All-America Ballot

I received my All-America ballot today from the National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association (NCBWA). It has six Razorbacks on the ballot. They are:

• Trevor Ezell, 1B
  • Casey Martin, SS
  • Heston Kjerstad, OF
  • Dominic Fletcher, OF
  • Isaiah Campbell, SP
  • Matt Cronin, RP

I thought it was interesting that last week on our podcast Aaron Fitt said Arkansas might have more All-Americans than any other program this year.

For what it’s worth, I thought Matt Goodheart should be on the ballot as a DH because of what he has done in SEC play (.429/.610/.532). Those rank second, third and first, respectively in SEC games-only, and he is tied for the league lead in triples (2) and second in doubles (9). Twelve of his 29 hits have been for extra bases.

Goodheart for sure needs to be recognized he has been our best hitter for a while now. This team has had several people play well especially the freshman Nesbit and Franklin those two have been phenomenal and we would not be where we are without them.

My view is that you must be among the top 2 or 3 leaders in your own conference to be “All America”.

With that said, aside from Goodheart, no Hog has stellar numbers this year.

You can’t base All-America simply on numbers. There is an eye test that has to be factored.

Dominic Fletcher isn’t the best outfielder offensively, but he does so many things defensively that you would be hard-pressed to find a better all-around player at his position. There isn’t a stat that tracks the difficulty of running or diving catches, of how he expertly positions himself before an at-bat to be in position based on a hitter’s tendencies. He’s definitely an All-America candidate in my book.

The same goes for a player like Isaiah Campbell. He doesn’t have the ERA as Emerson Hancock, TJ Sikkema or Zack Thompson, but those pitchers in the East aren’t facing SEC West lineups six times a year. Plus, like Blaine Knight last year, Campbell has gone head-to-head against some of the best pitchers in the country (Ethan Small, Tanner Burns, Drake Fellows) and held his own. In fact, Campbell’s numbers are on pace to be better than Knight’s a year ago when Knight was an All-American. He’s having an All-America-type year.

So many awards and accolades now are being based on statistics alone. I take great pride in factoring the all-around package when I vote for an award or All-America or All-SEC.

I think Goodheart has a really good chance of being voted All-SEC. The only other DH that I can think might challenge him is Nelson Maldonado at Florida. In SEC play, Goodheart has clearly been the better of the two.

Good stuff Matt…thank you sir!

[quote=“MattJones”]

You can’t base All-America simply on numbers. There is an eye test that has to be factored.

Dominic Fletcher isn’t the best outfielder offensively, but he does so many things defensively that you would be hard-pressed to find a better all-around player at his position. There isn’t a stat that tracks the difficulty of running or diving catches, of how he expertly positions himself before an at-bat to be in position based on a hitter’s tendencies. He’s definitely an All-America candidate in my book…

So many awards and accolades now are being based on statistics alone. I take great pride in factoring the all-around package when I vote for an award or All-America or All-SEC.

[/quote]Ok, you make a pretty good argument for Dom, although I don’t think great fielding is as important as great hitting. But, as MSU is playing right now, I decided to track down Jake Mangum’s #s (I would have previously thought he was All SEC based on gut feel).

So, in contrast: Dom has 1 error and a fielding % of .992 (almost incredible); this compares to Jake’s 2 errors for a .981 fielding %…they are very close here. In regard to the hitting #'s, Jake was at .399 to start the day, having an OBP of .451 (leading off), and a slugging % of .521. Dom’s hitting numbers compare fairly well to Jake’s with BA at .317, OBP of .379, and a slugging % of .545.

I haven’t looked at other CF numbers for the SEC, but I’d think (including the fielding #'s) that Dom’s performance puts him in the top 2 or 3 in the SEC (if not very close)…and then there’s that swagger you noted (also, maybe the SEC girls think Dom looks better in the outfield :smiley: ).

[quote=“daBoar”]

Something to keep in mind: the All-America and All-SEC teams don’t take into account center field, left field or right field; there are just designations for outfield. So it isn’t far-fetched to think Mangum and Fletcher could both end up one or both postseason teams.

There’s been games where a different player came up with the big hit or hits and knocked in runs or hit the homer! From 1 thru 9 there’s a player who has gotten the job done.
Goodheart should be on the ballot.