Arkansas in the market for a new football trainer

Matt Summers recently left Arkansas to rejoin Bobby Petrino at Louisville: http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2018 … d-trainer/

Surprised anyone would want to re-join petrino

Yeah, all of that winning leaves a sour taste. Not rewarding at all. Who wants to be around that?

From my experience, people who do not want to be berated the majority of the time.

Yeah, well, Matt, the Jeff Long “football is fun again” experiment didn’t really work, did it? I understand Petrino was not all warm and fuzzy. But he won big and competed at a top level in the SEC West. It’s been frustrating as hell to see the horrible product on the football field these past several years. I do think CM gets us back to relevancy. This program and fan base needs that.

Having an enjoyable work environment and a winning program do not have to be mutually exclusive.

When you are Arkansas and vitally need a coaching edge to compete in the toughest division in college football, then you tolerate a guy like Bobby Petrino, his berating employees and whatever work environment he creates. You also tolerate motorcycle wrecks. And payments to volleyball girls, etc.

I understand many disagree. But many agree with me. You either commit to winning or commit to other things. Jeff Long chose “other things.” I’m glad that’s changing.

As an Alumnus of the University of Arkansas, I disagree with your completely. “Committing to winning or commit to other things” is not like tolerating the things Petrino did. That was a disgrace to my University. I stand for something better and I expect my University to do the same. If winning is all you care about, then where do you draw the line? Would you tolerate the Baylor situation with Art Briles if our coach did the same? How about what Rick Petino did at Louisville? Sandusky at Penn State? Either you stand for what is right or not. Winning is special but not at any cost. Maybe you did not graduate from the University and are just a big fan, you may not care what the University stands for and winning is all you care about.

I 100%, totally disagree with this. You don’t have to cut corners to win at Arkansas.

I 100% agree with Beachedhawg. That said, let’s go out and get the best person available for the job and hope it is someone deserving enough and willing to be here for a long time.

WPS! :slight_smile:

B.S., it doesn’t have to be one or the other. Some people act like Petrino is/was the only coach that can win at Arkansas. If other things means going to class and doing “things” the right way, then you’ll be disappointed in Yurachek and Morris, they believe in those.

Just because others agree with you, doesn’t make it right. You should NEVER sacrifice values for winning a game. There are too many leaders of young men that can do it the right way. Your moral compass doesn’t have to be off in order to win games.

[quote=“Hawgjawbend”]

When you are Arkansas and vitally need a coaching edge to compete in the toughest division in college football, then you tolerate a guy like Bobby Petrino, his berating employees and whatever work environment he creates. You also tolerate motorcycle wrecks. And payments to volleyball girls, etc.

I understand many disagree. But many agree with me. You either commit to winning or commit to other things. Jeff Long chose “other things.” I’m glad that’s changing.

[/quote]I know there have been other posts supporting Petrino and slamming Long for drawing a line in the sand on this behavior, but guess this one really points out the mindset in the most disturbing manner that I can remember.

Well, the Utopian faction is responding. And that’s fine. I understand your position.

I have moved on – I really have. I am looking forward to what Chad Morris will do for this football program. I was advocating that he be hired a couple of years ago when people asked who we could possibly get to replace Bielema.

You need to have a very special football coach at Arkansas to win. I think Coach Morris can be that guy. Petrino was that guy, and that really can’t be disputed. I simply think that in light of how difficult it appears to be to win big at Arkansas, you need a stormtrooper/ninja like Petrino. I don’t really care what he does in his private life, nor do I care the he lied to Jeff Long to cover his transgressions. That could have been handled, but was not. I said it at the time. And look at what we’ve experienced these past 6 years: Mediocre to awful football, fan apathy, etc.

Again, moving on. But sometimes the Petrino bashing gets the better of me and I have to respond. We all loved him when he was here, and now he’s villified beyond what he deserves in my view.

Hawgjawbend is right. We loved him when he was here winning and nobody had the guts to come forward and bash him like everybody is doing after he left. The guy had a girlfriend and was married. He wasn’t Mr. Diplomat He chewed on butts right and left. He was one heckuva football coach. He may not have been liked by most, but I liked him…Still do. We were never outmanned by the other coaching staff. We always had an advantage when he was on our sideline. He won and expected to win. The guy had guts and was fearless.

I liked Coach Bielema…nice guy. Decent coach, but he may have been the worst game day coach in Razorback history. He was clueless during a game…lost. He is gone…just like Coach Petrino.

Nevertheless, it is time to move on to the newbie, Coach Morris. I am hopeful he can improve our recruiting…that is primarily the reason he was hired, I believe…to recruit Texas. That is his strength. If he can capitalize on this strength…he will be a success. I am pulling for him. I am weary of being the doormat of the SEC West as we have become. We are now Ole Miss. Even Mississippi State is better than we are at this time. We really only have one way to go with this program…up.

This seems to be a battle of either/or, when in fact, it doesn’t have to be that way. I did not like Bobby Petrino, the man, when he was here. Loved Bobby Petrino the coach. I loved Bret Bielema, the man, when he was here. Disliked Bret Bielema the coach, though.

There is no reason why you can’t have a good man and a good coach simultaneously. Sure, he’s got to kick tail and not always be Mr. Nice Guy with the players, but the team doesn’t have to have an unhealthy fear of their coach. Off the field, in the offices, and overall, he can be Mr. Nice Guy. It seems to me CCM fills the last box, but also (especially after seeing his first team meeting) may fill the first one, too. If he does that, maybe everybody will forget the past and move on.

BTW, the trainer may have gone to Louisville not so much to team up with Petrino (not that he shouldn’t) but maybe because he’s a Louisville grad.

When ethics and morality are snickered at, win at
any cost becomes logical.

For Matt Summers, it was mostly a case of going home. It was a family decision. He knows what he’s going to face with Petrino. He’ll handle it. His choice.

Unless it was your kid or family member that had to work with him. There are good men that win at a high level. Bielema did until he got to Arkansas. I believe Morris will.

Saban isn’t exactly a “nice” guy to anyone associated with the Bama program but he manages to make it work. Jimbo at A/M is very smilier in coaching style to BP and Saban so we’ll see how their program stacks up in the West, but he did pretty well at Florida State. Was nice to beat teams we were suppose to beat and occasionally win when we weren’t suppose to under BP… the morality pitch I won’t address because I’ve never been able to be perfect in my own life and definitely not going to make that judgement on someone else.