After this week,

I wonder at the number of cases that may come out of the 200,000 cycle guys in SD a week or so after they go home.

I read this morning that the people in Sturgis decided to have the festival anyway because the bikers told them they were coming to SD whether the festival was canceled or not. So they might as well prepare for the onslaught.

I was through Sturgis over New Years and it was a ghost town. It does not exist without the bike run. I guess they think either we open up for the cycles or we bulldoze the town. Looks like this is a sign of those most desperate.

Yeah, in normal years, bike week in Sturgis generates about $800 million for the city. Normally, they get 500,000 to 700,000 bikers each year. This year they were expecting around 250,000. I haven’t yet seen any actual numbers for this year. It started last Friday.

We (3 couples) were all set to go to Sturgis from south Florida in the late 90s. The other 2 couples were going to drive up in a pick-up and trailer the 3 bikes. My wife and I were flying to Arizona and going to pick up my Dad’s pick-up and Avion travel trailer and drive to Sturgis and meet up with them.

Unfortunately, my mother had a pretty severe stroke, and they decided to move back to Arkansas a few months before the Sturgis run. The 2 guys, both firemen, decided to drive their Harley’s up from South Florida. We passed and so did both their wives. 3-4 hard days on a Harley each way was just too much. We went to Daytona bike week 8 or 10 times while in Florida, but I have regretted never making the Sturgis run.

I’m not a biker. Not sure I’ve even been on a motorcycle since I had a Honda as a teenager. I understand the thrill of motorcycles even though I think they’re a bit too dangerous for my taste. However, I can’t understand why anyone would get much of a thrill going to a small remote town in No. Dakota just to be around several hundred thousand other bike riders. Why do you regret missing it & what is it that would have made it particularly enjoyable? Serious question.

Hard to explain if you haven’t ridden a Harley on the highway in scenic places. There’s a feeling of total freedom, especially if you are riding with other enthusiasts. They say there is no place in the US with as beautiful scenery as in South Dakota.

I always found hitting the road on a Harley to be therapeutic after a hard week at work. We had a really nice group of people to ride with in South Florida. Three firemen, a dentist, 2 doctors, several commercial construction people, and a policeman, who came in handy a couple times. My wife was CFO for a Commercial construction company in Florida and several of their VPs road with us.

The ride to Key West bike week every year was amazing! Of course, there is a LOT of partying after you arrive.

1 Like

I am not a gloom and doom guy and have feelings that the tenor of the loudest voices regarding the pandemic are not without opportunism, but even with this mindset, I find the Sturgis festival very questionable. Unlike an event where the crowd size and spacing can mitigate some of the exposure, it would seem with this size crowd in a city not geared for this time of crowd on a regular basis, seems reckless.

When I can only speak about where I live here in Mississippi which was probably the hottest spot in the country for the last 3 or 4 weeks… has now had a dramatic decrease the last week, Governor has really been stressing wearing a mask and pretty much everywhere I go that’s what I see so it’s good to see the numbers going way down here hopefully they will go down everywhere

I think one thing that can make the numbers decrease is the sudden realization by people in hard hit areas that this thing is real, it’s dangerous, & it’s hitting their neighbors. When it was limited to NYC, it was easy to ignore. Now the poor people of AZ, FL, TX, MS & GA are getting hammered. At least they were getting hammered. The numbers aren’t increasing quite so much in some of those areas.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.