Am I hoping for too much ?

Could there be a chance Sabin retires after Championship number 5

No

Don’t think he will, but who knows.
That was NC #6
He is tied with the Bear now.

Why with that QB, future looks bright

No one wants to tie a record, they want to set the record.

He’s looking for 7 now.

He is now tied with Bear Bryant with 6 championships. He needs one more to break the Bear’s record.

BTW, waking up to reporters calling Tuscaloosa “Title Town”. This will not be a good day, nor week.

He’s not retiring after 7 & if 8 comes fairly soon (& it will), he’s not retiring then, either.

And I don’t want him to retire. Like Bear Bryant and other great coaches , they are few and far apart.

We at Arkansas have our work cut out to compete with those big and fast Elephants—just like all the other SEC boys do. Hugh Freeze has some issues but owning two wins over Saban is not one of them. Not going to happen but wouldn’t you like to see how Freeze would do as Saban’s offensive coordinator–rehab like Kiffin!!

Only Saban can bench a Five Star QB with a 25/2 record in the NC game and find a Five Star true freshman that is better at half. Not only is the talent unlimited at Bama but he has the coaching skills to manage all the pieces into a machine that almost runs itself. The Bear’s tower will have to fall on him before he stops coaching.

[quote=“Hogsrus”]

Only Saban can bench a Five Star QB with a 25/2 record in the NC game and find a Five Star true freshman that is better at half. Not only is the talent unlimited at Bama but he has the coaching skills to manage all the pieces into a machine that almost runs itself. The Bear’s tower will have to fall on him before he stops coaching.

[/quote] think about that: true freshman to true freshman in OT to win the NC. How can we ever hope to challenge Bama while Saban is there? we can’t

While I badly want to see Alabama lose, especially to Arkansas, I have to step back and admire what I am seeing. This is a historical event I never thought would be possible in the modern era. I read about the old college football dynasties, like Notre Dame, Alabama, and Oklahoma, I never thought we would see one again. Back then, those schools had huge resource advantages, lax rules, and no scholarship limitations. They also did not have to worry about kids leaving early for the pros. Today’s NCAA rules attempt to level the playing field and has done that better than before. Not to mention, to win a National Championship you have to actually win a tournament, not just convince some voters to elect you.

What Nick Saban is doing is remarkable. He sees many of his best players leave through graduation or leave early to enter the draft every season. He basically has to reload every year. But, he not only has to reload his players, but has to reload his coaches every year as they get hired away. He has built a dynasty like I have never seen in my life (I’m 49) and done it in an environment that tries its best to not let that happen.

Like I said, I want to see Arkansas beat them in the worst way and I want to see them fall from their perch atop the SEC. On the other hand, I really am in awe of what Saban has done and can not help but admire his ability to build a dynasty in this environment. We are witnessing history.

Great post. This is how I feel about it.

Always want Arkansas to beat them, but if as a college football fan you almost have to respect what he’s done. Every coach and fan would like to trade places with him/Bama.

As I was trying to decide just who I would “root” for in last night’s game, this is the point I settled on; I didn’t really care, for traditional reasons, whether Bama or Georgia won the game. Not a fan or hater or either team. But it crossed my mind that if Bama keeps winning NC’s, he might get bored with it - or, at least, want a different challenge.

I think all of the rest of use in the SEC West are playing for second until he moves on. And, yes, I am aware that Auburn won the West this year. But things fell just right on the schedule for AU, catching Bama at home in the final game of the year, etc. But even at that, it was Bama holding the trophy last night, while AU was at home, licking its wounds from a Bowl loss.

I’m not sure Nick will ever be “satisfied”; but, the other side is that he has built a monster with a nearly insatiable appetite. Some of the Bama boards were very critical of him at halftime of last night’s game, even suggesting that if he didn’t make moves to rally the team to victory (which, as it turned out, he did) that he should be replaced! Idiocy, of course, but that’s the level of pressure he has set himself up for there. Nothing short of WINNING the NC game will satisfy their fans. Sooner or later, he may get tired of that after all he’s done for Alabama.

We can only hope!

Well at least Auburn can say they lost to the REAL national champions, not those 2 teams they beat in the regular season.

The thing that will push Saban away from coaching is a health change in his family. I do not see that right now. I was pulling for Georgia last night because I like both Jim Chaney and Sam Pittman. The Alabama connection was Alex Mortensen, working on the offensive staff at Alabama as a consultant.

i’m afraid that Saban will be at Alabama until he wins his 10th national championship.i think only then will he consider retirement and leave.he would establish a pinnacle so high that it wouldn’t be broken.this was the 5th championship in 9 years.Alabama held the previous record of 5 in 16 years as the shortest time period.i could see another 5 within 10 more years if things continue on …unfortunately for us and the rest of the SEC…just my 2 cents

Finebaum has said it will be sooner rather than later (thus the no buy-out contract) I believe he is (1) mediocre season or #7 title (whichever comes 1st) away from retiring from coaching football period.