Alex Grinch Speed D is perfect I think

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/wsu … -rankings/

I read the stuff Dudley posted yesterday. Not a lot of experience, but you cannot argue with his results. Love the idea of a crazed attacking speed defense.

Should be no problem recruiting the talent needed for it.

ESPN did a detailed segment on Grinch during the Washington State-Southern Cal game in September. Essentially, his philosophy changed some when WSU could not recruit the big defensive linemen to Pullman.

What WSU does not face much on the West Coast are the big offensive lines and power run games that we see in the SEC. If he is hired at Arkansas, I think his approach will have to be modified some to account for that.

He spent time at Missery, so he should know what it takes here

I just hope we have an attacking defense and not the passive bend but don’t break junk we have be known for the past few years. We have to have a pass rush. Gang tackling would be nice too!

I know people don’t like this, but at both Clemson and SMU, Morris’ offense went first. At Clemson it took two years, at SMU it took three years. Then at Clemson they started on the defense. We don’t know how SMU would have improved next year, but it seems Morris is an offense first type of guy. Clemson was 79th (ESPN) in total offense (the year before he arrived) and by the end of year two they were 6th. SMU was 119 by the end year three they were 8th. We were 63rd this year. We should make a significant jump. By the way Clemson was 24th in total offense by the end of his first year.

Now having said that, I think it’ll be two years before the offense is where he wants it. The question is, how long will it take the defense to catch up? So, we maybe looking at 4,5,6 years before we get where most of us want. Problem is, and I’ve said this before, I think aTm made a colossal mistake with their hire, and I have no doubt in year five (probably three) aTm will come calling. I also think Gus will either be on the hot seat or fired and we will be wondering will the bus return to Fayetteville.

I don’t like it! Morris was hired as the offensive coordinator at Clemson, he immediately did his job. I believe they went 10-3 and finished 1st or 2nd in offense in the conference. He did HIS job. Yeah, Clemson started contending for titles when they developed a top defense, but I don’t know what the hey that has to do w Morris. The rest is just speculation.

Because Clemson went offense first, defense second. At SMU they went Offense first. You may say it’s speculation, but it is what he learned and what he did at his first HC position. No reason to think he will go defense first here.

What do you mean “they went offense first”? Does it mean they coached offense harder, they disproportionally signed offensive players, they consciously recruited better offensive players and worse defensive players??? I get that the offense got better quicker, but what were they holding off on doing with the defense during those first years to imply they weren’t trying as hard to improve the defense?

I expect to see this trend as well.

[quote=“bakedhog19741”]

I know people don’t like this, but at both Clemson and SMU, Morris’ offense went first. At Clemson it took two years, at SMU it took three years. Then at Clemson they started on the defense. We don’t know how SMU would have improved next year, but it seems Morris is an offense first type of guy. Clemson was 79th (ESPN) in total offense (the year before he arrived) and by the end of year two they were 6th. SMU was 119 by the end year three they were 8th. We were 63rd this year. We should make a significant jump. By the way Clemson was 24th in total offense by the end of his first year.

Now having said that, I think it’ll be two years before the offense is where he wants it. The question is, how long will it take the defense to catch up? So, we maybe looking at 4,5,6 years before we get where most of us want. Problem is, and I’ve said this before, I think aTm made a colossal mistake with their hire, and I have no doubt in year five (probably three) aTm will come calling. I also think Gus will either be on the hot seat or fired and we will be wondering will the bus return to Fayetteville.

[/quote] geez the Gus talk must end forever. If Morris takes off for AtM, I hope Norvell is still available

[quote=“fatback”]

I agree with you, never wanted Gus, but if Morris takes off, Gus will be in play. Everyone saying he burned his bridges will be “excited” when his name surfaces again.

I respectfully disagree. I think the Gus ship has sailed. Never again. Play me once, shame on you. Play me twice, shame on me.

I can’t see any situation where Arkansas would try to hire Gus Malzahn. He led us to believe he wanted this job. We offered him everything a coach would want. He chose Auburn. I was always a Gus fan and wanted him as our coach, but not now. The fan base is united behind the new coach and the dream for Gus is long gone. Auburn moved way up in my pecking order for teams I love to beat. The Plainsmen are just below those cheatin scoundrels at Ole Miss.

“I think aTm made a colossal mistake with their hire, and I have no doubt in year five (probably three) aTm will come calling”

If his contract has that clause prohibiting moving to an SEC school, he cannot bolt for A&M.

I don’t think he has one

Looked at his contract, didn’t see anything that said no compete

Jimbo’s contract is guaranteed money, so if they want to fire him in year five without cause they will owe him $ 37.5 million dollars. Jimbo would also be old enough at that point where maybe he does not want to take another job, so the Aggies might get stuck for just about the whole wad. Even for a rich school like A &M, that would be tough, when you think about having to go hire some one else.

Is Grinch going to Ohio State?

The latest I’m seeing is Grinch to Ohio St. His rumors are all over the place. :smiley:
I don’t think Arkansas was ever a possibility. One guy writes it, it’s all over the 'net.