A bowl at 5-7 ???

A few questions:

Seems like the last several years schools with a 5-7 record and good APR have gotten “left over” bids after all the 6-6 schools are chosen.

Is that still the case?

Would we accept such a bid, especially if it were from a “third class” bowl?

Would we accept even if we were making a coaching change?

It is still the case. However, there is one less bowl this year than last, thus two less spots that may need to be filled by 5-win teams.

Second, we’re far enough down the APR list (although our football APR is much improved over the last five years, it also isn’t all that good) that there is no chance we’d get into a bowl through that back door. So I don’t think we need to waste too much energy wondering if we’d take a spot in the Dollar General Bowl, whether or not there is a coaching change.

If we finish 5-7, we need to stay home and let our new coach recruit. Let’s get ready for next year. There should be no bowl for a team who doesn’t have a winning season. Now, if the big man can pull off 7-5, then let’s go. That would be a great finish…highly unlikely,but still possible.

I honestly would be a little embarrassed to go to a bowl with a 5-7 record.

There are to many bowls. Nobody should be playing in a bowl game that only has five wins. I wouldn’t even look at it like a bowl game if we went with a 5-7 record. The bowl games are all about money. They should be a reward for a successful season. I have no interest in watching a 5-7 team.

5-7 bowl bids are similar to a participation trophy in my mind.

You take it because it’s a trophy, but you sure don’t go bragging about it to your friends.

However, even though it’s highly unlikely we’d get one, I actually wouldn’t want them to take it, pretty embarrassing.

Mississippi St. did it last year. Used the practice time to get Fitzgerald better. Seems to have worked fine for them. You take the extra practice time. Too valuable. Also the conference will not lose the revenue. SEC will want all teams it can playing for revenue purposes.

Good arguments all around I guess.

What’s next, bowl eligibility at 4-8 or 3-9 with some formula.

For the life of me I don’t know how you go to a bowl at 6-6 break even much less anything less.

We might as well give everyone a trophy regardless.

I think you always take the opportunity to play in a bowl game, regardless of your record. It’s valuable financially and it’s valuable in terms of players getting more practice time. It’s basically a second spring practice and a true game at the end.

In my opinion, the only time a 5-7 team is going to turn down a bowl chance is when there is a coaching change, such as the case with Texas last season.

I also disagree with the argument that there are too many bowl games. It might water down the quality of teams, but there would not be so many bowl games if consumers (viewers, fans, etc.) were not interested. The appetite to watch football every night drives the demand for so many bowls, no different than it does for Wednesday, Thursday and Friday night games on TV.

Totally agree and as previously said it helped Mississippi State last year. So how does the APR deal work actually and how can I find this?

5-7 will most likely be how we finish up.

Surprised to hear our APR is so far down the list. But yeah you take the bowl for the practice time …

I dunno if there is more current rank…
https://www.sbnation.com/college-footba … ligibility

APR comes into play when there are not enough teams to fill all of the bowl games, obviously. Let’s take Mississippi State last season: The St. Petersburg Bowl typically matches Conference-USA vs. the MAC, but C-USA did not have enough bowl-eligible teams when it came time to fill St. Petersburg. Per its protocol, that bowl then selects a bowl-eligible team from either the American or Sun Belt, but neither of those conferences had enough teams that far down the pecking order.

So Mississippi State was selected to fill the vacancy by virtue of its 5-7 record and APR score. I think North Texas got to a bowl game with five wins, too.

The highest-rated APR teams with five wins have first right of refusal. That continues until the bowl games are filled.

I think it’s a little premature to say that. Who is to say which teams finish with five wins and how many bowls won’t be able to fill their quota? The only APR scores that matter are going to be those of 5-win teams.

I think there are way too many bowl games. Most of the match ups just do not interest me. But MJ is correct about why.

http://collegesports.blog.statesman.com … -17-games/

You are correct. However, when I went down the 2017 APR list, which was released in May, we were about 50 schools down the FBS list, maybe more. Some of those 50 above us will win 6 games or more, some won’t win 5. Put it this way: Moo U was one of the 5-win wonders last year when there was one more bowl game (thus two more openings). Moo U’s current APR is 974. Ours is 966.

Here’s the list. Again, FBS is not listed separately, but I count 21 FBS schools with APR scores between MissStake and us (not counting those tied with MSU or with us). That’s more than 16% of the total FBS membership. I betcha at least one of those 21 will win exactly five games.

<LINK_TEXT text=“https://www.sbnation.com/college-footba … ligibility”>https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/5/10/15613274/ncaa-apr-scores-2017-bowl-eligibility</LINK_TEXT>

A bowl is worth it just to get the young players some development time. We have some very promising skill players

All of this. It amazes me what will embarrass grown men.

You absolutely take a bowl bid any way you can get it. The extra practices for the returning players and a select few early enrollees is invaluable.

And, for the life of me I’ll never understand why ppl who clamor for football during a 9-month offseason want less games.

So odd.

I agree with that. I kind of laugh at the animosity toward all the bowl games. Two 6-6 teams playing each other the week before Christmas does not affect anything except the final records of the teams playing the game.

As far as I’m concerned, there could be 60 bowl games and I’d be OK with it. You can’t have too much college football, in my book. I’d try to watch all 60 even between two 0-12 teams. Nobody else has to watch. But that’s just it. ESPN apparently doesn’t think there’s too many bowls because they broadcast virtually all of them. If you don’t want to watch them, watch something else. Or better yet, go buy me a Christmas present. Ha!

Not only does ESPN broadcast most of the bowls, a subsidiary called ESPN Events owns 14 of the bowl games. To say it is heavily invested in the bowl season is an understatement. Fourteen bowl games literally have been made for TV.

That includes the Texas Bowl and Birmingham Bowl, both of which are affiliated with the SEC.