A guide to watching the Hogs without cable or satellite

As many of you are aware, I’m fascinated by the changes in technology, especially as it pertains to sports. Here is something I wrote after recently trying out new platforms that are challenging the cable and satellite model:

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2016 … satellite/

Nice review Matt. Hopefully, you’ll keep this around awhile. I’m thinking about giving it a try after the football season…as I’m a coward now.

Matt did a good job on the article. I use a Roku for WatchESPN on my TV. I have not cut the cable yet but I am getting close. My internet speed is more than adequate to stream the games and anything else as I have Comcast Blast.

I use a cheapie (<$20) HDTV antenna for broadcast games. You might need more in NWA where you aren’t close to all the transmitters.

Other than that, PlayStation Vue (core slim package, $35/mo - you don’t need elite) for cable sports channels and Watch ESPN.

Non-sports, Netflix and Amazon Prime, plus Vue. You get AMC, about all we need. If you want to record shows, we’re not there yet.

I do this and use friends/family logins for WatchESPN, NBC Sports and FoxSportsGo. Love it. I’m a big NBA guy and have a European service ( :sunglasses: ) that lets me watch every game, so those along with HBOGo and Netflix take care of all my needs.

If Arkansas plays a CBS game later this year, I’ll have to break down and do a month of CBS’ service so I can go back and watch it again. Only like $6.

If you’re really technologically proficient, you can get Amazon Fire TV or a Fire Stick and try out Kodi for free TV. I’ve had mixed results with that, but some people swear by it.

I still have cable but I stream the Hogs on my Amazon Fire when they are on the SEC Alternate channel because it is not broadcast in HD on cable but the stream is.

I have been doing this for some time. I declared war on the price gouging from Cox more than a year ago. I still have the Cox high speed internet because there is no competition. Keep hope alive…a local utility company is laying fiber optic cable and will eventually be in competition with Cox, offering amazing speeds, much higher than Cox. I use both Amazon Fire TV and ROKU for the HDMI devices hooked up to three TVs. I subscribe to Sling. The only downside to Sling is that you cannot watch it on more than one TV without buying a second subscription. My wife just watches Netflix or local Antenna TV. Yes, I have three long range HD antennas in the attic. I pay less than what you estimated for Sling, $32 per month. Perhaps you load upon HBO and other addons.

I invested in a really good wireless modem because as you suggested, it is a necessity to really take advantage of the technology. I love all of this. You can’t stop me from watching college football. All games are featured somewhere based upon the technology. If you want to see everything that is on (for the entire year) this is a good website: http://lsufootball.net/tvschedule.htm. I know it is an LSU site but I refer to it all the time.

Also, you forgot to mention that you can watch local high school football on your TV using Google Chromecast. I fire up the U tube internet broadcast of high school football and broadcast it to my TV.

Once you have the internet capability and the high speed modem, you can also save money on a VOIP phone system from Wal-Mart complete with caller ID and unlimited long distance ($6.82 per month). It different technology but I pay approximately $8.95 per month for my cell phone (from Wal-Mart).

I’ve been interested since I wrote this to see all the different ways people are streaming college football. Here are a few from Twitter:

https://twitter.com/StoneRusty/status/778764967763857408

I’m getting ready to cut the cord. Our cable provider (Suddenlink) has been raising their prices yearly. Started out paying about $90 per month 15 years ago. Now am paying over $200, and they quit carrying the LR local stations except for KATV (ABC), and only carry Springfield, MO local stations. When I went by to complain they tried to tell me it was the same programming. I told the lady she obviously doesn’t watch Razorback sports or the local news out of LR, because Springfield stations rarely if ever mention the Razorbacks. My problem is a digital antenna doesn’t have the range to pick up the broadcast from the LR market (I live in Mountain Home). The satellite companies also carry the local Springfield station. (where is the head-banging smilie?)
Is there a digital antenna that has that range?

Most of the higher end digital antennas offer a range of 50 miles. There may be some that can reach further; not sure. So it would all depend on where KARK, KTHV, KATV, etc. have towers, and whether those are within 50 miles of Mountain Home.

I grew up in Waldron, which is about 20 miles from the Oklahoma state line. My grandparents had one of those gigantic antennas outside that we turned to pick up whatever network we wanted to watch. We could pick up CBS and ABC out of Fort Smith, but rarely could get NBC. And when we did it was from one of the Oklahoma affiliates - probably Tulsa. Given Mountain Home’s proximity to Springfield and Little Rock, you may have to settle for a Missouri affiliate.