A little salt in a wound

Saw this image on twitter. Maybe we are just now realizing a problem that has been going on for some time now.

Nasty, no doubt.

Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory has become an art form in Fayetteville.

Doesn’t reflect a very positive image for our program. :cry:

This isn’t new. Arkansas had this problem for years, and then Petrino showed up and the team was able to get a lead and hold it. BB isn’t the problem, he is part of it. How long has it been since this program has had the staff and players with a drive to not just win, but to overcome? Programs like Alabama don’t allow a fold-up simply because it gets tough, they demand their team keep playing hard until the final seconds tick off the clock.

Arkansas teams, in the past 20 years or so, are notorious for giving up especially when things turn and it gets tougher than they thought it would be. From what I’ve seen in my time as a Hog fan, 37 years old now, the entire attitude of the program and the fan base has to change. I had hope that BB was a step toward this change, as he is a more positive coach than Petrino, but he isn’t the rah-rah guy that Nutt was. He has the heart, just not the ability.

This program needs a championship mindset if it is to compete for the SEC, and even hope for a spot in the playoff. I’m not a coach, of course, so I don’t know the day-to-day on campus, but it certainly feels like mediocre is being accepted and that is troubling.

Some quick checking shows that appears Coach Petrino lost 7 games after leading at halftime in his four years here, but four of them were in the first year.

I reserve the right to do more intense checking later

There’s no comparing the epic meltdowns over BB time at Arkansas and BP’s. There’s no comparing the “like ability” factor between BB & BP either. I’ve spent time around BB, and think he’s a great Guy.

I don’t think anyone would say that about BP. With that said, BP had a hand in every facet of the team. To the point of anal Controlling. I believe that makes a big difference. Reference Saban, Holtz, etc… Who knows how Petrino would have done without Harley Gate, but I know two things for sure.

1. Petrino never had the luxury of recruiting to the facilities he helped build
  2. In down to the wire games, I’d like my chances a whole lot better under BP than BB.

Who would even argue otherwise??? We’ve made blown win’s an embarrassing art form!!

Does not factor in late wins, such as La Tech, TCU, Ole Miss and (if you think of it that way) MS State this year.

Data is out there to support just about whatever you want to support.

this is true.
data can support near misses also.

nevertheless… it cannot be argued that the past two games we have historically blown leads.

its interesting observation noted above… the “mentality” of HDN playing not to lose cost us to blow some leads as well. i have always felt that you are giving away the initiative when you begin to play that way after a lead and oftentimes the momentum turns and you are playing scared.

i dont think that mentality is what we are seeing with the current “blow a lead” regime…
and
i dont remember ever (i mean EVER) thinking our teams werent mentally tough or were quitting until the JLS season (maybe that alabama game during BP first year)… and past 4 seasons…there have been several games where that unthinkable seems to be present…

maybe its just that millineal mentality you hear so much about

A little leaven leavens the whole lump. Maybe one little season can turn the mindset of a program for a long time. IDK, and I’m not trying to blame JLS for CBB’s failures. CBB has to own his own troubles, but no telling how grave an effect one year can have even with different players.