A Few Simple B-Ball Questions

First I apologize for the length, but I have too many thoughts for minimal words.
I have been watching and playing (far more watching than playing) basketball for over 45 years and still do not consider myself an expert of any sort. But I do have some very simple questions that I think have a lot to do with the results we have seen recently from our Hoop Hogs. None are meant to be stupid or the cause of arguments, but I do want to see if I am seeing us correctly.
Any one who witnessed the arrival of Eddie Sutton and the way he did his work cannot help but see what we are seeing as a crude mess.

1. Does this team have a point guard? What I see is a team full of two guards, but no real point guard. This has been common with CMA teams. Durham was as close as we have come.

2. Are the problems Moses Kingsley has had this year his unwillingness to play center or is he out on the floor, out of position offensively and defensively by design? He has been called a forward all season and I think this is the biggest mistake of the season. He could be a dominant center but we rarely see it. But he plays out of position and CMA just seems to scratch his head as to what the problem is and NO adjustment has been made that I can see.

3. So to me we have no point guard and no center that is playing center. Do we have a power forward? Kingsley plays forward more like a tall small forward. We keep being told Thomas is good, but the results do not indicate this. To me the team is built with imbalance, with a majority of two guards and no one that really knows how to play point guard, center or power forward. Coach Sutton would be out of his mind with this.

4. Does this team have any real set plays? This is where I am not an expert, but I don’t see any during the regular flow of a game. I see a few in bound plays, but they sometimes seem to have trouble with those. From what I hear they practice hard and I, up until the last game, did not question the effort. I just think CMA Ball has become Helter Skelter ball and he expects the players to make adjustments in the game rather that him demanding them. I base this on his own words where he said “I try not to get in the way during games.”

5. Finally does this team have a single player who can play well the entire game? We have not seen this at all and it reflects the way the team plays as it cannot play a full solid game. They generally fall behind and then try to catch up. If they do get off with a good first half they come out flat in the second half and have to struggle to hold on.
    We seem to argue whether CMA should or should not be fired, but not nearly enough on the specifics and I didn’t even get into blocking out, rebounding, setting picks, shot selection, etc. To change all of this I think you have to start with the very basics. If you are failing on those nothing else matter.
    Can CMA get past his thoughts that he knows more than the rest of us (he and Nolan share that trait and say it freely) to really get down to the true basics? In the press conference last night he seemed baffled and acted like a victim of circumstances. The one person that cannot afford to be the victim of circumstances is the head coach. He built this mess. He has to be the one to fix it. If he can.

[quote=“Hursthawg”]
First I apologize for the length, but I have too many thoughts for minimal words.
I have been watching and playing (far more watching than playing) basketball for over 45 years and still do not consider myself an expert of any sort. But I do have some very simple questions that I think have a lot to do with the results we have seen recently from our Hoop Hogs. None are meant to be stupid or the cause of arguments, but I do want to see if I am seeing us correctly.
Any one who witnessed the arrival of Eddie Sutton and the way he did his work cannot help but see what we are seeing as a crude mess.

1. Does this team have a point guard? What I see is a team full of two guards, but no real point guard. This has been common with CMA teams. Durham was as close as we have come. If you mean a true PG - No

2. Are the problems Moses Kingsley has had this year his unwillingness to play center or is he out on the floor, out of position offensively and defensively by design? He has been called a forward all season and I think this is the biggest mistake of the season. He could be a dominant center but we rarely see it. But he plays out of position and CMA just seems to scratch his head as to what the problem is and NO adjustment has been made that I can see. Personally, I think it is a combination of things. One is CMA’s defense and switching. The second is I think he’s frustrated because he doesn’t get the ball enough, so when he switches instead of switching back, he tries to make a play. I don’t think he (or anyone else right now) is playing smart

