About our holding calls

If I am not mistaken, all of our holding calls were on our receivers. Not one was called on an O-lineman. How unusual was that?

I know I was very impressed that we didn’t get any on the interior, we played a pretty clean game on the OL especially since it was the first game. They are very experienced group but still that’s very impressive against an aggressive defense like Cincinnati

1 Like

Cincy got away with a massive tackle-take down by one of their OL in their last TD. It should never have stood. The film crew captured and keyed on it in an immediate replay of the uncalled holding take down, but not a peep from the announcers about it.

2 Likes

Cincinnati got away with several holds number 74 the one they finally did call one on had two or three grabs that kept us from getting to the QB

1 Like

I knew you would see that and others that my untrained eyes likely missed, but I told my wife it was blatant on a couple. That one was really egregious and aided them greatly in putting a TD on the board.
That was a very physical football game between two teams that wanted a win badly. They were stronger and faster than I expected, and they played without their starting center. It’s easy to see why they win a lot of games.

1 Like

On 1-2 of the WR holds the defender would not have been in the play had the WR just let go once the defender tried to separate. Good initiation and engagement, just held on too long. That is an easy fix. Far better than a “whiff” and a tackle for a loss. Note the good blocking downfield on numerous plays. The WR group is well-coached.

Yes I agree about the WR,they are willing blockers and mix it up pretty good,they will learn to get the hands inside when blocking but liked what I saw of them,can turn sa 5 yd gain into a TD with a good WR block.

Watched the replay, the anouncers complimented the receiver’s (Ketron Jackson?) block on Knox’s 32-yard TD reception. Noted he didn’t really engage, just positioned himself between Knox and the defender, avoiding possibilty of a penalty. As they said, don’t always have to pancake the guy, sometimes just getting in his way is just as effective.

The rule in blocking is to position yourself between the defender and the ball carrier and if you can do that and hold your ground, you will be effective… yes it looks nice to pancake someone but with the skill people we have on this team if you just get squared up on the defender, they will be gone

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.