A response to Colin Kaepernick

This Facebook post was written by the daughter of a dear friend. When she says that she seriously watches football, she is not exaggerating.

As an American and a Veteran, what he did disgusts me. However, he has the right to do that. I have the right not to agree with it.

I think it is a tough situation. We do live in a free country with the freedom to say and do generally what we wish and that to me includes not standing or even as far as burning the flag.
While most of us would never do that, those who think they should are allowed in our free country. Frankly I think it is self defeating but I harbor no ill feeling toward this man, but think it was foolish at best.

I personally have wondered for years if playing the National Anthem before 10,000 high school, pro, college football games a week does not lower the prestige of playing it.

I do hope he stands in the future, but do respect his right to not.

I have always thought that. It seems to be a uniquely North American thing. Here they play the national anthem before 5K road races with 50 runners, which I think is ridiculous. They do not play “God Save the Queen” before every English soccer match, or “Deutschland Uber Alles” before every German soccer match. Not before marathons with tens of thousands of runners, either. The anthem is pretty much saved for events involving the national teams.

As for Kaepernick’s action, I’m not real fond of it either, but the First Amendment can be read as protecting not freedom of speech, but freedom of UNPOPULAR speech. After all, if you’re saying what everyone else says or thinks, there’s really no need for protection. Remember the quote variously attributed to Patrick Henry and to Voltaire (although it may have been uttered by neither): [quote]I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it
[/quote]

“Lesser”

One of the great ironies in all of this, is that one of his grievances is the KKK protesting the NAACP. One of the great things about this country, is that our constitution, which braver men and women than me have defended for over 200 years now, gives us the right to state extreme and sometimes very stupid opinions. BLM has been known to spout slogans that advocate the killing of police officers. Some of their followers have acted on those words. IMHO, they are just as vile as the klan. Still, the constitution protects the speech of both groups. Meanwhile, good and decent people of all races across this great land will continue to work together, play together, worship together and love each other. Stand or sit Colin. I don’t care. I’ve got plenty of more important things to focus my attention on.

I will only say this. There isn’t much left sacred from our founding father’s Dedicated Traditions. We have taken out (or allowed it to be taken out), prayer, our traditional religions, even the pledge of allegiance from our school systems and most of our society in general. In God We Trust mantra is on the endangered list as well.
Our National Anthem has been left voluntary to recognize or not, but it stands as a reminder how we got our freedoms and rights to voice opinion and/or take a stand to dispute issues whether personal or civil.
You need to get on the right page Mr Kapernick with you issue to make a statement.

I understand the right to do what he is doing, but I don’t understand why he takes that position to make a statement when all it does is inflame a lot of people with that method.

Show me where he has made commitments to inner cities and/or the black communities especially financially where he makes millions off sports fans nation wide.

What he has chosen to do will add to the racial divide in this country and cause a lot of sports fans to drop him as someone to cheer for. It will only bring focus to him and not to the cause that he says he is trying to draw attention to.

It will be interesting to see where this goes in the next few weeks.

I am very appreciative of the privilege of free speech and the so many other freedoms we enjoy, but unfortunately I am a bit cynical in his particular case. I know the BLM movement and some of the issues that are at the forefront of the discussion today were not talking points a couple of years ago, but I just wonder how much Kaepernick’s shaky playing status and his social consciousness are wrapped together.

[/quote]

There is no doubt about it. He is 100% free to state his opinion and I would HATE it if he couldn’t (legally) do that. That said, I have the right not to like it. My choice will be to not watch any game in which his team plays. Will that affect him or the NFL? No.

He knows he is not wanted in the 49ers organization. They tried to trade him to no avail. He doesn’t
want to be there either. He has now been long enough this year for his salary to be guaranteed at
this point. Perhaps he figures if he can become enough of a PR nightmare they will cut him. He will still
get paid and he can get out of San Francisco. We all know bad PR will not keep a team from taking a
chance on an available player, just look to Dallas and the Hardy mess.

Not saying any of this is based on any information. Just tossing out a possibility.

I agree.

I’ve never cared for people using sports or entertainment venues to express their political or religious beliefs & think we’ve overused patriotic music in such venues over the past few years. I don’t like Kaepernick’s gesture & don’t like it when players kneel to pray in the EZ or point skyward following a TD. I don’t like the political speeches at the Oscars. I have no beef with people expressing their feelings, but just don’t like it in those venues. I never gave much thought to the playing of the National Anthem before sporting events. I guess that’s because we’ve done ever since I can remember. Still, I’m not sure it doesn’t cheapen the meaning. I know people like to express their patriotism & the traditional game opening anthem is easy enough to allow that, but lately we’ve added “God Bless America” to later innings in baseball games. I understood that immediately following 9/11, but now it just seems cheesy to me. I feel the same way about all the flag waving at Razorback games. It’s time to let that go. JMO.

