A Question For Those That Know

In looking at the latest CBS Sportsline Top 100 NFL Prospects list I found clarity on why our team had been so sad for so long.
Not a single Arkansas player was on the list, not even Froholdt. I doubt it was much different last season. Good grief Wyoming and Charlotte have players on the list.
For the longest time I was a supporter of CBB, but it is clear that once Sam Pittman left recruiting went in the tank and we have paid the price ever since.
Now for the question, did any player recruited by CBB after Pittman left for Georgia, make the top three rounds of an NFL draft?
I will be shocked if the answer is not NO. He inherited Flowers and Wise Jr. Steve Caldwell got them.
He inherited Brandon Allen. Pittman was here for the other Allen and Collins and everyone else I can remember that went on to be drafted high by the NFL. And the most important position of all, QB, he did not recruit a single player that made an impact other than Allen.
This is the thing CCM must change. It is great having Caldwell back and the d ends are starting to flow in.
It is too bad that the legacy of the CBB period is going to be so sad. It started out so great. Then he decided he didn’t need Chaney and it was all downhill from there.

Hard to be good at your job when your mind is on the bar at Theo’s, backstage passes for Justin Moore concerts, hopping on a jet for the beach after signing day instead of planning for Jr. Day, etc. It’s these very things, along with Bielema’s arrogant dismissal of Jim Chaney, that sent Pittman to Athens.

The man’s focus and attention was elsewhere and the result was a dearth of talent we haven’t seen around these parts since the early 1990’s.

Clown show.

It started out so great?

Seriously?

Pittman had nothing to do with signing Alex Collins. Charlie Partridge, who had great Florida connections, did, then he left for a head coaching gig at Florida Atlantic which failed miserably.

Pittman was the reason we had an Oline that could play and perform. Your right about everything going down the tubes when he left! You have to be able to identify talent, coach, teach and train. Also you have to have standards and enforce them in anything you do in life not just football.

It is interesting given the praise lavished on BB, his staff’s recruiting abilities and the few Razorback NFL players.

Hunter Henry, Alex Collins, Denver Kirkland, Dan Skipper, Martrell Spaight, Drew Morgan, Austin Allen in the first class.

Frank Ragnow & Armon Watts. Probable free agents Brian Wallace and Randy Ramsey in second class.

Ryan Pulley, CJ O’Grady, Rawleigh Williams (who knows here) Froholdt in third class.

Philon, J-Will, D Wise, K Hatcher signed the year before Bielema but played mostly under him.

What? Who lavished praise on BB at Arkansas for recruiting from a national level?

I should have clarified my post to “praise” from the locals and BB recruits on NFL rosters excluding practice squads…

Seriously!
You must have forgotten the great early play with the Flowers, Philon and Speight defense. Or how about the exciting play of Collins, Allen, Henry etc… Or we could discuss the big bowl wins over Kansas State and the destruction of Texas.
Yes the CBB era started very well. Check your history books.

You are spot on. I have said Pittman may be one of the most influential coaches in football. Look at what happened to us and look at what’s happened at Georgia. With BB offense, the OL was more important than most other positions and BB was never able to recover after Pittman left. That’s why Georgia is paying him $825K a year - for an OL coach! That’s almost double what Brent key at Alabama makes

The history books haven’t changed.

Bret’s first year was 0-8 in conference and 3-9 overall. That’s year one, that’s the start.

Year two, he went on to drop the next 5 SEC games to start 0-13 in the SEC. Is that the great start you mention?

The history book you mentioned says Bret coached 40 SEC games, and it also says he lost the first 13, so the first one-third (approx) of all the SEC games he coached, he lost every single game. The first one third of his total tenure, he was winless in SEC games (0-13), and you continue to argue he had a great START? Forget the history book, pick up a dictionary and look up what START means.

Beating a Texas team that was horrible with Tyrone Swoopes last stand as a starting QB at Texas, that finished under .500, hardly goes down as “big bowl win”.

Same dynamic the following year (3), we beat an overmatched KState team that was playing its 4th team QB, who was a converted WR. KState finished the year with a losing record.

So yes, we beat two bad teams in bowls games, both teams finishing the season with losing records.

The one thing we do agree on, the second half of year two had improved defensive play you mentioned from Philon, Flowers, and Spaight. Just to clarify, Philon and Flowers were not Bret’s recruits.

I don’t have a dog in this hunt, and I probably should stay out of it and let the two of you duke it out - lol.

I was optimistic that CBB’s approach could work at Arkansas because I thought he had enough “cred” with O line success that he could recruit those players to Arkansas, and we would build from that base. And, I thought, it appeared that we were headed in that direction the first 3 years.

You have to remember what he inherited - a team/program in shambles from (1) the infamous motorcycle incident; and (2) a year under “hot piss” Smiley the Clown. The talent level was down, the player’s confidence was down, and then we were making a radical change in philosophy from Petrino’s high-octane passing offense to Bielema’s massive O line with a power running game and time of possession strategy. Under those circumstances, the first year was a throw-away and the results no surprise. And it was encouraging that we did see improvement through the year. A lot of those losses were very close.

The next year, the frustration continued, but then we seemed to turn the corner and finished on a high note. First, we played #1 ranked Alabama to a 1 point game that we came excruciatingly close to winning. And then we found a way to rally and win enough games down the stretch to get to a Bowl. By the end of the season, our defense was very, very good.

No, that was not a good Texas team we played in the Texas Bowl. But, they were (in theory) evenly matched with us, and we totally dominated them. Given our history with them, that type of win seemed to be a perfect springboard to a program turn-around.

Year 3 (2015) started out disappointingly, but after a slow start, we won 7 of our last 9 games - and those two losses were a respectable 27-14 loss at Alabama, and a 1 point loss to a strong Mississippi State team (led by Dak Prescott) when we had a point-blank field goal blocked on the last play of the game. We then beat a good Kansas State team in a Bowl game.

All of that “history” is to illustrate that - IMO - yes, Beilema’s tenure did “start out well”, given where we were when he came in. We had 3 years of progressive - if not spectacular - improvement in both record and the “feel” of the program.

And it even seemed like we were continuing that trend - until the end of year 4, when we blew huge leads in consecutive losses to Missouri and Virginia Tech. Had we avoided imploding in those games, it would have been FOUR consecutive years of improvement. But given what we know now, that would have been a mirage and may have caused us to delay making a move for another year. So probably a blessing in disguise, though a painful one.

We obviously have different opinions on what start means and what constitutes a good start…

That’s okay, luv ya Wiz!

The CBB era started dismal then picked up some steam just to do an about face. Should have beat Bama at home (14-13 loss) and if we had that could have springboarded the program in player confidence & recruiting.
The only downfall to losing Chaney was Pittman went with him.

When you’re as old as I am, “starts” are measured in years and season-over-season trends rather than a single year. So, yes, to me the CBB era “started” well in that each of his first 3 seasons showed improvement and had more wins. It felt like we were trending upward, and there was some positive “buzz” about the program among most fans and the media.

So, it’s somewhat semantics. Obviously, an 0-8 SEC record in season #1 was not “positive”.

For me the past is the past. I am more focused into the future. Recruiting has been good, now with the waiting game. Develope players, find the right pieces for right spots, and get to execute efficiently. I see a two year process. I only expect some improvements for next year and thereafter.

thank goodness— the past is the past and help is on the way…
better days are ahead… wps!!

The first staff recruited well, but as it lost pieces and replaced them with lesser coaching and recruiting talents, it obviously went downhill.