Apples to Apples?

I have a question. With all the opinions about Burks opting out, I was wondering if it would be similar if one of our basketball stars opted out of the final four or sweet sixteen? How would we have felt about Corliss and Scotty opting out just before we headed to the final four or last year when we reached the sweet sixteen and Moses opted out to secure his future?

It’s an unfair comparison. Opting out of a national championship tournament cannot be compared to opting out of a bowl game that is not a part of the championships.

11 Likes

The better comparison would be a player opting out that is on the roster of one of the four CF Playoff teams. I doubt any of those players are opting out. And if Arkansas was in the four team playoff, Burks wouldn’t be opting out either.

2 Likes

It’s really not apples to apples. The basketball team is playing for a national championship, the football team is not. How many football players on teams in the playoff have opted out? None that I can think of, and I really doubt that Burks would have been the first.

Some folks think that a player who commits to play the regular season has an obligation to the program and the fans to play in a bowl game. I don’t.

How Burks’ teammates feel about it may be another question, but that’s between Burks and his teammates. My guess is that most of them are going to be pretty realistic about it, and realize they would probably do the same thing if they were in Burks’ shoes.

1 Like

Not really Apples to Apples due to that the point that everyone has mentioned if it was a national championship game, I’m sure Burks would play and also the fact that football is way more violent than basketball. I don’t understand how fans are not feeling the young man choice because if he gets hurt no one will go in their pocket to give him the money he would of made being a 1st round pick.

I don’t disagree with you necessarily, but I would wonder if the risk of injury is the reason for opting out, does the fact that it’s a game with championship implications worth the risk of potentially losing an opportunity to play in the NFL?

I agree the comparison is somewhat different (what if your team was a 12 seed, no realist shot at the national championship, is that OK to opt out?) but anyway, I don’t agree that the bowl is somehow different than the Missouri game, the Alabama game, etc. It is not a shock that if we win 6 or more games we are going to a bowl. Everyone knows that going into the season. The bowl game counts as far as our season record is concerned. It counts as far as stats for players and teams. It is part of the season.

3 Likes

exactly,not close to apples to apples scenario

Similar question then: what if one of our players opted out of the Missouri game (last season game) because he had already “sold” himself to the NFL and didn’t want to risk injury?

If you want to compare the bowl game to basketball post season, it would be closer comparing to the NIT instead of NCAA tournament.

Didn’t we have someone opt out of the NIT a few years back?

It would be more like opting out of the NIT. I really don’t think basketball and football are the same.

By the way, the best female golfer, Brooke Matthews, will opt out if she makes it through Tour Qualifying. I think she will make it, too.

She is doing the right thing. I don’t find fault with her decision, or Treylon’s.

With Brooke, this team is probably 1st in the country. Not likely to be 1st without her.

If playing for the national championship is the difference, though, we were eliminated from that after the loss to Ole Miss. Certainly after the loss to Auburn. Every game after those meant no more than the Outback Bowl. The risk of getting hurt in any of 4-5 remaining games is 4-5x greater than getting hurt in the one bowl game.

4 Likes

Who was the Ohio St defensive lineman who shut his season down after suffering an injury in the 2nd or 3rd game of the season when they played TCU a few seasons back? One of the Bosa’s?

Football is really an entirely different situation than all the other sports in the manner in which they have postseason play. In no other sport is there a gap between the end of the regular season and postseason. This is the period of time when coaching moves are made, not so much after the bowl games. In many ways bowl preparations are as much about getting ready for next year as they are the bowl game itself

The regular season is obviously more important than the Outback Bowl and others. If it wasn’t, then there would already be more examples of players opting out in the middle of the season. I would guess the NFL places much more value on players performance during the regular season and would take a negative view if they opted out during that time. Maybe that changes, maybe it doesn’t. Who knows?

Might as well argue about how many angels can dance on the tip of a needle. Like kids leaving home, time for him to look to his future. Any of you want to chip in and buy him a twenty to thirty million dollar insurance policy?

Absolutely. Time for next year’s starters to shine in practice.

1 Like

That might be true today, but opting out of the bowls only became a thing over the past 10-15 years or so. A game’s importance is in the eye of the beholder. There’s no logical reason why the games in Oct or November are more important than the bowls. Would you be more disappointed if a player opted out of the Missouri game (or the LSU, Bama, & MU games) rather than the bowl game? If so, why? If the rationale is to stay healthy for the NFL, there’s no difference between skipping out on November and one game in January.

3 Likes

I’m not arguing if someone feeling disappointed is valid or not. I’m saying I think the regular season is currently viewed more important than bowl games. Whether that be by the college players and coaches and/or the NFL. If there wasn’t a difference than we would already see a trend. I can’t say for certain those are the factors, but I don’t know how those potential reasons are not logical. They’re perfectly logical. Outside of Covid, I can’t think of any instances where someone just opted out in middle of a year where their “rationale is to stay healthy for the NFL”. I’m sure someone can recall specific instances, but those would be anomalies.

There are a lot of variables and you can "what if’ any scenario till you’re blue in the face. Commitment to the team I think does come in to play if you’re comparing regular season vs bowl games. As someone mentioned earlier, teams often have a month of preparation before a bowl. In season that would be 3 to 4 days. Whether that is an appropriate level of commitment…I don’t know.

Like I said, importance is in the eye of the beholder. We have one thread saying a player shouldn’t opt out of playoff games because those are for a championship. That’s fine, but if that’s the criterion, any game a team plays past elimination from playoff consideration is not important. Perhaps no team in the G5 plays an important game.

I’ve heard that some players at LSU started coasting to avoid injuries after about mid-season. I have no idea if that’s true, but based on performance it wouldn’t surprise me. I’d bet a lot of our team quit on Chad Morris pretty early.

I’m not sure why you think the regular season is more important than a bowl. Bowl games are goals most teams have. They count in the records the same as a regular season game. They’re not conference games, but neither was the Texas game. There was a lot of talk on this board early about how big it’d be to beat Penn St. Win it & we end the season ranked in the top 20. Lose & we probably fall out. Personally, I consider the bowl game as important as any regular season game. Maybe the team feels differently & won’t practice hard enough to get anyone hurt & will have a big time in Tampa. Fans can watch or not.

2 Likes