A Question of Character...

In this site, someone asked our predictions on the game. Mine was AR loss 28-49. I never thought of a perfect half, followed by an imperfect one. By now we are all baffled by the degree of inconsistencies of this team. We beat the best team in the East division (FL), then we lost to the worst team (MO). Similarly, a good half followed by a bad one. What is the reason? I do not know. “We don’t have the talent” is no longer a valid explanation. You can’t dominate an opponent for a half if you didn’t have what it took. To me this is a question of character. When the opposing team brings on the heat, we are not rising up the challenge. This is the core issue and a bad one. One more year of this, I don’t think Arkansans can tolerate much more of this embarrassment. Coach B is got to figure this out and do what is necessary.

This is spot on. I will say I don’t think we have a lot of bad character players. But, I clearly think they have a losing mentality. They fold up at the first sign of adversity. When you have to bring in a gut that has been in the NFL for 2 years to rally the team, that says a lot.

There were several games in which they quit (not every player, but way too many). They might not consciously even realize it but they laid down several times (Tamu, AU, MO, VaTech) and that is the one thing–above all else–that can’t be tolerated.

[quote=“TheNotoriousPIG”]

This is spot on. I will say I don’t think we have a lot of bad character players. But, I clearly think they have a losing mentality. They fold up at the first sign of adversity. When you have to bring in a gut that has been in the NFL for 2 years to rally the team, that says a lot.

There were several games in which they quit (not every player, but way too many). They might not consciously even realize it but they laid down several times (Tamu, AU, MO, VaTech) and that is the one thing–above all else–that can’t be tolerated.
[/quote]

Agree, players laying down, giving up, throwing in the towel, etc. for a play, a series, a quarter or more, whether consciously or sub consciously shouldn’t be tolerated. But are they the only ones?

[quote=“Jimbeau77”]

I don’t think the coaches quit. They failed, but I don’t think they quit.

But, they are responsible for fielding a team that collectively quit when things got tough.

[quote=“TheNotoriousPIG”]

I guess the coaches thought they could coach that out of m. Only way to do that is replace the quitters, but you need the personnel to do so.
Otherwise allowing quitters is the same as being a quitter. I’m saying this staff quit on the players, but when players do it, it can become contagious amongst them really quick.

I agree. The bind they were in is that some of the players who laid down–or freelanced and did their own thing, which leads to busts–were seniors or upperclassmen.

And, I also think some of it was fatigue and some of them being too accustomed to losing.

I’m not going to call names but some of them were on display, tonight, when our defense collapsed.

You see it mostly on the walk-in TDs or when our ends crash and the QB breezes by for a 3rd down conversion or our DB gives a 10-yard cushion and breaks on a post route that isn’t coming well before the receiver has even eaten up the cushion.

It’s all that. Losing can become a habit. Self promotion/preservation can be paramount for an upperclassmen. If you don’t REALLY care it’s easier to catch a block.

We have seen all of that this year.

And, the scary part is that by all accounts Bielema went off on them after Mizzou.

That’s why I think some new blood on the 2-deep doesn’t have to be all bad.

the “tale of two halves” is not new to this year…

The team has a weakness that is dominated by the defense which looks frustrated with the scheme. The offense has had to carry us in so many games to over compensate for the failed defensive scheme. If our offense falls apart our whole team crumbles. I think our emotional soul is Drew Morgan so the team fell apart when he fell apart.