And at Bama--the expected covid exposion?

Tuscaloosa News reported today that prior to Aug 19 the UA had recorded 158 cases of COVID-19 among employees and students. In the eleven days since, the UA system reports 1,043 cumulative cases among faculty, students, and staff, with 481 new cases between Aug 25 and 27. But … this is small potatoes considering the UA’s campus makes up 35,100 folks, right?

1 Like

Right, it depends on the hospitalizations, and the problems from there. Also how quickly that number multiplies.

got a call from a friend this am-her nephew avoided the SAE house this year, partially for covid risk, and now he and all 4 roommates have fever and myalgias, and another friend of theirs has tested positive. these 5 kids are getting tested today.

got another call from my mother in law, that a friend’s grandson, a sigma chi, has “covid real bad, feels terrible”.

so I’m hesitantly passing on 2nd hand news. but I am very curious if this generation, who have paid ZERO attention to covid, will have a different attitude when they have friends with the disease. I hate people feeling poorly, and pray for all of them, but sometimes people have to SEE something to believe in it. wow, what a weird year.

GHG

2 Likes

There was never any doubt that cases would arise when the student population returned to campuses, the real question will be how those cases are reported, handled and just how significant they become.
Will the Universities and the surrounding communities handle the case loads in an effective manner in order to keep the campuses open?
I certainly hope that they can!

1 Like

I for one, am steering clear of downtown Fayetteville, and particularly where you might find a bunch of students congregating. Going to go into March/April mode as I am 70 and have vulnerabilities that don’t go well with that virus.

1 Like

Is it a disease or is it a virus?

The disease is caused by the virus. Was hammered with that in Grad school. Some people refer to the casual agent as the disease, but the disease is what happens as a result of the casual agent, virus.

1 Like

Aloha Jim,

I marvel at your memory! The only thing I remember from grad school is it’s location and graduation!

GHG!

2 Likes

Good to know and thanks for clarifying that. It’s a virus, not a disease but could become a disease after the virus. Is that correct?

Disease is the whole process caused by in this case, the viral infection.

I’m not a virologist or ID-guy, but the virus is coronavirus 19, and I think when they say covid, they mean the disease state/clinical manifestations of corona virus 19.

Kinda like HIV is the virus and the disease it causes is AIDS.

GHG

Getting back to the original post, Bama has had cases in about 3% of the student body. The state of Alabama as a whole is about at 2.5% (2535 cases per 100,000 population per the latest CDC numbers, updated today at covic.cdc.gov). So their rate is slightly higher than the general population. Probably quite a bit higher than the overall rate in Alabama for ages 18-24, but I can’t find those figures even at the Alabama Department of Public Health website.

By the way, Arkansas’ statewide case rate is almost exactly 2% of the general population and the UA case rate, although a slight surge on Thursday (52 new cases), is well under 1% with fewer than 100 cases either through positive tests or self reports.

One thing to keep in mind is that Alabama’s positivity rate is 12.7% vs. Arkansas at 8.5%. Based on that, I’m sure Alabama actually has quite a bit more actual cases than Arkansas per capita. It’s always interesting to me see the downward curve of cases in a state where at the same time a very high positivity rate indicating lots more cases than the tested numbers.

You stated disease in your original post. I was looking for clarification. Its a virus, not a disease, is that correct?

I’d go with Jim’s clarification.

Who is Jim? What was the clarification?

The virus is named SARS-CoV-2, actually, which is short for “severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2”. The name was chosen because the virus is genetically related to the SARS virus identified in 2003.

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/technical-guidance/naming-the-coronavirus-disease-(covid-2019)-and-the-virus-that-causes-it

COVID-19 is the disease, and it’s short for COronaVIrus Disease identified in 2019

So it’s a virus, not a disease?

The “D” in “Covid 19” designates disease. The virus is coronavirus 19.

Thanks, so your saying that the virus is a disease? Is that correct?