2 game lead lets Hogs control its own destiny...................

…if we can play well and win the LSU and A&M series. If we only lose two, one of the other contenders would have to sweep both its final series to catch us. OleMiss is the only one that would win a tie-breaker so the West is ours if we win 4 or better. The four top west teams play each other this weekend, so it should sort out quickly. We play LSU and OleMiss plays MissState. I think we will win the series with LSU, but I worry about a letdown in Aggie Land, that might trip us up. Of the top 4 in the west, our final series against A&M is the toughest match. Go Hogs!

[quote=“Hogmodo”]

…if we can play well and win the LSU and A&M series. If we only lose two, one of the other contenders would have to sweep both its final series to catch us. OleMiss is the only one that would win a tie-breaker so the West is ours if we win 4 or better. The four top west teams play each other this weekend, so it should sort out quickly. We play LSU and OleMiss plays MissState. I think we will win the series with LSU, but I worry about a letdown in Aggie Land, that might trip us up. Of the top 4 in the west, our final series against A&M is the toughest match. Go Hogs!

[/quote]Ole Miss looks strong heading into their series with MSU, but they’ll also need to travel to Tenn. On the other hand, MSU concludes with USE-e (how come we don’t play them) at home…the easiest SEC West gig of the final week.

Arkansas played South Carolina last season. The way the SEC West-SEC East rotation works in baseball is that you will only have one team from the other division on your schedule two years in a row. The rotation this year put Kentucky as the repeat team. Next year it will be Tennessee (there).

Arkansas’ other SEC East opponents in 2020 will be Florida and Georgia at home, and at South Carolina.

Thanks, but I was also intimating that we were not fortunate to play them (this season) while they were awful.

Yeah, one problem with the schedule is that one team can end up with a much easier schedule than another. Vandy is likely to win the SEC this year, but their conference schedule isn’t nearly as difficult as ours. 3 of the 4 worst teams in the SEC are in the east this year.

There’s nothing that can be done about it, though. I don’t think we should add an 11th series, but even if we did, that still leaves 2 teams off the schedule. It’s just one of those things that happens when you can’t have a full round-robin schedule.

OM is hot right now, but so is MSU. Since both are 2 games behind us, I don’t really care who wins their series as long as they split it. We can really put some space between us & everyone else if we manage to sweep LSU. TAMU should be tough in College Station, but they don’t seem to be playing as well lately as they did earlier in the season. I could see us going down there & getting 2 wins.

There’s pretty much no way that any team in the East could have a schedule as tough as anyone in the West this year. Even if someone played us, LSU, Moo U and A&M, they’d miss Ole Miss and Auburn.

Collectively, the West is far superior to the East this year, and might be as strong of a division as the SEC has ever had. The East’s third-best team might be seventh in the West.

I think there are five legitimate Omaha contenders in the West, which makes Arkansas potentially winning the division so impressive, especially during a season with so many new players.

[quote=“MattJones”]

Collectively, the West is far superior to the East this year, and might be as strong of a division as the SEC has ever had. The East’s third-best team might be seventh in the West.

I think there are five legitimate Omaha contenders in the West, which makes Arkansas potentially winning the division so impressive, especially during a season with so many new players.

[/quote]And only 2 seniors. They are a young team, obviously playing well together.

[quote=“daBoar”]

Most teams aren’t going to have seniors because of the draft. Most veteran teams are going to be stocked with juniors, like Arkansas was last year and is again this year.

The Razorbacks have seven true or redshirt juniors this year, plus Marshall Denton and Kevin Kopps, who are redshirt sophomores and have been in the program for three years.

It’s kind of a weird dynamic, though, because a lot of the juniors this year either didn’t play last year, or weren’t asked to play much because of the depth in front of them.

[quote=“MattJones”]

Matt, who do you see gone next year besides the obvious Cronin, Fletcher, Campbell, and Ezell ?

You’d have to think that Kenley is gone, and Plunkett (he’s a senior too). Probably Scroggins as well, and Kostyshock.

Maybe Denton and Kopps return - maybe?

The rest are mostly not draft eligible or not playing much anyhow.

I overlooked Kenley…I could see Scroggins andd Kopps coming back looking to improve draft position, as Campbell has done.

Scroggins loses his leverage after this year. I do not think he will be back.

Of the players who are draft-eligible, I think there is probably a good chance that Kopps and Denton return. Beyond that, I expect most - if not all - juniors to be gone. Jordan McFarland is the only one that I could see maybe coming back because he hasn’t really had a position defensively and his hitting has been inconsistent.