2020 college football season

Aloha,

WRT the 2020 football season. Which comes first, the egg or the chicken?

NCAA, conferences or universities approvals?

The NCAA could approve the 2020 football season but what would happen if various universities and/ or conferences decide NOT to open classes for the Fall semester?

Can a school have a football season without its campus being open for in-class attendance?

What would happen if the NCAA and SEC approved a Fall football season but some of the SEC schools decide not to open campus until 2021?

I can see a total train wreck if everyone is NOT on board about the 2020 football season. It requires united NCAA/ Conference/ University approvals to make it happen.

And as we all know, football pays the bills for university sports programs. The lack of football income will devastate the universities athletic programs (and all of their athletic teams, construction and supporting infrastructure) affecting salaries, scholarships and all associated costs of all athletic teams within each university’s athletic programs. The collateral damage (restaurants, hotels, transportation and media services, etc…) will also be immense.

It’s amazing to consider all of the communication involved at the NCAA/ conference and university level about starting up one single sport…college football. It’s the most important pillar for the vast majority of collegiate athletic sports. Without it, not much exists.

GHG!

What if the school wants to play but the state is still on lockdown? I think governors and local health officials are going to make the ultimate call.

While I like sports. Especially football!
The health of all Americans is the most important issue! Maybe the scientist can find the answers with treatments to help people recover but how far are we from having a vaccine? That may be the key!

Aloha,

At some point very soon it is going to become an economic decision. There is no guarantee of a vaccine being developed and we most definitely can’t wait 12-18 months. As more people become tested, the death rate becomes smaller. The forecast of deaths has significantly shrunk from millions, to hundreds of thousands to tens of thousands. This is not a virus with a high death rate. Time will show we lose more people to cancer, abortions, traffic accidents, illegal drugs, etc…than to the cornavirus.
The time shall come we shall have to put on our big boy pants and carry on. We have flatten the curve. No need to flatten and destroy our economy and way of life which will exceed any death total directly related to the virus.
Too many people have lost their jobs and/ or businesses. The energy sector has been slammed as well as the entertainment and services sectors. Just about every economic sector has been severely harmed. Time to adjust our chin straps and play ball.

Any way, back to the topic of discussion…the 2020 football season. As with our current political divide, I see a big divide among ALCON on starting school and playing fall sports in 2020. What a mess. Hopefully we shall have a clearer picture within weeks and not months.

I believe there will be football this fall along with nearly everything else. We cannot continue to shut down the country. The economy as well as the family economy cannot take more of this. We are not meant to sit hid at home.

What is wrong with each person taking his or her own risk and deciding for themselves if they want to take the risk including going to a football game? The virus is not going anywhere. We will all be exposed at some time.

Colorado is supposable shut down. Each day I see more and more people out and about. They seem to be keeping distance, but they are going about their lives. These people will decide and when there is enough of them, the politicians will have no choice.

The people still run the country.

1 Like

If there’s football in the fall and even one player gets the virus and dies it’s a PR disaster for the NCAA and college football. Critics will say because of greed the player died.

Aloha RD,

Respectfully disagree. If that is the case, then cancel everything until if and when a vaccine is created. Collapse all athletic sports programs. Cancel all scholarships. College programs with any debt (construction, bonds, etc…) without any income streaming in will basically go bankrupt. You and the all of the sports media will be unemployed. No sports to cover, no advertising. State governments will not have a tax base resulting in massive layoffs of government employees and elimination of social programs. Federal government can’t keep on printing money going into greater debt. If we wait to open the economy, colleges and football, we shall have a massive depression.

2 Likes

I’m not disagreeing with what you’re saying but we’re talking about the NCAA and the organization doesn’t have the best reputation right now. They’ve been accused of making billions off the backs of 18-22 year olds. If they play almost every health expert better be in agreement that it’s safe to play.

If there’s no football this fall there will be drastic cuts to programs. You’re seeing programs already cutting costs but it will be brutal with no football.

Then all the businesses that supply goods & services to the football & other programs will be laying off employees & possibly going bankrupt.

I’m with you about the economy. I’m terrified if we don’t get back to some sort of normalcy the world economy could collapse. This can only go so long. We can only pray the state’s that go into phase 1 don’t have huge increases in cases & deaths. Then we’re back to square one and that’s when it really gets scary.

I told my wife if we come out of this with both of us employed, we’ll be extremely blessed. Millions are hurting now and we’ve only been in shutdown mold for little over a month.

1 Like

If there is a football season this fall, I really don’t see it being uniform. Hasn’t California’s governor already said recently that he doesn’t see football (or other sports) anytime this year?

In the south, there will be a big push to have football if possible. But maybe there is none on the west coast or northeast. I could see schools playing a haphazard schedule this year. If a school on your schedule is playing football, you have a game. If not, you have a bye that week. As someone already mentioned, you may even see schools within the same conference make different decisions on whether to play.

Schools might even scramble to agree to a matchup to fill holes in the schedule.

It’s honestly going to be very interesting to see what happens.

That’s exactly the problem. Let the NCAA try to mandate every team play under the cloud of the virus. They won’t be able to because of the fallout.

