Anybody else wondering

When Learfield is gonna break down and put softball games on the radio? Surely at this point there’s interest. I know most games are on TV, but that’s also true for the sports that have radio now (FB, BB, BSB, WBB).

OU softball is on the radio, at least locally in the OKC/Norman market.

Yeah I would say that most certainly have deserved that for sure

It’s never about whether someone deserves it. It’s all about being able to sell it. Men’s baseball deserved it way before they were put on the radio. I recall sitting with Chuck Barrett as he was attempting to launch the baseball network. He explained to me that it’s almost impossible to sell radio spots for a one station radio broadcast. He needed a network. So he went to the state conventions (held by radio station general managers) to pitch the idea of a baseball network. He and Matt Shanklin put together a network. Then there were a few advertisers that were willing to buy spots knowing they would be heard on four or five (then 8 or 10) stations on a statewide network.

Learfield has to pay the talent. They have to pay the person doing the play-by-play (and it better be someone decent or the whole thing will flop) and they have to pay the production man to get it on air. Is there any money to be made there? I’m not sure. But if there is not then it surely won’t happen.

Good info Clay, there you have it. Play by play in softball? I don’t think there’s many that have it so I don’t know what kind of database they would have to choose from

I don’t think there’s a huge difference between baseball and softball on the radio. Pace is the same, statistics, etc. So anyone with baseball experience should be able to adapt. Understand about needing to sell it. It looks like that one sports station in OKC just took on producing and selling softball itself.

My best friend was in radio for over 50 years. Profits are tough now and consolation has put big chains in a crunch. I’m sure my friends Dwight & Susie Everett would buy spots. But as Clay hinted. It’s tough.

Nothing is ever easy. Or cheap!

I am aware of some of the problems with radio right now. Most are operating on a very tight margin. One station I know is fighting aging equipment. And when I say equipment, that’s a tower. A tower that’s 40 years old – and decaying in rust – can be ordered to be taken down. They are dangerous. They have to have a transmitter. They aren’t cheap. And, they have to be replaced. I guess it’s kind of like a printing press. They are not making a lot of new ones and they are extremely expensive.

The point of this, you don’t put something on the air that can’t generate revenue. You don’t give away air time. It’s expensive. So if you can sell a softball broacast, great. If you can’t, you are better off running something that does sell. Much of what goes on the radio now does not require someone to be in the studio to make it happen. It’s automated. There are a few sports talk stations that have someone in the studio, but not many. They have the option to pick up ESPN national radio that requires almost no one in the studio. If you do a local game broadcast that does not have automated time for commercials, it’s expensive. Someone has to be there to get the commercials plugged in. The only way you make money is to have local advertising sold and someone has to be there to plug them in.

I will be surprised if the softball team gets a station to do broadcasts. There is one way that it might happen: if they win the national championship and interests doubles or triples and there is suddenly demand. I don’t think the interest is quite there now, but that might change. I hope it does.

I was thinking it would have to be someone from baseball too Jeff,They would just have to brush up on the softball pitches and rules as far as what pitchers are allowed to not do but I don’t think it would be a hard transition at all,in fact Alex Pearlman who was filling in doing our baseball games was calling Missouri.Miss st yesterday

The competition now is the SEC Network (TV). Too easy to get that on several mediums.

1 Like

One consideration about softball being on radio is that the softball games and baseball games often overlap in time. I’ve not done an exhaustive study on this, but I can tell you I often see tweets about our softball and baseball games in my Twitter feed at the same time. (It can even be a little frustrating. There have been times this year when I wasn’t watching the baseball game but wanted to keep up with the score on Twitter, and I’ve seen a tweet about a big hit or play and realize it’s from the softball game. No offense to the ladies – I love what Courtney Deifel is doing with softball.)

All that just to say that it might be a challenge to have the softball team on radio at the same time a baseball game is on. Even if it’s a station dedicated just to softball, it risks splitting up the sports audience.

Radio is dying a slow death. Even high schools stream everything because they can use students for the technology and production.

Radio is still the medium I use in my truck. And, I will have it on on the patio when working in the yard. I guess it’s still too easy just to turn on the radio.

2 Likes

Me too Clay. Radio is on my green tractor and zero turn mower with nice big ear phones. I like being outside doing stuff after being cooped up in clinic all week. Can stream a game through these new devices into anything. I’d listen to softball if they did it.

As rapidly as technology is evolving, I don’t see how commercial terrestrial radio will survive.

Last year I was driving from DC to Arkansas over regionals weekend. I knew I wasn’t going to find the Arkansas game on radio driving across Virginia and Tennessee. I had hope for the ESPN channel on Sirius, but that was airing a different regional.

So I pulled up the game on my phone’s ESPN app and put it in the phone holder on the dash. I mostly kept my eyes on the road, but I connected phone to the car stereo through bluetooth, so I got audio loud and clear. Did glance at the phone on big plays.

So not only are new technologies popping up all the time, they are evolving into easier use and better quality. I wouldn’t be investing in terrestrial radio station anytime soon.

I’ve listened to Phil on plenty of drives through Bluetooth and the UA Gameday app. I would do the same with softball if it were being carried.

1 Like

I listened to Phil on my drive to Estes Park. The reception was spotty for the Auburn final from the Kansas line to Denver, then I lost it completely. Maybe there was a lack of cell towers. But on the way home I got the Vandy game on Sunday afternoon all the way.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.