All Hog to the Grave

This is just for fun as there are many members on here that span from numerous decades with the Hogs.

Which 5 former Hog Football players would you say still hold the deepest allegiance to the Razorback Organization? I love hearing these old Razorback players talk about the Hogs with passion. Some seem like they move on and never mention much of their time here again. I think it’s cool when they show big bowl games…and you see many of the program greats cheering on the sidelines with the current team.

I would say Jerry Jones has to be towards the top of the list as far as all that he continues to do for the program. Steve Atwater still seems to be all Hog.
Do you ever here Jimmy Johnson say much anymore?

Clay or Dudley …who would you say?

Ken Hatfield is very supportive of the program

Jim Lindsey right up there,

Johnson had a fallout with Broyles because he (JJ) thought he should have gotten the HC job in Fayetteville twice - most particularly, when Hatfield got it instead - and he basically turned his back on the program for about 3 decades after that (except when his Miami Hurricane teams were beating Hatfield’s Hogs). Of course, there is another side to that story - namely, that Johnson had had his hand slapped by the NCAA for recruiting violations associated with a QB out of Dallas that ended up at Ohio State instead of Arkansas (Rex Gerald) when JJ was an assistant under Broyles. That both pissed off and scared Broyles about what Johnson might do to the program (NCAA violations) as a head coach. Right or wrong, he went in another direction (It is worth pointing out that the NCAA investigators spent a lot of time in both Stillwater and Miami during and after Johnson’s time with those teams).

Johnson is a “cold” person anyhow - everyone in Dallas that paid any attention to his “real” story knows that. But, he seems to have softened just a bit when it comes to his alma mater. He came back for a spring game toward the end of the Nutt era, IIRC. And I believe he’s made the 50th reunion of the 1964 Championship team a few years back.

Quinn Grovey seems loyal.

Tough to limit it, but I’ll take a shot and name 7

Jerry and Stephen Jones
Jim Lindsey
David Bazzel
Quinn Grovey
Marvin Caston
Ken Hatfield

But there are a host of them - seemingly a lot of OL

Yep - you’re right. I pretty much miss that name the same way every time . . . don’t know why. “Rod” is not that difficult to remember - you’d think . . . just hard-wired in my brain incorrectly, for whatever reason. Maybe cross-wiring it with Ohio State QB Rex Kern, who played a few years before Gerald.

Great post Wiz. I did see the ESPN doc that went into a lot of that. I think you are right that he did attend a reunion a while back. I’m glad he is softening a bit with age.

Great list. How could I forget about Bazzel. He definitely has continued to support the Hogs in huge ways over the years. You don’t hear much about Dan Hampton these days. What’s his story?

Clearly, the list is too long to limit to five. And there is room to critique this no matter what I come up with in such a short time. What you call supportive can have many interpretations. What you are looking for is hard to define. Is it the most money? The most loyal in attendance? The greatest players who come back the most? Who gets in front of the national sports scene with a Razorback on it the most? That’s really what some might use for their list.

I don’t really know where to start. Is it someone like Kenoy Kennedy who lives in Terrell, Texas who has five season tickets and comes to almost every game with his family? He was a top player in the NFL. He loves the Hogs no matter what.

Is it Jim and Lyndy Lindsey who have done so much so many times without anyone even knowing they did it? There is a third generation on the field in Jack Lindsey. He’s a walk-on and will probably play this year (as the holder on kicks).

Jerry Jones is sending the third generation in his family to play. That is kind of like Jim, should count for a lot.

Barry Lunney, Jr., could fit there as both a player and a coach. He’s still on staff. His grandfather played for the Hogs. So would Quinn Grovey, who quarterbacked in two Cotton Bowls as a SWC champ.

Clearly, Ken Hatfield fits somewhere on the list. He’s been great as a player, coach and now a member of the College Football Playoff committee. His reputation is wonderful and he’s on the all-time list in multiple ways.

Is it Clyde Scott? He probably wasn’t thought of a lot until the last year when he passed away. But he brought more attention to the Arkansas program in the 40s than anyone had done. You win a medal in the Olympics in a high profile event and leave Navy to come home? What is that worth to the program? Hard to say it wasn’t huge.

Darren McFadden finished second in the Heisman Trophy list two times and is right there in the SEC stat books with the likes of Herschel Walker and Bo Jackson.

How about Lance Alworth? You’d have to say that players like Alworth and Scott were two of the greatest all-time athletes at Arkansas. Alworth was a multiple sport athlete at Arkansas, too. He was a great center fielder in baseball.

If you move to basketball, then you’d put Sidney Moncrief and Corliss Williamson on a list of those who brought fame to the Razorbacks. Both are Arkansans.

And, you wouldn’t be fair without listing the likes of Frank Broyles, Nolan Richardson, John McDonnell, Lance Harter, Chris Bucknam and Eddie Sutton for their coaching successes. All but Sutton have won national titles at Arkansas. Sutton is in the Hall of Fame.

I’ll stop there at the risk of leaving a lot of room for criticism.

I’d add Dave Van Horn to the list. How about Ron Brewer Sr. and Jr.? There’s so many especially when you look at athletes from the so-called “minor” sports.

One name that has not been mentioned is Orville Henry. As a journalist Orville had to be objective in covering our beloved Razorbacks. But (at least in my mind) we knew where his loyalty stood. It’s my opinion that second to J. Frank Broyles Orville brought the Razorback brand to life with his gift for the written word and focus on details lost to many of us.

I respectfully add OH to the list.