Free forum for all users.
Swine Fusion

Re: I think Long will do a good job at Kansas

Postby Swine Fusion » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:27 pm

Jhawg wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:36 pm
What is the deal with the open space at the north end zone? It looks weird. Why was this expansion not extended to meet the east side? I am just asking...does anybody know?
The view into the stadium from the hill on Maple Street was deemed to be something worth preserving. So they preserved it.

Lots of modern stadiums are built with gaps in the seating. The Patriots' Gillette Stadium, for instance (top left corner in this view). And there was no existing view to preserve; Gillette was built like this from scratch.

My people skills are just fine; it's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.

Richard Davenport

Postby Richard Davenport » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:54 am

Long is respected by coaches and athletes. He has to do a better job of communicating with the big money people. He upset many of them with a dismissive attitude.

Swinefinder

Postby Swinefinder » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:40 pm

That's an interesting "take" Mr. Davenport. As an passionate (but average in every other way) fan, Long always impressed me as a guy who was fairly adroit at dealing with well healed boosters. Without naming names, could you give an example of how Long ticked off some big moneyed people?

Dudley Dawson

Postby Dudley Dawson » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:09 pm

Let's break this down very simple.

When Jeff Long came in and replaced Coach Broyles, he didn't keep around Coach Broyles' people and that alienated people right away.

He was also viewed as a $ first guy even though he pushed Arkansas into a situation where it thrived financially.

He went about that in a different manner than Coach Broyles did and that ruffled the feathers of many.

I certainly think he could have gone about it a different way at times.

But he lost his job because of two things - the buyout contract given to Coach B and Coach B's last two seasons.

If those last two things had not happened, he would still be here regardless of that stuff up top.

One other thing to add, there is a lot of false information out there - disseminated by both sides.

Don't take something someone tells you as the gospel truth. Many times it isn't. It's just a ploy to try and get you to push that false information and change the narrative.

Swinefinder

Postby Swinefinder » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:55 pm

Thank you Dudley. I don’t take things as gospel and I don’t want to push a false narrative but if I (and other posters) don’t write we hear on the streets or give our misinformed opinions, we really don’t learn what the facts are. We certainly don’t learn them in the “official” media. I have learned more in this thread about Jeff Long and the inner workings of the athletic department he ran here than I ever did in the ADG or any publication dealing with Razorback athletics. So, I will keep giving opinions (right or wrong) and hopefully provoke reaction from those in the “know” (like yourself) who can set the record straight.