APR Bonuses

Do the Assistant Coaches receive a portion of the bonus or is that up to the head coach to decide? Just asking.

I have never heard of an assistant coach getting any bonuses for academics.

There are no bonus setups in assistant coach salaries.

Thanks. I was just curious.

In looking up some contracts to respond to another thread, I found that Texas A&M football does offer assistant coaches a bonus for APR - up to $25,000 total to divide across the nine assistant coaches.

The head coach gets $75,000 for APR, and another $25,000 is available to go to either the head coach or assistants at the AD’s discretion.

A bit of perspective on these “big” APR bonuses. They are certainly “big” for we mere mortals. However, CBB’s $75,000 bonus is less than one week’s paycheck for him. CMA’s $100,000 bonus is about 2 1/2 weeks pay for him. Not a bad bonus for CMA, but nothing to write home about percentage-wise.

Personally, I can’t recall ever receiving an annual bonus that was less than one month’s pay. Those bonus dollars though, were substantially less than Mike’s or Bret’s APR bonuses. And, my bonuses were certainly NOT every year, but based on performance.

Taking into consideration what both coaches achieved academically, I would call the bonus amounts moderate, if not modest.

The bonus amounts are in line with the rest of the top SEC Coaches. I guess Sabans APR bonus will just go in the loose change jar now.

I am excited to see what has happened with academics within the Arkansas program. It sure seems like more and more athletes are getting their degree. I remember when the few that did graduate on time was a big deal. Now, it’s routine. There was a time in the 60s and 70s when few football players graduated on time. I understand why that happened. No one stayed for summer school. They didn’t get scholarships for summer school. They went home and worked so they would have a dollar or two in their pockets. And, because of that, August camps were extremely important. Coaches had to get the team in shape. Seldom did the players come back ready to go. Yes, some did, but many did not. August camp is not for that any more. I also recall that coaches worried about installing sophisticated passing games. How could you do that when your team didn’t practice it during the summer. The early games were full of installation and learning. That’s one of the reasons Frank Broyles always wanted it, but generally dumped it after a game or two and became much more conservative in the offense.