ADG Guys: 4 Questions about "UAF"

As a subscriber the ADG newspaper, HawgsIllustrated magazine and a member of this site, I have 4 questions regarding the “University of Arkansas, Fayetteville” stuff. I think the questions are fair and deserve to be answered. What I don’t think is fair is for an “information sharing” organization to not share information about its own controversial decisions.

1. What is the reason for making this change and forcing it into every article possible? Wally says it’s “just for record keeping”. Seems like records were kept before 2017 and this is a silly excuse for the real motive. What is it?

2. Why doesn’t the ADG apply this same diminishment to other state schools? Does the answer to #1 not apply to “Texas”, “Oklahoma”, “Alabama”, “Tennessee”, “Florida”, etc. which are still recognized without adding “Austin”, “Norman”, etc.?? What’s the difference? Does the ADG hold Texas and Alabama in higher esteem than it does Arkansas?

3. Whose decision was this? Let them stand behind their decision. Why hide them unless their motives are insidious and cannot be explained - because that is the obvious conclusion otherwise.

4. Is it good business for the ADG, or any organization for that matter, to go out of its way to tick off its customers - especially considering the direction of this particular industry?

There might me good, fair answers to each of these questions. If you could share these answers many subscribers like me might feel a whole lot better about the product they are currently buying but might be questioning at this point.

Good luck getting any answers. If you do, you will be the first (at least as far as I have seen).

All these questions have been asked and ignored.

As to number 3, I have asked that several times, no answer. Matt (who I like by the way) posted once about how he would get any comments we had “to him” (being the guy who made the decision), so I responded by asking my “who is ‘him.’” Crickets. I know that isn’t close to being the only time it has been asked. That is just one I remember because i asked it.

Email and ask the questions to Jason Yates at jyates@arkansasonline.com or Jeff Krupsaw at jkrupsaw@arkansasonline.com

Like everyone else I find this extremely annoying. It is The University of ARKANSAS. PERIOD!

I live out of state and enjoy this website as my only connection to Razorback news. The only way to get their attention is to unsubscribe. But, I don’t want to do that. I have been a subscriber to Hawgs Illustrated for over 15 years and I feel like I know Clay, Dudley, and Matt. I also love what Richard brings to the table. I think all of those people I mentioned are also upset with the decision and have expressed that on here.

We all know it is an ego thing where somebody, probably a group, wants to disrespect the Razorbacks.

Just a thought: You are one of numerous insiders here on a site we PAY for that were asked a specific question numerous times. Why don’t YOU send those guys an email & post their responses for your paid clients to read. Y’all avoiding answering or attempting to answer your paid clients questions sure takes away from the idea of us paying for website. I call BS!!

The editor of the ADG made the decision. It is clearly a decision he came to because of pressure from Arkansas-Little Rock to be called Little Rock (not their name) and not UALR. They do not want to be called UA-Little Rock or UALR. But their official name is Arkansas-Little Rock. Arkansas State University wants to be called just A-State. They want that as first reference. They don’t want Arkansas State in stories, just A-State. The University of Arkansas system lists schools as this: University of Arkansas at Little Rock. And, University of Arkansas, Fayetteville. That’s on the official system page website. So it was decided by the editor of the paper that it would use that as the official reference, and use the official reference to Arkansas State the way they list it on their website, too.

Now, none of that applies to Hawgs Illustrated or anything written by my staff. I am the publisher and we will use it as Arkansas in first reference, same as always. My columns appear in the Northwest Arkansas Democrat Gazette at times. They read Arkansas and/or Razorbacks, nothing else.

1 Like

Makes perfect sense to me.

I understand the refusal to use “A-State” or “Little Rock” as a first reference to those schools. That would be akin to using “UA” or “UAF” as a first reference for us. Those are not our name, their simply abbreviations. A-State is not even their name. It’s simply an abbreviation they happen to like. Unfortunately for UALR, they actually do need the city name somewhere in the first reference or anyone reading a story about them could be genuinely confused. I can understand why they want to be called “Little Rock” in subsequent references or anytime there’s no chance of confusion (say during a broadcast of their games.) But the designation Univ of Ark, Fayetteville is just plain dumb. The editor of the ADG ought to explain to the other schools if they don’t like their names, they need to change them, but the University of Arkansas has had that name for 140 years & just because it took other campuses into its administrative system, no one ever confuses the University of Arkansas with any of its acquired campuses in other cities & towns.

