Anyone heard any rumblings on Gafford?

I know usually right after we’re eliminated we start hearing rumblings on where some of our guys are leaning. I haven’t seen a single post discussing Gafford and what people are hearing. Kinda surprised because IMO because this Gafford decision is probably equal to the Portis decision on the impact it will have the the following year’s team.

I haven’t heard anything yet, but just my personal opinion looking at the situation he’ll return.

The reason I think this is for a few difference reasons…

1. This draft is deep with other big men rated higher than him. And I think this is what actually will save us with him. This is an unusual draft in the amount of quality big men. He could go from being the 6th-7th best big this year, to the 1st or 2nd best big in next year’s draft. The difference from being a top 5-7 pick and a mid-late first round pick is millions of dollars over that rookie contract. I think he’ll be told this information and it will ultimately be the big thing that gets him to return.

2. Typically guys that are one and done know going into college they are one and done and have prepared for it and the schools/coaches have prepared them as well. Gafford, wasn’t on either 2018 or 2019 draft, he didn’t even become a guy that was considered a possibility until December. That’s a real short time to get all the info and be prepared to become a professional in just a few short months. Most of the time when guys blow up like this and their stock is still rising they come back. Robert Williams of Texas A&M is a good example of this.

3. I know I’ve heard Gafford really looks up to Portis. Portis played 2 years at Arkansas and carried a team and was SEC POY. I think after Gafford’s lack luster NCAA tournament performance I think he’ll be motivated to come back and try to have a Portis like sophomore season and show that he can carry a team and be one of the best players in the conference.

I read his father wants him to leave so I believe he will leave. There is no advantage to staying, college provides almost nothing of real value when compared to the NBA and if he stays it will take him one extra year to get the big money and he will forfeit a year’s salary.

Whether or not there are more big men in this year’s draft means little since they will be in the NBA next year. However, several big men will retire so and if their teams didn’t draft a big man this year, they will next year so having fewer big men available is a slight advantage in spite of the fact that the big men drafted this year will be in the NBA and therefore competition.

If there wasn’t any advantage to playing in college, nobody would do it LOL. It sure did help Gafford this year, now didn’t it? I’m not sure if you realize it or not but it’s a HUGE difference being a top pick and a mid-late first round pick. We did a comparison in another thread, we compared like the 16th pick the 6th pick. And it was over an 8 million dollar difference over the course of the rookie contract. Not to mention if you’re a top 10 pick typically you’re going to have a better chance to be a starter/get significant playing time. If you’re one of those top picks usually teams are banking on you to be a significant contributor. Mid-Late first rounders not so much.

And it absolutely means something if more people are at your position are considered better prospects than you. I don’t know how many drafts you’ve watched, but every team doesn’t draft a center with their first round pick. Every team isn’t going to need a center. The more people at his position ahead of him the farther back he’ll drop, that’s just common sense. I went and looked at some old drafts, and I didn’t see any drafts in recent history that took more than 7 centers in the first round, and that was in 2016. Most other recent drafts only took 4 or 5.

With all that said, I’m not saying it would be a bad decision if Gafford left, I have no doubts worst case for him would be late first rounder, somebody will take a chance on him. But, he waits a year and improves his shooting, ball handling, and get stronger, then he could possibly be a top 5-10 pick and be guaranteed a lot more money and position himself better. That’s just my opinion.

Prior to the tournament I was told he was leaning toward coming back but that could obviously change once he enters his name and dollar amounts start flying at him. I will say this: Daniel was visibly upset at the number of times he was asked about his future on Friday. I asked if he’d thought about his future - you can watch the locker room video I did with him for that answer - and kind of left it at that and asked game-related questions. Tough time to ask that kind of thing knowing he’s disappointed in how he played - he said Butler humiliated him - and his freshman season is over. But, I had to ask.

I walked up to Daryl once he got back from the main interview room and asked if he had a minute to do an interview. He told me to give him just a minute to gather his thoughts. While I waited I walked over to listen to what Jaylen was saying. Then I glance over toward Daryl and Daniel talking. Daniel, looking at his phone, said, “It’s like this is the only thing these people want to talk about, man.” Kind of felt for him. Don’t get to see that kind of raw emotion very often.

I have not read what Gay read about Daniel’s father wanting him to leave. On the contrary I have been told that his family is financially sound and the decision will be his and based purely on basketball.

I am sure just like Portis, Gafford’s initial reaction after the loss was to come back. But once you get past the loss you can think clearly. Just like some of us fans. Friday and Saturday was excruciating, but the head cleared on Sunday and I can look at the past and future with clarity.

I don’t think we will know for sure for two months. Problem with that is that it is difficult for Mike to fill the hole that late.

Thanks for sharing that Scottie. Do you have a link to those interviews? I check the video section on the site and don’t see them there.

Just my 2 cents! I think Gafford will come back. He knows just like everyone else he needs to grow. Get stronger and improve his shot.
He can improve a lot on the hill! What ever decision the young man makes I will be happy for him!

He gone. He’ll have the time & coaching to develop more in the G league than at UA while making 2.5 mil/yr.

