4 guard lineup

One of the writers beat me to it.

I was wondering before the game, saw it in the game, and seriously considered after the game if Anderson didn’t crack the code to make this team more successful going forward. One of our biggest complaints as fans is PF spot on this team and it’s inconsistency. Taking the PF away from the lineup for a smaller lineup seemed to work well against the bigger Mizzou team.

What do you guys think?

I think that would be interesting, but not sure it would work every game. I’d like to see it more, however

If that’s your best defensive group play them, if we don’t stay aggressive and play smart D we are headed for the cellar as there are no more cupcakes on the menu. WPS

While we are not slaying many on the boards, my biggest concern with a four guard lineup is how often Gafford finds himself switched on a guard or wing. This makes us pretty small.

Valid point

This being a case where I think Jordan Phillips would have been valuable.

I agree

Your absolutely right,but he can’t be out of position anymore with a smaller line up than he is now, we are terrible about him being up on his man 20 feet from the rim. I had rather see a opposing big make a couple 3’s a game and have Gafford in the middle playing help D, blocking shots and getting rebounds with a outlet pass to these quicker guards that can get the running game going. This is what Mikes scheme is, up tempo with relentless D and having momentum on your side,I can’t see any reason to at least try a smaller quicker line up as long as they play smothering defense. WPS

When teams zone us and sag down on Gafford I’d like to see a bigger guard like Mason flashing the high post/elbow area as opposed to the designated 4 like Chaney/Bailey/Gabe. Those three guys aren’t respected for hitting that shot and none are really good passers. Flashing a guy like jones there where he could conceivably hit a couple mid range jumpers could loosen it up for Gafford a bit.

[quote=“Hogbacker”]

Your absolutely right,but he can’t be out of position anymore with a smaller line up than he is now, we are terrible about him being up on his man 20 feet from the rim. I had rather see a opposing big make a couple 3’s a game and have Gafford in the middle playing help D, blocking shots and getting rebounds with a outlet pass to these quicker guards that can get the running game going. This is what Mikes scheme is, up tempo with relentless D and having momentum on your side,I can’t see any reason to at least try a smaller quicker line up as long as they play smothering defense. WPS

[/quote]Did not mean to say the four guard approach would cause him to be outside more, just at least when Gabe or Chaney are on the court that hopefully you might have a least one bigger player on the boards

He ought to continue tinkering with the the lineup. I’d like to see Gafford stay in the middle on D. Anytime he switches one of 2 things normally happen a dunk or Gafford fouls trying to block from behind. That’s what happened in the Florida game.

We will miss Phillips (bad). I wish his family would have been more patient. I hope they learn to keep moving on the offensive end and figure out not pile up the driving lanes and spread the floor.

Not to be Debbie Downer, but using the lineup tool with my HoopLens account, I can’t find a four-guard lineup Arkansas used against Missouri that had the game-changing success.

I think Cuonzo Martin may have mistaken Bailey/Gabe for a guard or something. I’m not 100 percent sure. Also checked the play-by-play and couldn’t line it up right. Harris-Joe-Jones-Chaney-Gafford was the game-changing lineup to me. That group turned Missouri over 7 times in 21 possessions and outscored the Tigers 30-16.

Here’s a look at the best lineups from Wednesday:

[attachment=0]Screen Shot 2019-01-25 at 1.46.23 PM.png[/attachment]

I may have been mistaken but I thought at one time I saw Simpson, Sills, Harris and Joe on the court with Gafford at one point?

They were on the floor together for the final possession of the first half when Gafford hit the circus shot under the rim. Mike subbed out Gabe and Chaney for Desi and Gafford.

Ah, I thought that lineup was used more in the second half. My mistake I guess.

Did I notice Gafford cheating back to the paint when he had to switch or did I just dream that. Pretty sure I saw him do that. The one big I saw was letting Smith(?) get wide open. Should have been someone in his face regardless. Don’t switch, don’t help. Stay in his face. Think I saw Coach have that conversation with Jones. Next trip Joe was on him.