Another attribute I’ve noticed about Muss

He doesn’t dwell on how difficult it is to win on the road.

IMO, too many coaches in all sports make such a big deal about road games that it gets into the heads of their players. If the players have doubts about winning on the road, it is not going to happen.

Muss’s attitude might change, but so far, he hasn’t said much about it.

Excellent point. Stay positive. No negative thoughts.

I like it.

he doesn’t seem to dwell on ANYthing other than how his team plays. People always say “no excuses”, but he truly has never given an excuse-even road worries, undersized, undermanned, etc.

GHG

1 Like

Nolan and Mikes teams always played different on the road. Much less of the 90 minutes of Hell on the road. Seems to me the only Nolan teams good on the road were the best teams where it didn’t matter.

1 Like

Using that metric 99% of the teams out there play differently on the road. Just ask Vegas and look at point spreads.

I’d also argue that pressing teams are disadvantaged on the road due to the home advantage on foul calls.

I partially agree with you hognc

I agree that pressing teams are a lot of times disadvantaged on the road due to “home cooking” by the officials, BUT

What we usually refer to as blue bloods get calls on the road. When we were Rollin with Nolan, so did we.

Its always amazed me how much, most of the time, home field or home court advantage matters. I mean the field or the court is the exact same size no matter where you play (baseball of course not). The basket is the same, the ball the same, etc.

It is clear that the officials are affected by the home crowd and so is the play of the team. I get it to some extent, but always shocked at how much affect it has.

Stillgreg, I’ve actually saw some games where the officials went out of their way to make sure they avoided “home cooking”, then in the very next game they officiated they went out of their way to make sure the home team got the calls. The teams that benefited from those officials: KY.

I also would like to point out in the LSU game the other night (Wed), one of those officials has never officiated a game in which KY lost. When that official officiates a KY game they win. Also, prior to last year, he never officiated a game AR won. He called two home games for us last year and we won one.

I know Muss likes to analyze all aspects of the game, I wonder if he looks at the officials and sees a pattern in which they favor a certain team.

By the way, the reason I know about the 100% win rate for KY, is they actually keep a list of every official who has ever officiated their games. Would love to see that list compiled for us.

If I thought officials affected the outcome of games as much as some of y’all, I wouldn’t bother to pay attention. I’d find a new hobby.

Remember, with the technology available today, everything is available for replay.

Of course, they miss calls just like players and coaches aren’t perfect. Do they INTENTIONALLY MISS calls? I don’t think so.

Ask yourself…If I was calling a game viewed by thousands or hundreds of thousands of people who have use of slow motion instant replay, would I intentionally make bad calls?

the point made about officials is very interesting. wonder if the league keeps up with stuff like that?

i thought i read somewhere that muss keeps a chart on officials, what calls they make etc. but i could be wrong. might have been about bama football. that would be something beneficial to a coaching staff i think.

I’m not saying they intentionally affect the outcome (for the most part, like Bake, I have seen some UK games that make me wonder). I am saying judging by just the number of FT shot by the home team vs. the visiting team, game in, game out (there are exceptions of course) it appears that the home crowd has an affect on the officials.

There are other things of course, but I have just noticed the FT numbers over the years. And, I have not looked up any stats, so heck, I could even be wrong (sometime things we just “know” are true, aren’t).

As detailed as CMuss appears to be, I am sure he has a chart on each official in the league. Not on who they “favor” but how they call the game. Remember, these guys are human and each see the block charge a little differently or over the back or whatever. It helps to know those things.

I’ve said this before, I used to coach, there are a couple others on here that also have. General used to be or still is an official. We “know these things.” We also know officials can be manipulated into calls. They can accept money (hard to prove), it can be mandated by the league offices (even harder to prove), a good coach can work over the officials (I would badger an official so much during a game, that by the end if I yelled travel, he’d blow the whistle and signal travel even if the kid was dribbling), and as General posted above, the home crowd can influence the game. Also, something that’s been mentioned before (by General) is some officials like to be seen and make themselves part of the game.

Last year, Jimmy Dykes said every call is reviewed. What is not reviewed is no calls. Such as over the back that occurs more often than not against us. Now, my personal experience in coaching, scouting, and just watching is officials usually won’t make an over the back call when a 6’3 guard has position and a 6’8 or above goes over his back to get the ball. They should, but they usually don’t. All of them say they don’t want to influence the outcome of games, but they all do (whether intentional or not, look at the last 35 seconds of the LSU game, Watford pushes off on Mason, but doesn’t extend his arm, officials won’t call if arm isn’t extended. Mason swipes at the ball with no contact, yes the replay showed a clear pic in which you could see, the official blew the whistle, Mason fouled out, most officials make the call if they see a swipe, what many refer to as an anticipation foul. Then Watford got a call against Whitt, not sure it was a foul, but it was called, replay didn’t show a clear view of that foul. Finally, Desi corrals the blocked Joe shot, pump fakes, gets hammered, the officials signals contact, but time expired before the shot. Watch again, there was time on the clock when Desi got contacted. They influenced the outcome of the game. Whether the calls/no calls were correct or not, they definitely decided LSU won).

BakedHog, “no calls” are also reviewed by conference officials and by thousands of fans watching the games.

Again I ask, if you officiated, would you intentially miss calls in front of thousands of people including your family? Of course you wouldnt.

Why do you think others intentially miss calls? Why do you seem to think all officials are against Arkansas?

Where did you coach? I might have called some of your games which could be the reason you are no longer coaching. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

“No calls” are not always reviewed. Reviewing officiating was discussed by Jimmy Dykes last year. All actual calls are reviewed, but no calls are not subject to review. The league offices do not watch every game to see what calls are missed.

Do some officials intentionally miss calls? Yes. Can it be proven? Every great once in awhile and those officials are kicked out of officiating, but mostly no.

Where did I say all officials are against AR? I made a comment about officials saying they didn’t want to influence games, and spoke on the last 35 seconds of the LSU game, where intentionally or not, they influenced the outcome of the game.

Again, It amazes me that so many could spend 5 minutes or 5 cents on athletic events while thinking the outcomes are determined by crooked refs.

I think INTIMIDATION is the main cause of home-cooking, the home fans are right on top of the action especially in basketball, do people get intimidated when screamed & cussed at you bet they do, they are human!!!
They may be tough & strong willed, but a person can only take so much. Even if they wont admit it

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.