Annual projection of the 2022 Football season

I’ve done this for several seasons now. It’s a simple, but usually reliable process…I look at each game, independently, put my most objective % that we win the game, based on opponent, venue, where it falls in the schedule (i.e., who we played the week before and play the week after), etc. Then, I sum up the percentages, and that’s my predicted number of wins. In probability and statistics, it’s know as the “expected value”.

Normally, I’ve been on the number, or one win/loss away. Last year, I had perhaps my worst ever (can’t remember for sure how far off I was in 2006, but I believe it was worse)…I only predicted 6.15 wins (regular season) and we had 8…so I was almost 2 off.

Here we go:

Cincinnati…65%
S. Carolina…65%
Mizzou State…85%
Texas A&M…50%
Alabama…40%
@ Miss State…60%
@ BYU…55%
@ Auburn…60%
Liberty…75%
LSU…,…70%
Ole Miss…65%
@ Missouri…65%

Add it up, and it comes to 7.55 wins, which means it will come down to the 4 virtual toss-up games (A&M, @ MSU, @ BYU and Bama) to see if we win 2 or 3 of those 4 games to determine if we are 7-5 or 8-4.

Note that I never include Bowl game results (regular season only), because we have no idea who we will play in a Bowl, and the match-up matters.

By the way, I plugged in the most recent ESPN FPI percentages that I could find (they used to show those numbers on the ESPN schedule, but I don’t see them any more), and those figures project 6.5 wins.

Now…to find out what REALLY happens instead of reading everyone’s prediction/projection.

Can’t wait!

Always look forward to this. I think 75% for LSU is too high. I hope not, but that late in the season, the new issues should be gone. We know they have plenty of talent.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.