Are Matt, Richard, and Jimmy instructed to include a reference to the UA, Fayetteville in every article? Or are their articles changed by a copy editor to include that reference somewhere in the article?

The reason I ask is that many of their sports articles read as though a reference to “UA, Fayetteville” is “forced” into their article when the narrative would not call for such a reference to the UA system in Fayetteville.

Why blame ADG? Per Clay’s post, the University of Arkansas lists the school name as University of Arkansas, Fayetteville. ADG is simply using what the UA system uses. The gripe should be with the UA system and not ADG.

Was the decision at UALR to be called Little Rock Trojans only related to their athletic teams? Or were they trying to brand the whole university as just Little Rock? Same question with A-State? If this is just about “branding” their athletic teams why wouldn’t the ADG sports page call them what they want to be called?

You haven’t been following this, have you? Here’s a quick history lesson. Up until 1971 the University of Arkansas existed in one place & one place only–Fayetteville. Starting in about 1972 Little Rock University, Ark AM&N, and Ark A&M became part of a system that was overseen by the Board of Trustees of the UA. Each school gave up its own governing system to be under one administrative body. They became the “University of Arkansas at Little Rock,” “at Pine Bluff,” “at Monticello.” Since then several community colleges, Ft. Smith JC, & Pulaski Tech joined that umbrella. They all got the “at” designation. The University of Arkansas–the real one, the original one, never got an “at” designation. On those occasions where it is or was necessary to distinguish the main campus from the system as a whole, the University of Arkansas added a comma to be the “University of Arkansas, Fayetteville.”

That distinction makes sense when a news story talks about something that a requires distinguishing the campuses from the system as a whole or from each other. For example, if the ADG writes a story that lists amount the legislature appropriates for each campus, or lists the salaries of chancellors or professors, it is sensible to say “UA,F.” Otherwise someone might think the whole system is getting $X when in reality only the main campus is getting $X.

Now, this “comma Fayetteville” thing isn’t new. It’s been there for some 46 years now. For 45 of those years the ADG had no problem having its sports stories say something like the
“Razorbacks”, “Arkansas Razorbacks,” “Arkansas,” or even the “University of Arkansas.” No one ever got confused. To this day when national news media refers to the school whose mascot is the Razorback, it will simply say “Arkansas” or occasionally “University of Arkansas.” Check any scoreboard show.

To this day, when the ADG refers to the University of Mississippi, LSU, University of Name a State, it will simply say that state’s name or perhaps Univ of that state. It never says LSU, Baton Rouge (even though there’s an LSU in Shreveport) or University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa even though there’s one in Birmingham. It will list schools in the SEC as something along the lines of Florida, Ole Miss, Alabama, & University of Arkansas, Fayetteville.

So why blame the ADG? Because the ADG is doing something stupid that even it didn’t think necessary for 45 years. Because the stories it writes are cumbersome & awkward to read when it makes this totally unnecessary designation. Because they’re doing it only because someone at UALR got bent out of shape when the ADG wouldn’t call them only “Little Rock” and insisted that if they have to be “UALR” then it’s only “fair” that the University of Arkansas, that everyone knows is at Fayetteville & needs no further designation ought to have “Fayetteville” after its name.

By the way, until a few weeks ago the ADG didn’t use “comma Fayetteville” it used “at Fayetteville.” It didn’t get that from the website or anyone at the UA. It just did it because they thought it must be “at Fayetteville.” I, and perhaps others, wrote them to let them know that while they were trying to be cute, they shouldn’t be totally inaccurate and that the University of Arkansas, whose main campus, “flagship” campus, & historical existence is and has always been at Fayetteville, has never been an “at Fayetteville” campus. It became “, Fayetteville” after allowing those other schools to use its name & prestige.

That’s why I blame the ADG & why I don’t “gripe” to the UA. If you’re fine with this policy, fine, it’s a free country.

1 Like

Perfect explanation, and I totally agree. In addition, if Clay believed that there weren’t, at least some, ulterior motives of the Demo-Gazette, why would he have elected to NEVER use that “,Fayetteville” in his articles on this site?