Not all speech is protected.

True, but only a very types of speech are not protected. Even speech that calls for violence is generally protected. There are circumstances, such as inciting to riot, where it isn’t protected, but even books like the “Turner Diary” are protected.

Unfortunately, peacefully protesting during the anthem seems to be the best way to get national attention to social issues. Four NBA players spoke on this issue at Espy’s and it hardly got attention. Sadly, what Amy suggests hardly works. Talking to a congressman is probably the least effective way, unless you want a personal favor. There has been a long line of athletes using the anthem to protest, starting with Tommy Smith and John Carlos. Kaepernik is not the first one and not the last.

Kaepernik definitely accomplished what he wanted to. Entire talk show circuit is buzzing with this. It has people talking and choosing sides. Sure, some are talking about it was the wrong thing to do but some are also talking about the issue he brought up.

There is no doubt about it. He is 100% free to state his opinion and I would HATE it if he couldn’t (legally) do that. That said, I have the right not to like it. My choice will be to not watch any game in which his team plays. Will that affect him or the NFL? No.
[/quote]

Completely your right, although the chance that Kaepernick will get any meaningful action in red and gold this season is about the same as Ricky Town playing big minutes for us (meaning zero). They don’t want him getting hurt this year which would put them on the hook for his 2017 salary of $14.5 million as well as his 2016 salary (which is $11.9 million), and he’s not playing well enough to force them to do otherwise. He’d be a Bronco now if he had agreed to take a pay cut. I expect him to be wearing a baseball cap for 16 weeks, then they’ll part ways.

Aloha,

What concerns me is that Colin Kaepernick’s view of our country and how it can affect others. He has a platform to display his view which most of us don’t enjoy. And most of us can’t rebuttal on the same platform or equal platform.

I went to Junior High and High School at Arkansas. I have served our Navy for the past 34 years. I have yet to see or experience any racial divide by any race towards another. To me, people like Colin Kaepernick and the Black Lives Matter movement and the concurrence by our president is influencing some people to think we do have a racial divide. Which I just don’t see.

I would like to see in my lifetime Americans stop describing people by their ethnic background. In my eyes, and as I tell my children, I don’t see any African-Americans, Asian-Americans, Latin-Americans, European-Americans or other. I just see Americans.

And when I cheer our Hogs, I just see Razorbacks.

GHG!

I think we’re about the same age. But our experiences have been wildly different, it seems. My hometown had a race riot at the high school in 1971. For the next two years, all schools in the district, including the middle school I was attending, had armed guards in the hallway to prevent that from happening again. And we all knew why those officers were there. In my 4.5 years as a UA student, I observed how the few students of color (mostly black, but some Asian and Middle Eastern as well) at the time were pushed to the side. Blacks in a traditionally white fraternity or sorority? Not a chance. I have no idea if that part has changed much in the 34 years since I left school. Judging from the incident involving the SAE boys at OU, probably not much. We cheer black athletes on Saturday afternoon, but Monday morning they go back to being lesser citizens.

Fast forward to 2016. I still constantly hear people, including members of my family, refer to other ethnic/racial groups by derogatory terms, including the N word. And now we have a nominee for the highest office in the land whose campaign is based on open appeals to racial and religious animosity. I will willingly concede that the military comes much closer to the ideal of a colorblind society than much of the rest of America.

So I completely understand why a Colin Kaepernick or anyone in Black Lives Matter feels marginalized. He may make millions of dollars to play football, but in the end he’s still a minority in a society that frequently treats minorities as lesser citizens – and then can’t understand why they don’t just sit there and take that treatment quietly.

Booger McFarland had a good point tonight on ESPN radio. Much of the turmoil about Kaepernick in the last three days has been citing disrespect to the military. Since when did the national anthem, or the flag, become just about the military? They’re for all 330 million of us. Including almost 100 million of us whose skin is darker than the rest.

I would dearly love to unload a piece of my mind directly to the subject of this thread. However, I have often been regaled with prevailing sentiment from others that I have none to spare - and therefore should abstain from such drastic action in self preservation. Additionally, I diligently refrain from using that kind of language - - - although I’m sorely tempted to make an exception in this instance.