APR

This interests some of you and doesn’t others, but APR scores are out. Arkansas is fine in the multi-year scores for all sports, which are the scores that matter most.

I’ll have some more on this soon, but here are some highlights from the report, which is a reflection of the athletes who enrolled between the 2014-15 and 2017-18 academic years, and does not reflect the current academic year:

There are a couple of basketball numbers that stand out and will need to be monitored. The Razorbacks had a 918 single-year basketball score after two consecutive years of perfect 1,000s. With the number of transfers and what appears to be the mid-semester dropout by Gafford this year, the single-year score might be hurt again next year. I don’t think Arkansas is in danger of being in any trouble, but it could bring the multi-year score to a number that isn’t pleasant for a few years.

It’s also worth noting that Eric Musselman’s team at Nevada had a woeful single-year score of 882 in the latest report, but the multi-year score is fine. The full scope of Musselman’s time at Nevada won’t be available until next year’s APR is released.

Football has a great score now, which is reflective of the Bielema years. Arkansas is outperforming most of the SEC teams in APR and my guess is that will be reflected in the GSR down the line, too. GSR takes several years to reflect current trends.

Women’s basketball had a good year academically after falling to a concerning 909 in the final year under Jimmy Dykes, which included a lot of transfers.

Chad Morris (SMU) and Mike Neighbors (Washington) also left behind good multi-year scores at their former programs.

Here is the story, which includes scores for every Arkansas team, plus a comparison vs. other SEC programs in football, men’s basketball and baseball: http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2019 … e-falls-l/

Looking through the other state universities, there were four programs that had single-year scores below 930. Those were:

UALR Men’s Basketball 788
UALR Women’s Soccer 926
UAPB Men’s Golf 684
Arkansas Men’s Basketball 918

The Arkansas basketball and UALR soccer scores probably won’t hurt their multi-year scores moving forward, but UALR basketball is going to be fortunate if it is able to overcome that 788 without some sort of NCAA penalty. Remember that Arkansas lost a scholarship because of the 886 that brought the multi-year score down for a long time.

UALR’s basketball multi-year score is 931 this year, but that 788 single-year score will bring down the multi-year for three more years. The multi-year is being held up right now by a 1,000 single-year score in 2015-16.

UAPB golf was hit with two NCAA penalties, including a postseason ban, for its multi-year score of 857. Overall, though, UAPB’s athletics department has fared a lot better in APR than most of the other SWAC schools.

I think this gets asked every year, and I for one have asked it before, but still don’t understand a few things about APR.

1. PHILOSOPHICALLY, what is wrong with a transfer out? Kid signs, comes to school, attends class, gets good (enough) grades, but, for any number of reason decides to go somewhere else. He transfers to another school and continues his education. Why is that a bad thing from a philosophical stand point?

2. I ask number 1, because it appears, just having a kid transfer, even if he is a 4.0 student at your school and continues to be a 4.0 student at new school, hurts your APR score.

3. Why is it bad to have a transfer but not bad to have a kid leave to go pro (see, UK). If you are “all about education” and not wanting to be the “NBA minor leagues” then a kid leaving early to go pro is WORSE than a kid with good grades just deciding to go to school (again “go to school”) at another University.

4. What I thought, at one time, was the deal, was if a kid transferred AND was no longer eligible when he transferred, you lost points. That makes some sense. But every time I read about one of these reports, it seems to say that the “bad numbers” are coming from TRANSFERS, not from “ineligible transfers.”

5. Lastly, if a kid goes pro and doesn’t stay in school or does bad in school once he has made that decision, does that hurt your APR?

A transfer does not hurt a team’s APR if the transferring player leaves with a 2.6 GPA, the minimum number of credits to remain eligible and enrolls at another four-year university for the following semester. That’s why Arkansas’ basketball team wasn’t hurt when Lorenzo Jenkins transferred to Colorado State and Brachen Hazen transferred to Ball State in consecutive years; the program had a perfect APR score both years. When that is the case, the retention point is not measured, only an eligibility point. So in Hazen’s situation, for instance, Arkansas would have gotten 3/3 points - 1 retention for the fall, 1 eligibility for the fall and 1 eligibility for the spring. The spring retention point was not counted.

Arkansas’ basketball team was hurt in the latest report because a number of players did not finish their classes after the season ended. The problem with basketball a lot of times is that players finish their season, drop out of class and don’t finish the spring semester after they announce their transfer or their eligibility ends.

As far as the pro question, the pro exemption - like the transfer one I mentioned above - only accounts for the retention point. It does not clean the slate of a player who was academically ineligible at the end of the semester. Every year when the APR is released, I hear from people who ask how Kentucky basketball always has a 1,000 score with the one-and-done players. UK does a heck of a job making sure its players don’t drop out of school to train for the draft and are eligible at the end of the semester.

Thanks! So Dan’s dropping out of school will hurt us I take it. How UK gets those one and dones to stay in school for the rest of the year is amazing then. I don’t like UK or coach Cal, but got to give them credit where credit is due.

Well you have to win, but give Bret and Mike credit for the academic and social development of their players.