Anthony Black's behavior

Okay, it’s time to discuss this. Let me know if my take is wrong, I only have what was shown on the broadcast. To me it looked like he was taunting and arrogant to Vanderbilt with the “crying eyes” or whatever that was. If it was what I think I saw, it was (1) a very bad look for the Hogs, (2) fed Vanderbilt’s emotions and will to win in the second half, it backfired on us, (3) if that happened before with Nolan or Eddie, before NIL deals for these high rated classes, he’d be disciplined. I wonder if Muss even was aware of his on court behavior during that time because of the stupid court we play on there, being down at the end of the court instead of on the sidelines. Anyway, very disappointing to lose and also put a stain on the Razorback brand.

3 Likes

I like AB. Seems like a great kid. And I am sure it went both days today. But I agree with you. Some of the antics were unnecessary. Immature frankly. And, he is just a kid. I suspect Muss will deal with it.

2 Likes

Hope so. I still think it fueled Vandy’s comeback.

Some have said they know Anthony Black and like him. I don’t know him and don’t know if I would like him if I did. I do know I don’t like his immature, whiny behavior and I’m fairly certain the game officials don’t either. So, he can be a liability to the team as a result.
This seems to be the most undisciplined Razorback team I have witnessed since the Lanny Van Eamon era (in my humble opinion). That is the coaches fault. Rhetorically speaking, I wonder if the coaching staff still believes these players are as good as they thought when they recruited them……athletic but anemic shooters.

2 Likes

AB hurt us more than he helped us today.
I was totally behind him in the 1st half, but the way he played in the 2nd half was trash.
Ricky played a great 1st half, but I can’t remember a single thing he did in the 2nd half. Did he disappear, or did AB make the game just about him?
It shouldn’t matter, but AB is the point guard. He runs the show. All he did in the 2nd half was play 1 on 1.
Devo was a much better PG, and has been lately. Problem is, AB is 10 times the PG Devo is…
Muss has to fix this.

1 Like

Lots of good comments in this thread. Let your play on the court do the talking guys! And totally agree about whining to the refs…several of our players do this and it isn’t helping. Let Muss handle the refs. Immaturity is showing out more than their abilities at times…so suck it up and get to work!

I also remind myself that is 18 once upon a time and was more emotional than now.

2 Likes

I love him, and his emotions. Talking trash is cool with me, but he has made himself a target. I have no idea how he didn’t get an immediate T for taunting the guy. But he never did.
But that and the crying deal and the talking just wasn’t backed up. Vandy manned up, and fed all that back, and some. We had to take it.

1 Like

Gas, do you teach your kids (if you have any) to act like that on the court?

I don’t mind his competitive edge and feistiness at all. I think our team needs a lot more of that. Still I will say OP is right that his taunting did backfire. And the second lesson he needs to learn is that it was freaking Vandy! Why are we beefing with vandy at all?! It’s sad and pathetic. Want to talk a little trash after a sports center top ten dunk on someone or a three pointer in their face or blocked their shot into the crowd or stole the rock and took it coast to coast?? Fine, BUT we didn’t do any of that and it’s freaking vandy! AB appeared to be talking trash out of frustration and it was sad. Somebody tell this kid it’s Vandy, cmon man!

1 Like

I teach them to be confident, I do realize the reality of the basketball experience, everyone talks…everyone.
I think talking is apart of every sport. Always has been always will.
I do think it has become more glory seeking now than ever before, and purposefully to be disrespectful to your opponent more than ever before.

I don’t teach my kids to be disrespectful on purpose, no.
Talk is cheap results win. Always.

Chatter back and forth with an opponent is actually fun and a sign of respect. Part of the game forever. But it can go too far.

There are YouTube moments of those cases. Guys talking smack in the center ring, doing the Ali shuffle, back flips, taunting and dancing around and then the bell rings and he gets put to sleep with one punch instantly. It was all talk. You never want to be that guy.

2 Likes

I’m hearing this is nothing new from his HS & AAU days. However this is big boy basketball, time to play & act that way.

3 Likes

Todd Day was kind of like Black and then Larry Johnson (UNLV) came to town.

There will ways be Larry Johnsons that can make you humble real quick.

It’s best to stay humble.

Btw, Jonson got humbled in the NBA.

Speak softly and carry a big stick.

2 Likes

Jim beau, I think he bounced around high schools (the thing to do now days) so he probably never had strong leadership regarding how to act in the court.

AAU coaches are hit or miss in that area. Some are fine. Some are worse than the kids.

Everyone has been humbled. This is apart of life.

As Doc said. He is 18 or whatever.

2 Likes

Discipline is a thing of the past man. AAU coaches pamper these kids. HS coaches will let about anything slide to keep the best players.
Both of the above (or most) will take any with talent regardless of behavior.

2 Likes

What I’m afraid of is that other teams will look to provoke AB from now on. To get him to lose his temper and do something foolish. Refs won’t give AB the benefit of the doubt. This could hurt us in close games. AB has a lot of talent and up side. Yes, he’s still a teenager. Even if he is on his best behavior from now on, he will have a target on his back for other teams. The Refs will turn a blind eye to it in order to bust his chops. Take AB down a peg or two. Same with Walsh. That’s why they always call a foul on him when he plays tight defense.

Some disagreement here…I started for my HS BB team 63-64, and my HS football team '62and '63. Never heard one word of smack and never did so myself…not one word! Different times.

1 Like

I hear ya. But there was the Babe whole pointing deal. But hey that was before your time. :grin:

3 Likes

A. If we had won the game, this thread wouldn’t even exist - other than to praise Black for not backing down. Black was getting physically roughed up all game. We don’t know what he was responding to from the Vandy bench when he did the eye crying deal. And I’d bet even money that Muss, as a Chuck Daily disciple, gave Kamani the thumbs up on the hard foul.

B. Nolan’s guys were at least this brash, and we loved it and Nolan mostly didn’t mind. Oliver Miller did at pirouette (with one hand over his head) after making a free throw near the end of a game at KY (taunting fans), we had guys in NCAA tournament interviews talking about who they want to play, and beat, worse for the next game… Nolan’s guys dished it out PLENTY - and I’m glad they did.

Universal Rules of Fandom:

1. Fan will find ANYTHING criticize when their team loses. No problem after a win.
  2. The refs are ALWAYS unfair to my team.
5 Likes

Great post in a mostly pathetic thread. Everyone of your points are spot on!

1 Like