30 years ago Cotton Bowl vs UCLA

Go to the 2 minute mark for Jim Nance CBS open.

Game didn’t turn out well but fun seeing us on New Year’s Day in a then major bowl.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ds1vBIkJzcw

[quote=“bushhog”]

Go to the 2 minute mark for Jim Nance CBS open.

Game didn’t turn out well but fun seeing us on New Year’s Day in a then major bowl.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ds1vBIkJzcw

[/quote]The Bruins had a much better QB. Still, hard to believe that was 30 years ago.

Arkansas would come up with perfect offensive balance in that game. The Hogs totaled 42 yards of offense, 21 passing and 21 rushing. UA quarterback Quinn Grovey mentioned that in the post-game. To paraphrase Quinn’s comments : “You guys have always said we are not balanced. Today we were perfectly balanced.” That was a man destined to do radio commentary.

I sat in front of a bunch of guys from Aikman’s home town of Henryetta, who were whooping it up about him being the Cowboys next QB. I also had a pair of goofy Pac X fans beside me, who could dish it out but could not take it at all. UCLA also has maybe the most annoying fight song I’ve ever heard.

That was the dirtiest I ever saw an Arkansas defense play, as they repeatedly tried to knock Aikman out of the game. Aikman was tough enough to grit it out, but it was a brutal game.

Now… if we had had the next year’s offense with that defense we probably would have won either Cotton Bowl handily. As it was we were just not quite good enough to win either.

UCLA simply beat us. They were better than we were. However, I disagree we were not good enough to win the next year against Tenn. We should have won that game.

I was there. We played poorly.

Six turnovers against Tennessee. That will get you beat.

Including, as I recall, a critical interception in the Tenn EZ thrown by QG. We were ahead and about to widen the lead. Instead, Tenn hit a big TD play a few minutes later. Their WR, Carl Pickens (sp?) had a huge day against us.

IIRC, we set a Cotton Bowl record for total offense (to that point in time, at least), but lost. As Clay said - the turnovers will kill you. They did in that game.

The EZ INT v Tenn after running it unstopped down the field with Barry Foster.

In the UCLA game, our best OLman Freddie Childress and DLman Wayne Martin suspended for game. Not sure it would have mattered- UCLA was seemingly more athletic and Aikman dinked us to death up and down the field

The last edit I made to the photo book was to remove a picture of Troy Aikman playing in that game. Long story short, I thought the page would be in color, but it turned out to be slated for black and white. The picture was a close up of Aikman against an all-red backdrop - the Arkansas fans in the stands. It is a great photo that, in color, shows just how much of a home game the Cotton Bowl was for Arkansas.

My sister was one of those Arkansas cheerleaders they showed running out.

Was at both of those games (still HURTING) from the night before festivities and hated to see us lose them both! I too can’t believe we are talking 30 years ago!!! Miss those days that’s for sure.

Aloha,
If memory serves me correctly, our top two lineman (All American ?) were not allowed to play against UCLA for disciplinary reasons. We never had a chance with those suspensions…

GHG!