Any new updates on Garland?

Any updates?

He is on a new medicine regimen to see if it will help. Started in Dec I believe. Don’t know how long before they can tell if it is improving the situation.

Not as far as I know. He was supposed to be tested again sometime this month to see if the new medication regimen had helped. I’ll see if I can find out when the test was supposed to happen.

I had read that he went on new medication back in October/November. The idea was to test him again December after it has been in his system or a while.

Testing is apparently today.

[quote=“JimmyCarter”]
Testing is apparently today.[/quote:2igm16jo]

Yea, appears that way just from reading comments on twitter.

You think if he is cleared he plays this year or they red-shirt him?

[quote=“Blu”]

[quote=“JimmyCarter”]
Testing is apparently today.[/quote:14hehaji]

You think if he is cleared he plays this year or they red-shirt him?[/quote:14hehaji]

Yeah, I saw his tweet and texted someone on staff to confirm.

That’s a good question. He hasn’t played 5 on 5 at all and I’m sure is behind on conditioning, so there would be an adjustment period. If they thought he could help, I’m sure they’d play him. But it’s hard to know how ready he would be.

Wouldn’t hurt to cut down the senior guards’ minutes, but I think Mike is going to just play them 28-35 most nights. If that’s the case, C.J. and Darious can handle the rest.

[quote=“JimmyCarter”]

[quote=“Blu”]

[quote=“JimmyCarter”]
Testing is apparently today.[/quote:zdjkekzh]

You think if he is cleared he plays this year or they red-shirt him?[/quote:zdjkekzh]

Yeah, I saw his tweet and texted someone on staff to confirm.

That’s a good question. He hasn’t played 5 on 5 at all and I’m sure is behind on conditioning, so there would be an adjustment period. If they thought he could help, I’m sure they’d play him. But it’s hard to know how ready he would be.

Wouldn’t hurt to cut down the senior guards’ minutes, but I think Mike is going to just play them 28-35 most nights. If that’s the case, C.J. and Darious can handle the rest.[/quote:zdjkekzh]

Yea, if he hasn’t been able to do 5 on 5 his conditioning is not going to be ready to play at the level that’s required in this system. It seems like a red-shirt would make the most sense, like you said, the guard rotation is pretty much set.

My gut feeling tells me if he’s cleared he won’t red-shirt though, CMA really doesn’t like to use red-shirts. My best guess is with these next 3 games, we should have sizeable leads, so he’ll try to work him in a few minutes in those games. Then once he gets more conditioned, he’ll have him play the “Nick Babb” role. Which is he’s the 11th guy in the rotation and he’d be used in a situational role and we may not see him every game, but some games he’ll get some decent minutes.

If he is cleared I’m 95% sure he would play. He would have all of December to get in shape, and like Blu noted, Mike doesn’t redshirt people. I think he would get 8-12 minutes minimum just because of his ability to handle the ball and god forbid there is an injury. He was a Top 75 player for a reason so I would expect to see him playl.

I would expect him to eventually play more than Darious honestly. He can be the primary ball handler for the 2nd unit and he’s got the length and athleticism to be a good defender right away.

One would assume there will be some medical advice involved in the decision even if he is cleared.

[quote=“bonewavy”]
I would expect him to eventually play more than Darious honestly. He can be the primary ball handler for the 2nd unit and he’s got the length and athleticism to be a good defender right away.[/quote:3vp41m8c]I’m at a disadvantage, since I’ve never seen KG play. That said, I wouldn’t be so quick to assume he’d play more than Hall. I’m thinking that they bring somewhat different skills to the party. Hall is a presence in our full court pressure, with his length and athleticism.

[quote=“WizardofhOgZ”]

[quote=“bonewavy”]
I would expect him to eventually play more than Darious honestly. He can be the primary ball handler for the 2nd unit and he’s got the length and athleticism to be a good defender right away.[/quote:35bkwfhe]I’m at a disadvantage, since I’ve never seen KG play. That said, I wouldn’t be so quick to assume he’d play more than Hall. I’m thinking that they bring somewhat different skills to the party. Hall is a presence in our full court pressure, with his length and athleticism.[/quote:35bkwfhe]

Now that I think about it, I think you’re right. Him and darious would likely play the same amount of time.

[quote=“bonewavy”]

Now that I think about it, I think you’re right. Him and darious would likely play the same amount of time.[/quote:xnpmpl55]FWIW, I also agree with the previous comments that I doubt he will/would redshirt (assuming he is cleared medically). In addition to the fact that, these days, very few do redshirt unless injured, there is the “bonus” of getting him used to playing at this level for next season, when he certainly will need to be a reliable part of the rotation (with Macon, Barford and Beard gone). There’s no substitute for real game experience in the process of getting a young man ready to contribute (see CJ last year and this).

MA said in his presser today that Garland is still not medically cleared and will redshirt. Optimistic that he’ll be able to play next season.

Quite the roster turnover coming. Newcomers next season:

Jalen Harris
Khalil Garland
Desi Sills
Isaiah Joe
Ethan Henderson
Keyshawn Embery
Reggie Chaney
Jordan Phillips

Between reading Khalil’s tweets and listening to CMA at the presser they sound very optimistic that he will be ready to go next year. Honestly, his minutes would have been sporadic at best this year anyways, this could end up being really good for the team, Khalil as a 5th year senior could be a very good player.

When I read his tweets, I thought his career is over. CMA’s presser sounded different