I think we have to try to get back 2 life is normal as quickly as we can…I think we just have to look at the facts of this disease and see if you want to consider it a risk. Here are the facts… 80% of the people who get this disease will have mild to moderate cases not even requiring going to the hospital… If you do have to go to the hospital you have about a 97% shot of recovering… I think the odds of you having to really worry about this disease is very minimal… we all have learned social distancing is important, so do the very best you can to do that, but like I said worst case scenario if you do get it, you have a tremendously high percentage of overcoming it…Yes there will be people affected by going to life is normal, but you have to understand that the more people affected the less people that can be affected… I think they have to be playing in the fall to avoid any kind of resurgence.The idea to try to play in the spring is ridiculous because it’s right in the middle of the resurgence of this disease and would change the landscape of college football dramatically. I say let’s attack this disease and realize the numbers of recovery are highly in our favor instead of letting the disease attack us.

1 Like

Nobody disagrees with that, but the question is how quick is prudent and how quick is too quick? Start too early, get a resurgence and a few hundred thousand more deaths, and it’s even worse for the economy.

If the only goal was to minimize economic disruption, you wouldn’t have shut down at all, let the pandemic run its course and count the victims as collateral damage (remember the 1918 pandemic is estimated to have killed 50 million worldwide, at a time when world population was about one-fifth of the current level). But they didn’t do that because people’s lives are actually more important than the economy.

Exactly how are we going to attack this disease? You isolate, which we are doing; you treat it and you vaccinate for it. Those are our options. Vaccine is many months away. Treatments are occasionally promising, occasionally not (the VA study pretty much finishes off hydroxychloroquine as an option). But even if you found the miracle cure, it would take a while to ramp up production of whatever they find and get it distributed.

I think you attack the disease as I said by knowing that the chances of recovery are extremely high.it is absolutely terrible that lives are being lost over this disease so I totally understand that. There will be more people affected but like I said that means there will be less people that it can affect. I still also believe that as we get into the warmer months this disease is going to subside dramatically. I just don’t think we can continue to be fearful to live a normal life when the numbers of recovery far outweigh those who don’t recover. This is one of those things where there is no perfect answer.

1 Like

The fact that the chances of recovery are so high is exactly why this one is so difficult. If you got Ebola, you died, but you weren’t going to spread it to others. With this one, you get it, you probably won’t die, but there’s a good chance you spread it to other people and more than one of those people may die.

The US has a little over 128k closed cases, 35% of those cases resulted in death. Not sure how you can claim such high survivability when almost 90% of the people who have contracted the disease are still sick.

When hospitals, morgues, funeral homes, and cemetaries get slammed beyond their capacity to handle it, THAT is a “high death rate.” (That HAS happened in Wuhan, Italy, Spain, New York City, New Orleans, etc.) It has taken drastic steps (shutting down schools, churches, and the non-essential part of the economy) to avoid allowing the death rate to go much higher where Covid-19 was allowed to spread widely before strong action was taken. Until there is a vaccine, the potential for high death rates will exist anywhere that precautions (social distancing, masks, prohibiting crowds) don’t exist. That is the new reality and the world will remain drastically changed UNTIL an effective vaccine is available. The solution is aggressive testing, aggressive isolating of the infected, and a more careful way of living for all of us. That means masks will be mandatory when we are around other people. That means frequent testing and very aggressive isolating whenever infections are found. No matter how much we all want this to go away and things to be back to normal instantly, that ain’t happening. We are looking at drastic lifestyle changes for a year or more and lots of people dying who should not where the need for those changes are ignored ------------------ until we have a vaccine. JMVVVVVHO

I don’t think the NCAA can or should MANDATE anyone place. It has to be an open choice. Likewise, school should never MANDATE that an individual player has to play. Each individual must make their own decision.

I can claim such high numbers is because the death rate in the US around 3%. But 80% well not even have to go to the hospital anda lot t will have it and they didnt even know they had it because they really had no symptoms. As far as all those other numbers you talk about, the greatest indicator of wha MIGHT happen in the future, is what has already happened in the past.

I hope by football season we’ll actually have a bunch of diagnostic tests. We can isolate those with positive tests. Of course, there’s no guarantee that someone with negative tests won’t contract it later, but the odds go down if instead of isolated everyone, we just isolate the known carriers & those who’ve been in close contact with them.

We also need reliable anti-body tests to know who had it & is no longer at risk of getting it. (Presuming, of course, there’s at least some sort of short term immunity from having had it & recovering.)

If finally have that by June or even July, we can move toward normalcy. I don’t know how we can do it before we start having lots of tests. Those overrun hospitals & morgues in NYC tell me this is a whole lot worse than the typical flu.

As for a vaccine: every expert I’ve heard or read says we’re at best a year away.

We might have football season, although I doubt it, but if we do, it’s likely to be played in pretty damned empty stadiums. We might re-open colleges & universities, but I doubt there’ll be a whole lot of packed dorms.

1 Like

I believe Governors are going to make the decisions on each state. Then we will know. It will be an easy decision to play football if the Governor allow students on college campuses. If not, there will be no football. I do not believe it will be a decision made by anyone at the NCAA.

For many years I’ve thought that the most powerful person in the state (in Arkansas or Alabama) was the head football coach. Right now, it’s not that way. It is the Governor. Never has the Governor made more important decisions.