A look at what the 12-team playoffs would have looked like this year

TCU would have had a home game against Tulane in the first round. The winner would have played Utah in the quarterfinals (as a top-4 conference champ, UU would have been seeded higher).

The Suckeyes would have hosted Penn State. Winner to play Clemson

Tennessee would have hosted Kansas State. Winner to play Georgia.

Bama would have hosted USC. Winner to play Michigan.

I think TCU probably beats UU. aOSU beats Clemson. Georgia beats EME again. Bama beats Michigan. Semis would be Bama-aOSU and Georgia-TCU, and the semi is probably not 65-7.

So you get three of the same four teams in the semifinals. And Georgia still wins.

Andy’s thoughts are the same as mine. If you want to increase the likelihood of a competitive championship game, a 12-team field is more likely to produce it than a four-team field.

1 Like

Maybe true. Likely true.

It’s also a good way to not reward the best team with a championship

History suggests otherwise.

The College Football Playoff came to be at the conclusion of the 2014 season, expanding the possible Champions from 2 (under the BCS system) to 4.

The National Championship games over the past 9 years have an average margin of victory of 20 points. Only 3 of the games have been closer than two TDs (2016, 2017, and 2018).

The 16 National Championship games that were part of the BCS system had an average margin of victory of 14.5 points. There were 9 of those games that were decided by two TDs or less.

Even if you threw out last night’s shellacking, the average margin of victory for CFP National Championships only drops to 15.25.

There have actually been fewer competitive games in this expanded system. Not sure why reasoning would say an expansion the 8, 12, 16, etc. would make it moreso.

2 Likes

That’s what I’ve been saying.

The most interesting point of all will be how many (if any) of the “lower seeds” (i.e., 5 and below) actually win the Championship. If none, then that demonstrates that all they are is fodder to create more TV inventory.

Of course, we won’t know that for a few years.

Because you let the best teams in the field, not just the four teams with the best record against imbalanced schedules. There are teams that can be competitive with Georgia, as Ohio State showed in the Peach Bowl. Alabama and Tennessee with a back-up QB probably would have lost to Georgia, too, but those teams would have at least shown up for the game.

TCU is a good team and I’m glad it got its shot in the playoff, but that was not the second-best team in the country. A four-round playoff would have almost certainly kept TCU out of the championship game.

2 Likes

I think the best teams — pro, college, high school, etc. — are the ones that win within the framework of their postseason.

Edit: I should say in sports other than college football. TCU won within the existing framework, which I just don’t like.

Do you think ole miss was the best college baseball team last year?

Maybe basketball should just start with the final four so Gonzaga doesn’t get knocked out in the elite 8 or Virginia in round 1?

1 Like

Yes, I do. That team beat a lot of good teams at the end of the year, and handily in a lot of cases. I think it had won its postseason games by a combined score of 61-11 going to Omaha.

That team is a great example of why I think larger playoff fields are a good idea. Ole Miss was No. 1 early in the year, but battled injuries in late March and throughout April, then got its players back in May and got rolling again. Ole Miss had a great team.

There are 363 Division 1 basketball teams.

So start with 8 instead of 4?

1 Like

I’d prob go back to 64.

Ha. I’d probably go back to two in football. That would have been Michigan and Georgia this year.

Same and fine to me

The nfl seems to make it work with playoffs but for some reason college can’t figure it out, and until it does we get garbage. I think the biggest part to blame is refereeing. That is in bad bad shape.

1 Like

I would note that there have been a lot of blow out Super Bowls. To me, that doesn’t mean the NFL playoffs were wrong or had the wrong number of teams. (Not saying you are saying that).

Average margin of victory in the 18 Semifinal games since 2014 has been 19 points. The Georgia-Ohio State game was not the norm.

Michigan, the second-ranked CFP team, might argue this point against you.

Tennessee had a shot at Georgia already, with their starting QB and Hesiman frontrunner. Game was 27-6 after the first UGA drive of the second half. But they should get another shot? And while I think Bama would have beaten TCU, they couldn’t beat Tennessee or LSU. Those game should matter as well.

I don’t think you should penalize a team for a regular-season loss if it is good enough to work its way through the playoffs and get revenge. I like the idea of being able to make up for a loss.

I’m an NFL fan, which influences my opinion on this. The Chiefs are the No. 1 seed in the AFC this week over the Bills and Bengals, who beat them in the regular season. If Kansas City wins the AFC Championship Game over one of those teams, I won’t say the Chiefs don’t deserve to be in the Super Bowl. They will have won within the framework of the playoffs and won when it mattered most.

Georgia lost pretty badly to Alabama in the SEC Championship Game last year and won the rematch for the national championship. I don’t think anyone questions the legitimacy of the Georgia national championship in 2021 because it went 1-1 against Alabama. It won the game that mattered most.

3 Likes

And I love that college football is different than the NFL, because that one doesn’t interest me at all.

We can just agree to disagree that more teams will/will not result in a more competitive game.

3 Likes