Bolin, absolutely horrid, but he is getting credit because of the Whitt transfer. He reported it, even when the guys on here said, “NOT TRUE.” He broke that story, so some people jumped on his bandwagon, I’ve also noticed some of our writers on here communicate with him on Twitter, so it gives him even more credibility among some of the fans, I personally believe it takes credibility away from those that are credible that give him respect (like almost the entire WholeHog staff).

Typical Bolin Bomb just to drive clicks and controversy where none exists

Indifference is the best response.

I decided to block him on twitter because I kept letting myself get drawn into arguments over what he posted or tweeted

We go about things in very different ways.

I’m comfortable with how i do my job.

If asked to become a click bait guy - I’m out

Average class scores (source: 24/7)

2013 - 80.2
2014 - 84.7
2015 - 86.4
2016 - 86.7
2017 - 85.7 (incomplete)

The number of signees per year is roughly similar, so the annual average numbers are most relevant. Though I think there’s something wrong with their 2013 numbers (seems to include walk-ons).

If Arkansas gets the players we expect tomorrow, this year’s class will look much like the previous two.

I do not care about sequential rankings. They are always misleading and do not include enough information. The difference between sixth and ninth in the SEC can be large, can be insignificant.

A handful of schools are going to get the vast majority of the 4- and 5-star talent. Sometimes players’ ratings will be elevated simply because of the names of who’s recruiting them. The national guy for 24/7, Barton Simmons, gave a 4* rating to England, Ark.'s B.J. Thompson after Florida State, Baylor and Texas started recruiting him. FSU viewed Thompson as a potential fallback and never gave him a committable offer. Baylor and Texas are scouring the landscape for reaches. Akial Byers was a 4* until Alabama dropped him, and somebody cut rating immediately after that.

I’d say Arkansas must address needs, and among its needs are better talent at numerous positions. Let’s evaluate that performance tomorrow.

Hope Calloway isn’t reading this headline because we are much better than that on most every site! Geez! Silly timing! ghg

Wow Logic and Fact in one post about recruiting, you are my hero now, LOL. Seriously nice job!