Most likely he will put his name in, go to the camps, get evaluated and see where he is per the pros. Then he will make the decision that is best for him. That is the process these days. Anything else is pure guessing. Personally I think that he comes back for one more year.

[quote=“Blu”]

If there wasn’t any advantage to playing in college, nobody would do it LOL. It sure did help Gafford this year, now didn’t it? I’m not sure if you realize it or not but it’s a HUGE difference being a top pick and a mid-late first round pick. [color=#FF0000]We did a comparison in another thread, we compared like the 16th pick the 6th pick. And it was over an 8 million dollar difference over the course of the rookie contract.[/color] Not to mention if you’re a top 10 pick typically you’re going to have a better chance to be a starter/get significant playing time. If you’re one of those top picks usually teams are banking on you to be a significant contributor. Mid-Late first rounders not so much.

And it absolutely means something if more people are at your position are considered better prospects than you. I don’t know how many drafts you’ve watched, but every team doesn’t draft a center with their first round pick. Every team isn’t going to need a center. The more people at his position ahead of him the farther back he’ll drop, that’s just common sense. I went and looked at some old drafts, and I didn’t see any drafts in recent history that took more than 7 centers in the first round, and that was in 2016. Most other recent drafts only took 4 or 5.

With all that said, I’m not saying it would be a bad decision if Gafford left, I have no doubts worst case for him would be late first rounder, somebody will take a chance on him. But, he waits a year and improves his shooting, ball handling, and get stronger, then he could possibly be a top 5-10 pick and be guaranteed a lot more money and position himself better. That’s just my opinion.

[/quote]Looks like someone can’t do simple addition. I just looked up the rookie salaries for the three years and it’s $5.8 million; not $8 million. However, even if it is $8 million, he still loses because it is another year before he is free to contrat his salary and even the 100th highest paid NBA player earns over $12 million.

On top of that, do you know why people settle out of court if they get a good offer? It is, because they prefer a sure thing instead of an iffy, even if the iffy might be considerable more. And, it is certainly an iffy that he makes a jump as big as 6th next year vs. 16th this year.

More likely than not, NBA teams will to draft a better player over a position. If there are 5 centers in the top ten, they are all going to get drafted in the first round. If there are only 2 centers in the top 30, most likely 3 centers will not be drafted in the first round. Therefore, the number of big men in this year’s draft doesn’t make much difference in how high Gafford will be drafted should he leave this year.

I believe Gafford leaves, especially if money is the deciding factor, but I will be delighted if he stays another year.

Check here: http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2018 … ss-butler/

Also, all video interviews we do are on our WholeHogSports app. It’s free.

[quote=“Gay”]

And looks like somebody never watched an NBA draft. That’s literally one of the biggest factors when people make a decision to leave early or not, which is how many other players are at the position would be drafted higher than them. If you don’t believe me you can go ask any analyst on twitter. It’s common sense, I’m not even going to argue that with you anymore. If you refuse to acknowledge that it’s on you.

And as far as the pay difference, looks like you’re the one that doesn’t know how to do math. I just went and looked the salaries in last year’s draft. Jonathan Issac (#6 pick) estimated 4-year rookie salary will be $20,129,572 and Justin Patton (#16 pick) will be $11,497,652. I’m not a math wiz, but that seems like about 8.6K difference to me. So as I said in my first post, it’s over an 8K difference. If you’re going to try to argue with me dude, you gotta bring some facts and some references. Everything you said about college not helping, position not mattering, and them losing money by staying is factual inaccurate.

Here’s my reference.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonbelze … 163368be15

You make sense and I hope you are right. The lure of the big money would be tough to resist. But, Daniel needs to understand that going to the NBA will officially end being a young kid enjoying college life. He’ll have to grow up fast.

He might end up leaving, but I think he’ll listen to his mom more so.

Just think 5 years ago he was in the drum line and not even playing organized BB…

If he’s in the G League he won’t be making anything near $2 million. Won’t even be making $100,000. But then why would I expect you to know that?

To be precise, if a player who signs a two-way contract with an NBA team is sent to the G-League to get experience, he is paid $75,000. But if he gets in some time with the NBA team as well, he can make up to $275,000 between the two teams, depending on how much time he spends on the NBA roster. The G-League max for a player who is not on an NBA two-way contract is $26,000. Only two players per NBA team can be on two-way deals.

The notion that you lose a year of salary makes an unreliable assumption, namely that years in the NBA is determined solely by age. Injuries caused by NBA mileage may as likely determine the length of a career. A college season is less taxing than an NBA season. For instance, Bird might have come out a couple of years earlier, but his back may still have ended his career in the same number of games after diving for balls in 82-game NBA seasons. However, you do have a contract, assuming that you are drafted in the first round, in case of significant injury.

That was a point I tried to make several years ago. If a guy comes out at 19 or if he comes out at 20, is he likely to have the same number of years in the NBA or one more year? There is no way to really know I don’t guess, but I think the reason guys “retire” is based much more on wear and tear not age (to a point of course). The NBA or even G league is going to put a lot more mileage on body than a college year. But, that is just my opinion.

FYI Archie Goodwin is in the G-League right now… :lol:

[quote=“Blu”]

Cause I’m a smart arse, I think your numbers are off, I’m pretty sure that’s more than 8.6k.