A&M Two things

Two things that jumped out at me last night. 1. A&M shot 19 out of 20, 95% from the free throw line when they normally shoot 64.5% The 10 second call at the end of overtime was a 7.5 second 10 second call, I went back and watched it. 55.2 on the clock at inbound and 47.7 when the clock stopped. It wasn’t even close, blatent missed call. . I was at the game and thought it was very short then so had to go back and watch it. . . .

4 Likes

The Refs were overly in control last night. They set the pace.

1 Like

I thought it was quick to & so did the players.
I assume the refs still do the count themselves not by the clock.
maybe the clock operator was a second or 2 slow turning it on. who knows.

If I remember they had inbounded once already and had a quick tie ball which went to Ark. Then inbounded again and got the ten second call. Announcers said the 10 second clock doesn’t reset from the first inbound because Ark never crossed the half-court that first possession.

Doesn’t sound right to me, I thought anytime there’s a stop in play in the back court (quick timeout, kicked ball, etc) the 10 second clock resets on the subsequent in-bound.

Anyway, that was the call, they picked up the 10 second clock from where it had stopped at the tie ball, shorting the Hogs 3-4 seconds.

I agree. I haven’t looked it up, but I know I’ve seen it reset after TOs, passes deflected out of bounce, etc. So, unless there’s a special rule for a tie ball, it should be a mistake.

It was a quick count for sure…

I looked up the rule. Tie balls or balls knocked out of bounds do not reset the 10-second count to get it over halfcourt. The only thing that resets it is a timeout by the offense.

Yes I knew this, but it seems like we have seen this situation before and it not be called.

I don’t know if I’ve ever seen this specific situation before – tie ball on the press, then a 10 second call after the tie ball. But from what I can tell the call was correct.

Is there a visible 10 sec clock or they use the shot clock for players to see or just game time clock in those situations?

There is not a visible 10 second clock. Ref keeps the count. In the old days he would swing his forearm once a second to indicate that the count was going on (same for the 5-second closely guarded call and 3 seconds in the lane) but I haven’t noticed that in ages.

Good to know, a teachable moment for the team. If ever in a similiar situation, keep in mind you running on a shortened 10-second clock, get the ball up the floor.

Yea that’s the way I remember it. The slow swinging arm count. But the count doesn’t start till ball is touched same as the game clock ?

That rule was changed a couple of years ago to reward the defense. In the past you could dribble around for 9 seconds then call a TO and get 10 more seconds in next inbounds.

I know I questioned this as well as several other calls. Maybe its my rose glasses but it sure felt like we were getting calls like it was Texas A&M home game. I mean they seemed to get the favored calls after their coach had a hissy fit with the ref after the first few minutes of the 1st half. I expect the home team to get the 50 50 calls and a favorable call or two. Thats just standard home cooking in the SEC and to be expected and just bit your tongue, but recently it seems like we don’t even get the home cookin’ in our own home that everyone else seems to get when we visit. Or from what I see when I watch other SEC games not involving us. Home team gets the calls… its a given.

The shot clock should give you a pretty good idea of where you are in regards to the 10 second count. I noticed it was at 20 seconds when they called the infraction

I think you can still call TO and reset the shot clock but it costs you a timeout which are in limited supply. And the shot clock doesn’t reset when you call timeout, so you still only have 30.

At one point there was an 80% rule on shot clock and 5 seconds inbounds. After 8 seconds in backcourt or 4 seconds trying to inbound, they wouldn’t grant a TO. But I think they changed that too.

But wasn’t the shot clock at 20? Which I think indicates 10 secs ran off? It seemed short to me too until I looked at the shot clock.

1 Like

Yes, the shot clock was at 20 seconds. That was the first thing I looked at after the call. According to that (as you say), the 10 second call was correct.

Yes it was, but that indicates we didn’t get a new 10 seconds after the 2 or 3 seconds went off for the tied up ball. If we had been given a new 10 seconds, the shot clock would have been at 17 or 18 seconds before a backcourt violation. It’s the 30 second shot clock that doesn’t reset, even if we had called a time-out in the backcourt.