4th down calls

Cold weather, low scoring, field position game.

Left a chip shot FG out there.

Go for it instead of punting them deep, leading to the only TD of the game.

Lost by 3. Paint it however you want. Our decision making was very poor.

7 Likes

Take the points early.

Go for it late.

I get that analytics say differently at times, but I just don’t get why you would leave points on the field before the 3rd quarter–unless you were getting blown out, obviously.

1 Like

Imagine LSU would have handled game differently if we had scored that 3

I just got on here to see if anybody else was thinking that. Take those 3. We got in the back-up QB who is not exactly lighting it up; playing phenomenal D – take the 3, go up 6-0, a TD lead instead of an FG.

Could be in overtime right now.

And going for it instead of punting them deep in the 2nd half !?!?!?!? With defense playing like we were, and a QB who was completely ineffective ?!?!?!??? Smacks of desperation and poor judgment.

Game could have ended 13-6, Hogs.

So what if LSU had handled game differently, would have sure been nice to see how it played out. I would have liked the Hogs chances based on what I saw today.

Those 4th down calls had a significant impact on the outcome, and not in a good way; and as for the officiating, the phantom 1st down there at the end?!?!? Come on ? Let the kids lose it or win it fair and square in a close game.

1 Like

I agree - especially on the play call where Hornsby fell down.

Just really poor decision by Sam and worthy of scrutiny.

1 Like

Yep, different score, most likely lsu attacks our def. differently…however we should have put that onus on them. Would have loved opportunity to see if we could have protected a lead.

1 Like

You always take the points early

hawgindaslough

5m

I just got on here to see if anybody else was thinking that. Take those 3. We got in the back-up QB who is not exactly lighting it up; playing phenomenal D – take the 3, go up 6-0, a TD lead instead of an FG.

Could be in overtime right now.

And going for it instead of punting them deep in the 2nd half !?!?!?!? With defense playing like we were, and a QB who was completely ineffective ?!?!?!??? Smacks of desperation and poor judgment.

Game could have ended 13-6, Hogs.

So what if LSU had handled game differently, would have sure been nice to see how it played out. I would have liked the Hogs chances based on what I saw today.

Those 4th down calls had a significant impact on the outcome, and not in a good way; and as for the officiating, the phantom 1st down there at the end?!?!? Come on ? Let the kids lose it or win it fair and square in a close game.

Well said…

TAKE the damn points! Keep doing something that has not worked with MH. A selfish player.

Yes, we all saw today what the coaches clearly know. Had Fortin not come in, I think game ends 20-3 or worse.

1 Like

Also, I’m hardly ever critical of the coaching, with the exception of the 2 year idiocracy a/k/a left lane and hammer down.

Folks at the top of their profession don’t always make the right calls; key is getting it right most of the time. You have to trust the professionals to do their jobs.

But those 4th down calls in this game made no sense to me; seemed out of character for Coach Pittman.

2 Likes

Hawg, WE can’t blame the coaches, the players? What the Sam hill do we have HI for anyway??

No doubt, it’s a great place for discussion.

I have said often and will say again, it seems the quality of the posts and posters have changed over the years, much better. It’s a place for legitimate discussion and at times disagreement but in a civil and courteous manner. Years back, it wasn’t that way.

I find this is a great place for getting information and insight from a lot of folks who know, and not just “insider information” but knowledge from those who have experience in the business of coaching/playing. There was a time when all you got for that was a few reporters in the newspaper. It’s great to have more information.

2 Likes

Pittman spoke a couple of times in the offseason about learning from the Auburn game last year not to press. It has felt like his in-game decision have pressed more than usual the past two weeks.

2 Likes

Our decisions impacted LSU decision making also… several times I also thought they were going for it on 4th down at questionable times… however I’m not so sure they really tried to exploit our weakest spot in the secondary…. Until the one deep pass after the turnover from us on downs, which that play call on 4th down with that QB made no sense to me, and coach was even quoted in his post game PC as saying he felt we had something that would work. I didn’t see anything that would have worked so someone must have not executed very well… but getting back to the one time LSU isolated their best WR on our most inconsistent DB, they had an easy throw and catch to like the 3 yard line… Im confident that was available for them all day…. Now our blitz was getting home a lot yesterday, and who knows how times they targeted that match up… but if the LSU QB got any protection at any point , that was available for them…

That’s a good point …. To me it feels like all the luck and a lot of the key in game specific executions that lead to success last year , has gone the other way this season… we are the one that missed the kick against A&M and not MSU missing theirs , we are the that couldn’t get the TD against LSU this year, and not KJ making a highlight play to get the TD last year, etc…. LSU in one year has gone from the dumps to Atlanta, and both games we have played them have been close close… we have some fixable things, we just need to fix them and we can compete….

2 Likes

Pittman appears to have done a complete 180 from last year when it comes to 4th downs. I do not recall him being so aggressive the past couple years.

Arkansas has attempted 20 fourth-down conversions in 10 games this year and attempted 19 in 13 games last year.

This year’s number is a little bit skewed by the Liberty game when the Razorbacks went for it six times, mostly out of necessity in the fourth quarter.

Interesting. Would have thought there would be more of a difference. Is it that he appears to be going for it in more questionable situations? I feel that there has been more head scratching and aggressive 4th down calls this season based on situation and field position.

The phantom 1st down was ridiculous! I can’t believe it was not overturned! I know people have other speculations why we lost but I totally agree, call it fair and let the team win or lose on its own. Coach Pittman was playing for the win all the way and I agree for the most part on his decisions. It’s awfully easy to look back and say his decision making was poor. I love our coach and stand behind him 100%.

1 Like