Premium forum for discussing Razorback basketball.
Dudley Dawson

Re: On their last shot

Postby Dudley Dawson » Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:58 pm

daBoar wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:35 pm
Hawgjawbend wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:13 pm

Gafford will be a liability at the end of games. Can’t hit big FTs. Maybe he’ll get better. He needs to.
He's had 9 months to work on his free throws...I don't sense any improvement there. On the other hand, Bailey just had to sink one of them.

Daniel's form looks better to me, but they are not falling enough yet. As I said earlier, I think it is purely a confidence thing with him at this point.

The Notorious PIG

Postby The Notorious PIG » Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:32 pm

Dudley Dawson wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:58 pm
daBoar wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:35 pm
Hawgjawbend wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:13 pm

Gafford will be a liability at the end of games. Can’t hit big FTs. Maybe he’ll get better. He needs to.
He's had 9 months to work on his free throws...I don't sense any improvement there. On the other hand, Bailey just had to sink one of them.
Daniel's form looks better to me, but they are not falling enough yet. As I said earlier, I think it is purely a confidence thing with him at this point.

This is correct. The shots look much better. They’re not going in. The last one rattled in and out. When they go in he’s reacting with excitement and relief. It’s in his head.

That’s why I wish people weren’t piling on him and acting like he hasn’t been working at it or doesn’t look better. It’s counterproductive.

But I also understand it’s not going to stop. Some of the same people say we are never good at FTs, ignore that 2 years ago we were 27th out of 327 teams (before being bad last year) in FT%.

budfromlr

Postby budfromlr » Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:58 pm

Poor coaching - we should of fouled them.

daBoar

Postby daBoar » Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:02 pm

The Notorious PIG wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:32 pm

That’s why I wish people weren’t piling on him and acting like he hasn’t been working at it or doesn’t look better. It’s counterproductive.

But I also understand it’s not going to stop. Some of the same people say we are never good at FTs, ignore that 2 years ago we were 27th out of 327 teams (before being bad last year) in FT%.
Oh, come on Pig. Look at his stats, even in the preseason games. His free throw shooting has been abysmal. A clank is not a good shot.

niels_boar

Postby niels_boar » Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:15 pm

Fouling wasn't an obvious tactic in that particular situation. They got the ball with 10 seconds left. Fouling immediately wasn't a great option. They make 2 FTs, cut it to 1 with about 8 seconds left, and then we have to face their press with a bunch of guards with little experience and make FTs again. We had already committed 1 bad TO against the press in the last 30 seconds. Losing in regulation was in play with an immediate foul. We should have fouled when the clock got under 5 seconds, but you are asking the defense to watch the clock and foul before a shot is in progress. If somebody yells foul off the ball, the ballhandler can hear that, too, and act accordingly. As it was, a 36% arc shooter took a trey off the dribble with a hand in his face. It wasn't a terrible option.

PJHawg

Postby PJHawg » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:22 pm

niels_boar wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:15 pm
Fouling wasn't an obvious tactic in that particular situation. They got the ball with 10 seconds left. Fouling immediately wasn't a great option. They make 2 FTs, cut it to 1 with about 8 seconds left, and then we have to face their press with a bunch of guards with little experience and make FTs again. We had already committed 1 bad TO against the press in the last 30 seconds. Losing in regulation was in play with an immediate foul. We should have fouled when the clock got under 5 seconds, but you are asking the defense to watch the clock and foul before a shot is in progress. If somebody yells foul off the ball, the ballhandler can hear that, too, and act accordingly. As it was, a 36% arc shooter took a trey off the dribble with a hand in his face. It wasn't a terrible option.
Yep, easier said from the armchair than done on the court.

Hollywoodbeachhog

Postby Hollywoodbeachhog » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:55 pm

budfromlr wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:58 pm
I see a lot of people preaching this strategy. I see two problems, (1) you have to foul without it being flagrant and (2) if I was a ref all the guy with the ball would have to do is just half-ass fling the ball and act like he was trying to shoot and I'd give him 3 FT's. The Hack-a-Shaq defense is and always has been bush league. Just like flops.

GeneralHog

Postby GeneralHog » Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:37 am

budfromlr wrote:
Or Anderson was playing the percentages of Texas offense in the second half, which were horrible. We can all second guess one call or the other, but you have no idea what went into a decision until you look at all the facts.

Army Hog

Postby Army Hog » Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:16 am

GeneralHog wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:37 am
budfromlr wrote:
Or Anderson was playing the percentages of Texas offense in the second half, which were horrible. We can all second guess one call or the other, but you have no idea what went into a decision until you look at all the facts.
There were numerous chances for our young hogs to have won this game. Picking on one possession over all the others. In my opinion it wasn't the best defense on that last possession. Our defender was inside the 3 point arc and allowed too much space for the shot to be taken. We had plenty of chances to win.
Just one more free throw in regulation or just make the base line shot inside of clanking a dunk attempt. We could go on and on.

GeneralHog

Postby GeneralHog » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:54 am

Army Hog wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:16 am
GeneralHog wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:37 am
budfromlr wrote:
There were numerous chances for our young hogs to have won this game. Picking on one possession over all the others. In my opinion it wasn't the best defense on that last possession. Our defender was inside the 3 point arc and allowed too much space for the shot to be taken. We had plenty of chances to win.
Just one more free throw in regulation or just make the base line shot inside of clanking a dunk attempt. We could go on and on.
Agreed