After reading most of the after game posts this morning

I think that all the moaning and negative thoughts after the win is based on one simple fact. Hog fans have greatly underestimated how good A&M is this season. I know, it’s hard to imagine after the way A&M played last season.

They have an excellent coach in Buzz, just like the Hogs have an excellent coach in Muss. A&M plays great team defense and they play D as hard as the Hogs are playing D these last 4 games. A&M has very good guards this season on both ends of the court. They have an excellent SF who can shoot or drive to the basket equally well.

They were fresh off a close loss to KY where they led most of the game and trailed by 3 with just 11 seconds left in the game. They had opportunities to win that game.

Barring a major injury, I believe they will end the season a top 6 team in the SEC and get a 6-9 seed in the NCAA tournament.

I wasn’t a believer about A&M until I watched their KY game, and now the AR game. They are for real. I consider this an excellent win for the Hogs.

7 Likes

I agree Harley. That was a very good, well coached team we played. Frankly, I was amazed and thankful we won after all the late mistakes we made. Thank goodness for Williams. We didn’t play very smart late, but still pulled out a W over a very good team.

2 Likes

So true. Jaylin has quickly become a top 10 (or 5) player in the SEC. I can’t tell you how many times last night I said your exact words. His stats in SEC play have been spectacular.

2 Likes

Hush your mouth, some NBA scout might be reading… kidding aside, you are right and I so wanted him for four years but doubt that now.

It’s also possible that the NBA doesn’t see JWill’s skill set as sufficiently developed for the next level. Which would be bad for him but great for us (keeping him for four years).

2 Likes

I fully agree with you, Harley. We beat a good team last night, IMO.

1 Like

The offense has to run through JWiil. He is a team player. He is developing into an inside scoring threat who can distribute the ball and take pressure off the perimeter players.

2 Likes

Those guys were dogs. They contested every thing and scratched and clawed and refused to lose to the bitter end. Very happy to get out of that one with a win.

1 Like

Hesitate to post this but… Ithink JWill has a couple of things I’d like to see him develop. First stronger with the ball when going to the rack as he seems to get stripped a lot and second, although I enjoy watching him set up for charges I’d really like to see him develop his shot blocking skills in the post. Assure y’all I am not denigrating him or his contributions to this team.

1 Like

His charges bring a lot more to the table than any shots he might block. A charge is a foul and a turnover by the other team. He should just keep on playing the way he is. Love that kid!

1 Like

Conversation was translating to The League. Great college player no doubt, love he’s a Razorback but there are deficiencies in his game going to the next level.

But he is developing nicely. Getting more confidence hitting 3’s to. He didn’t come to AR as possible 1 & done. But he might be a 3 & done. If he keeps progressing.

1 Like

It was a great win ! JWill will be a beast when fully mature physically and his b-ball IQ seems very high. WPS

1 Like

After watching A&M play Saturday, my evaluation is that they are a very disciplined, well-prepared team. I think forcing us to bring the ball up slowly shortened the game and gave them a better chance to stay in it in a hostile environment. Smart. And the stuck with it. They shoot the 3 well, but we defended it better this time than at their place. In fact, I thought we won the game on the defensive end. I’d be surprised if the Aggies don’t at least stay on the bubble all season, if not make the tournament outright.

2 Likes

A&M is very well coached. They do what they do well, and don’t try to do what they don’t do well.

1 Like

Buzz is an excellent coach. Was a great hire for A&M. But that 3-piece suit look of his…god almighty that’s just awful…

3 Likes

The jumper J-Will made at the end of OT as the shot clock was winding down was blankety blank clutch! It wasn’t an easy shot. He’s already good but I think he’s going to be great before he leaves the Hill.

And I agree, the offense needs to run through him. I realize JD is leading the SEC in scoring but it frustrates me that the offense seems to bog down with the ball in his hands. I think Coach Muss is resigned to what he’s going to get from him as well as doesn’t have many other options at guard.

1 Like

Absolutely. What really impressed me after I got back and watched the replay of that shot, was the elevation he got. He rarely shows that “hop” he’s got in rebounding or even in finishing at the rim.

Once he incorporates that athleticism he has into his entire game he will be unstoppable. He’s a terrific rebounder now because of his “want to” and great positioning. He’ll take his game to a new level if he can incorporate that into his whole game. He’ll never be a “freak” athlete, but he has plenty of athleticism to play at the next level as he further develops it into his game.

2 Likes

Since we are not a good 3 pt team, J-Will needs to touch the ball (not just helping bring it down) in the offense. He is a great passer, something the point guards need to learn, and can score as we saw in that last shot.

The guys out front will get much better shots if that is what they need if the ball goes into number 10 first. Don’t know why that is so difficult to see. Sure, there are times when someone else is open and the ball should go right to them. Very seldom should anyone just dribble the ball round and round just to see if it will bounce. That will create a TO the wrong way in time.

1 Like

Reason offense bogs down is becuz the other 4 on the court are watching JD and standing around. Gotta move w/o the ball. “Move!” as Nolan used to yell at his players when the offense got stagnant.

1 Like