Also, most of the sports articles that appear on this site begin with the word “FAYETTEVILLE” in caps. So, why in the world would you ever need to insert “,Fayetteville” anywhere else in the article?

My question: For those upset with this, how have your lives be adversely affected?

'Bout the same as my life is affected by a Razorback win or loss. 'Bout the same as how it’s affected by a United Airline passenger getting dragged off a plane. In fact, it’s affected about the same as it’s affected by far off wars, floods, & tornadoes. Why, what’s your point?

1 Like

[quote=“Neastarkie”]

'Bout the same as my life is affected by a Razorback win or loss. 'Bout the same as how it’s affected by a United Airline passenger getting dragged off a plane. In fact, it’s affected about the same as it’s affected by far off wars, floods, & tornadoes. Why, what’s your point?
[/quote]To me it seems like there would be more discussion about the possibility of hosting a baseball regional, who will replace the production of Moses, Dusty, Manny and likely Daryl next year, and do we have the LBs to play a 3-4 defense. While those topics are discussed, it seems to pale in comparison to people being pissed off about a newspaper inserting Fayetteville in their coverage of the Hogs. Almost every thread seemed to derail into the newspaper.

It looks like much ado about nothing IMO and I am earnestly trying to understand why people take such offense to this. I guess I shouldn’t be surprised because being offended is the “in” thing to do it seems.

Is Beliema going to lose a RB to our rivals because of what the newspaper calls us? Is the newspapers new found name calling of the UA going to hinder Trey Thompson’s improvement?

I guess I don’t see how it matters one bit what the paper calls the UA.

Should it have garnered discussion on the board? Sure.
Risen to the level that people are questioning the integrity of the owner and employees of this board? Surely not.

The fact that Arkansas’ loss to UNC affected you the same that the newspaper’s new policy affected you is quite stunning to me. You have your head on straighter than I do apparently.

You didn’t ask why something is annoying or whether something bothers me (or us) more or less than another thing. You asked how it adversely affects our lives. A Razorback loss bothers me a whole lot more than this does. In the grand scheme of things far-away disasters should bother us more, but human nature being what it is I will spend more time ruminating about the hog loss.

This UA, Fayetteville thing is mainly annoying because it’s so unnecessary & has an “in your face” aspect to it. If it doesn’t annoy you, fine.

You imply something must be relatively important before it’s discussed on this board. That isn’t and never has been true. I doubt there’s one person on here that wouldn’t rather win the CWS or something like that than discuss this subject. Fortunately, we don’t have to make such a choice. We can discuss minor things as much or as little as we want. Meanwhile, we also put up with you suggesting you think much more seriously & consider meaningful things more than those of us who discuss this. You don’t adversely affect my life, either, but I generally find your posts annoying.

[quote=“Neastarkie”]
You didn’t ask why something is annoying or whether something bothers me (or us) more or less than another thing. You asked how it adversely affects our lives. A Razorback loss bothers me a whole lot more than this does. In the grand scheme of things far-away disasters should bother us more, but human nature being what it is I will spend more time ruminating about the hog loss.

This UA, Fayetteville thing is mainly annoying because it’s so unnecessary & has an “in your face” aspect to it. If it doesn’t annoy you, fine.

You imply something must be relatively important before it’s discussed on this board. That isn’t and never has been true. I doubt there’s one person on here that wouldn’t rather win the CWS or something like that than discuss this subject. Fortunately, we don’t have to make such a choice. We can discuss minor things as much or as little as we want. Meanwhile, we also put up with you suggesting you think much more seriously & consider meaningful things more than those of us who discuss this. You don’t adversely affect my life, either, but I generally find your posts annoying.
[/quote]I never questioned anyone’s right to discuss anything, nor have I suggested that I think about more serious topics than others. This topic seems to have generated an inordinate amount of interest on this board (IMO) compared to other topics. I’m wondering why. I suppose I falsely assumed that to have generated such a backlash from folks displayed on this board it must have affected them in some way. You’ve cleared that up. Thank you.

In regards to your posting habits, I can’t say I can recall anything you’ve posted so congrats on not be annoying I guess.

Great responses to a really dumb but typical question from the board’s resident millennial troll.

The UA system website does list it as University of Arkansas, Fayetteville. And, the comma is exactly where I put it. It doesn’t say University of Arkansas at Fayetteville.