3. So to me we have no point guard and no center that is playing center. Do we have a power forward? Kingsley plays forward more like a tall small forward. We keep being told Thomas is good, but the results do not indicate this. To me the team is built with imbalance, with a majority of two guards and no one that really knows how to play point guard, center or power forward. Coach Sutton would be out of his mind with this. I (again my opinion) think we have a bunch of, what I call .5’s. Beard isn’t good enough to be a PG, but he’s not quite good enough shooting to be a 2. Kingsley is a 4.5, not a true C, and not good enough scorer to be a true 4. Thomas and Cook are 3.5’s. I believe this is one of the reasons everyone is saying don’t fire Mike. Two years, when both Perry and Gafford are here, Gafford is probably closer to a True C than Moses (again my opinion) and Perry (as has been said) can play the 3,4, or 5. He is definitely an upgrade at the 4. Garland is probably the closest thing to a true 3 CMA will have had since he’s been here, and because of Brown and Weaver, may actually end up being an oversized 2 (for college anyways)

4. Does this team have any real set plays? This is where I am not an expert, but I don’t see any during the regular flow of a game. I see a few in bound plays, but they sometimes seem to have trouble with those. From what I hear they practice hard and I, up until the last game, did not question the effort. I just think CMA Ball has become Helter Skelter ball and he expects the players to make adjustments in the game rather that him demanding them. I base this on his own words where he said “I try not to get in the way during games.” Yes, they do, but I think the issue right now is we have a few players, that don’t trust teammates

5. Finally does this team have a single player who can play well the entire game? We have not seen this at all and it reflects the way the team plays as it cannot play a full solid game. They generally fall behind and then try to catch up. If they do get off with a good first half they come out flat in the second half and have to struggle to hold on.
    We seem to argue whether CMA should or should not be fired, but not nearly enough on the specifics and I didn’t even get into blocking out, rebounding, setting picks, shot selection, etc. To change all of this I think you have to start with the very basics. If you are failing on those nothing else matter.
    Can CMA get past his thoughts that he knows more than the rest of us (he and Nolan share that trait and say it freely) to really get down to the true basics? In the press conference last night he seemed baffled and acted like a victim of circumstances. The one person that cannot afford to be the victim of circumstances is the head coach. He built this mess. He has to be the one to fix it. If he can.
    [/quote] Yes, but the one issue I’ve always had with CMA (again my personal opinion) is that when a player is on, CMA will mass sub (even the hot player). A lot of individuals say it’s because they are tired, I don’t think they are, and by the time CMA sends them back in they’ve cooled off.
    As for basics, Mike teaches them, but I don’t think our players (as with my Kingsley example above) are playing team ball, they’re trying to be individuals. That’s why I’ve said all year, next year will be better when Moses, Manny, and Dusty are replaced by freshmen and sophomores.
    Yes, he will fix it, but it takes time. When he was hired I said it would take a minimum of 10 years. For those saying it doesn’t take that long, we want to return to Nolan levels, Eddie was here 11 years, Nolan 6 before we were at the level of constant Sweet 16 and in the National conversation every year. We had fallen back to pre Eddie levels. Starting over will not help.

Watch Tennessee and James Dickie, its easy to see in his yrs at Texas and now at Tennessee that he still coaches with Suttons 3 Ds of the game! Sutton would say it starts with DEFENSE, hands always out or up and staying with your man! DEDICATION, To boxing out on both ends for rebounds and taking charges! DICIPLINE, the diciipline to take the HIGH PERCENTAGE SHOTS (Not off balance tosses & final second rush shots) and take shots with rebounders rotating in to position! Like he would say, even on a cold shooting night home or away you can still be in it late in game! Tennessee is great at it this year and I say they dance!!

That’s a lot of the issue with what we are up against. Not only do we have to deal with Rick Barnes as Tennessee’s coach – and he’s good enough – but we also face James Dickey, a dead author who moonlighted as an Eddie Sutton protege and is secretly helping Barnes coach defense while he serves in his “official” role as ghost and former top assistant and former interim coach at Oklahoma State.

Exactly… how many teams consistently in the top 25 were garbage for all of the past 20 years?

Ha HA yep my age is starting to show LOL, but yall get my point on what I was meaning! You would think I would have caught that huh???