A Look at the New System

With much anticipation today we had a look at the offense and defense. knowing that it takes longer for an offense to run smoothly, it is not what I expected. I was looking for sharp passes down the middle, deep passes and crisp quick crossing passes; with the ball out of QB hands quickly. The offense has ways to go. The defense was impressive. wherever the ball was, looks like there were two to three defenders already there. I am sure offense will come along by the fall and we’ll have a better team next year. How the next season turns out, depending on the competition. AR’s real success is in Morris’s recruiting of the future.

Aloha,
I thought the defense played and tackled well. So many areas need vast improvement.
GHG!

Agreed. I thought the defense constantly had someone, usually more than one, close to the football.

Thought the DBs did a good job generally. TV guys commented on lack of separation by the WRs. Part of that is due to the DBs.

Agree the offense was sloppy

From the post game interviews that I heard and what I’ve read, we only have a small part of the offense/defense installed and we limited both the offense and the defense as to what they could show. It may take a couple of years or more to get everything installed.

I didn’t see much of a new system. Looked a lot like last years to me. I was very disappointed in the first play of the first red white game from the first year coach.

I thought it was pretty bland. Beyond vanilla. Near lame most of the day.

Drawing positive from extreme watered down performance, Hyatt, Pettway. I thought the Nike gloves The Chief had on were cool.

To make this offense go full tilt boogie, you have to have a quarterback who is a hoss…who can run and throw…someone who can read the keys and handle the ball adeptly. You don’t need a pro style guy, but a dual threat guy. We don’t have that at this time. We are gonna have to make do without this piece until he arrives in the future. He needs to be athletic and quick…maybe someone like DeShaun Watson. Duh…Where can we get one of those?

Hyatt looked the most comfortable in this offense even though he didn’t play against the first defense… he is mobile and has a decent arm. Fifteen pounds of muscle and he could be a challenge this fall to start at QB.

I thought TY and Cole where wayyyyyy to stationary, sluggish, no energy, they have a lot of, well not to bash, but they have slot of last year in them that’s going to take a bit of time to get out of them. Play clock ran down way to much, they just are not urgent enough. Not to mention they both missed easy wide open TD’s by a mile. They have to become bouncy, lose, urgent, to flat footed.
It’s like a shooter in basketball, rhythm, flow, are big. QB’s need that in this system, they have none. Zero.

Not sure why you guys thought they were going to show anything.

Name me the last Red-White game that did.

Not one coach (any where ever) has ever done anything but generic stuff in a televised spring game. It’s just silly to do anything but that. Why would you?

No wide receiver screens, no jet sweeps, little variation in routes, few passes to the backs.
No corner blitz, no A-Gap LB blitz that I can remember, very few DL games.

And I’m sure there were more omissions that I did not notice or which would have been obvious to those who’ve watched practice.

Just your average spring game, you watch it and don’t get much of a flavor for what the play-calling will look like in the fall other than how they typically line up.

All of that has happened in practice.

Why show it to your opponents?

I agree completely. It makes zero sense to let all your September opponents get a free look at what you think is your best, hardest to scheme against stuff in a spring practice game. That’s true in a normal year and it is especially true when you have a new offensive and defensive scheme. Make them go watch old film from the staff’s previous jobs and try to figure it out.

Whether some of our fans like it or not, we are not going to know much more about what we’ve got until September, and we may not know a whole lot until we play a conference game.

There is of course also the fact that this is a transition year from the old systems to the new, and it takes time to get the culture and the base systems in place. I think CM said the other day the amount of information the offensive guys are trying learn is like drinking out of a fire hose. I would expect things will go a little smoother in fall camp, and then a little more smoothly in October(though it might not make much difference against some of the opposition) and so forth. But it still is the first year, and there are bound to be baby steps and falls before we can start walking, much less running.

From everyone’s comments I gather we all saw the same thing. Offense appeared as slow as last year, took too long to get set and snap the ball, QB held the ball too long and accuracy lacking etc. plus not much variety of calls. Obviously not every thing has been installed and as Clay and Dudley said they are not going to show their hands at this time. I believe the offense is going to be OK when the time comes. This team can score enough; they did it last year and will do it this year. Our main issue was on the defense! If we put in a defense that can do as well as it did Saturday against SEC opponents, we’ll win more games. At this time that is all I expect.

I think the coach’s main objective in a spring practice is to finalize the depth chart, at least going into fall.

They were looking for some to emerge as playmakers.

I think they know the starters. Yesterday’s practice was to evaluate everyone else and begin to build the second string. They begin to answer the “somebody’s hurt-who goes in” questions.

To do this, you just need basic offense and defense.

The spring practice is not used to install the bells and whistles.

[quote=“Jhawg”]

To make this offense go full tilt boogie, you have to have a quarterback who is a hoss…who can run and throw…someone who can read the keys and handle the ball adeptly. You don’t need a pro style guy, but a dual threat guy. We don’t have that at this time. We are gonna have to make do without this piece until he arrives in the future. He needs to be athletic and quick…maybe someone like DeShaun Watson. Duh…Where can we get one of those?

[/quote]Watson was sitting 45 miles from Athens Georgia as a HS senior. The coaches at Clemson had vision. Those at Georgia are now at Miami. I’m hoping Morris has vision.

I assume the first game we are down, we will show it, so every team after that will have it. And hasn’t he already shown everything at SMU. Just go watch last season, right?

How many plays has CM ran in practice that he didn’t run at SMU last year?

Good points - it’s not like his system is not on tape for all the world to see from both his Clemson and SMU days.