Premium forum for discussing Razorback basketball.
Scottie Bordelon

Arkansas-Texas recap from El Paso

Postby Scottie Bordelon » Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:28 am

"Sometimes growing up is painful," Mike Anderson told me.

My story from El Paso on Arkansas’ heartbreaking overtime loss to Texas in the Armed Forces Classic: http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2018 ... 0181110-1/
--
Scottie Bordelon
Sports Reporter
WholeHogSports.com

Pigginout

Re: Arkansas-Texas recap from El Paso

Postby Pigginout » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:51 am

I did not see a quote from MA about why we did not foul at the end of regulation instead of letting the guy shoot the three and tie the game. Was he not asked about that? If not, why? I was hoping when we called timeout before Gafford’s free throws that he was doing so in part to tell them to foul if the clock got below 5 seconds. If we foul in that situation we win the game. Period. That was a major coaching mistake in my opinion. And, by the way, I like MA. I take no pleasure in criticizing him for that.

Scottie Bordelon

Postby Scottie Bordelon » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:50 am

If you listen to the video I got of Mike after the game I asked him what the plan was at the end of regulation and mentioned to him that Jalen Harris told me there weren't any breakdowns. Mike said Roach just hit a tough shot. Didn't really address not fouling in that situation.
--
Scottie Bordelon
Sports Reporter
WholeHogSports.com

PJHawg

Postby PJHawg » Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:53 pm

Scottie Bordelon wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:50 am
If you listen to the video I got of Mike after the game I asked him what the plan was at the end of regulation and mentioned to him that Jalen Harris told me there weren't any breakdowns. Mike said Roach just hit a tough shot. Didn't really address not fouling in that situation.
Some coaches go for the foul and some don't. There are no stats showing which way is better. So coaches continue to do what they believe in and what they feel is right at that time. Their way works for them most of the time. That is why they do it. Mike does not believe in fouling.

But I am sure fans will continue to argue that whenever it does not work, Facts of life.

rollingwithmike

Postby rollingwithmike » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:23 pm

Scottie Bordelon wrote:
Comments: hindsight or second guessing after the play, nothing would have been said if that desperate attempt didn't go in, I do think Bailey should gotten little closer with hands straight up in the air....

PJHawg

Postby PJHawg » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:16 pm

rollingwithmike wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:23 pm
Scottie Bordelon wrote:
Comments: hindsight or second guessing after the play, nothing would have been said if that desperate attempt didn't go in, I do think Bailey should gotten little closer with hands straight up in the air....
Yep, that was not good defense by Adrio. He played to stop dribble penetration.