Free forum for all users.
GeneralHog

NCAA Tournament

Postby GeneralHog » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:17 pm

Arkansas draws the 7 seed and playing Butler.

I think we deserved the 6th seed, especially over Florida, but it is what it is.

If we win Friday, we most likely will play Purdue. An interesting match up, but Butler is no push over.

Army Hog

Re: NCAA Tournament

Postby Army Hog » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:33 pm

GeneralHog wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:17 pm

I think we deserved the 6th seed, especially over Florida, but it is what it is.

If we win Friday, we most likely will play Purdue. An interesting match up, but Butler is no push over.
This is a better draw than we've had in several years! The hogs should be able to beat Butler. As far as the 2 seed to potentially face with a win Purdue is a better matchup over Duke or North Carolina whom you play a 8 on 5 game aginst the opponent and the refs.
This a a solid chance to make the sweet 16! Take care of the ball and play defense and they will advance.
I haven't watched Butler in over a month.
This is Beard, Bardford, Trey and Macon's time to shine and play good solid basketball. Im looking forward to these games. No matter what happens this has been a good season.

bakedhog19741

Postby bakedhog19741 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:34 pm

GeneralHog wrote:

I like our draw. I looked at the 6 seeds. I’m not sure we would have gotten as good a draw. Honestly, I have us vs WVU in the Elite Eight. TCU (a six seed) most likely gets Arizona St. I think they beat TCU. FL is in our bracket, I think TT will beat them and we will beat TT. Houston has to go through Michigan (I think they will) and the winner gets UNC. And Miami gets TN in the round of 32. I think we actually have the best draw of all the 6/7 seeds.

I’ve been saying since the last week of the season, this time of year is all about matchups. I think we got a very favorable matchup and draw

GeneralHog

Postby GeneralHog » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:40 pm

We should be able to beat Butler, but lets not overlook them. They have beaten Villanova and push Xavier to the brink. Plus, we'll be in their back yard, so I expect more fans to show up for them than us.

Same goes for Purdue and where we're playing.

Army Hog

Postby Army Hog » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:51 pm

GeneralHog wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:40 pm
We should be able to beat Butler, but lets not overlook them. They have beaten Villanova and push Xavier to the brink. Plus, we'll be in their back yard, so I expect more fans to show up for them than us.

If we beat Butler the Purdue matchup is pretty simple. We hit the 3 at a higher rate and we are actually quicker than they are.
Keeping Gafford out of foul trouble will be key! I think this does beat the other potential draws of the 6 or 7 seeds.
TCU won't survive the play in game winner! I'm not a TCU fan. I also think Florida and Texas Tech will have a tough game. I hope we don't play Florida again!
It would be nice to play Wichita State and shock them!

bakedhog19741

Postby bakedhog19741 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:03 pm

Army Hog wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:51 pm
GeneralHog wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:40 pm

If we beat Butler the Purdue matchup is pretty simple. We hit the 3 at a higher rate and we are actually quicker than they are.
Keeping Gafford out of foul trouble will be key! I think this does beat the other potential draws of the 6 or 7 seeds.
TCU won't survive the play in game winner! I'm not a TCU fan. I also think Florida and Texas Tech will have a tough game. I hope we don't play Florida again!
It would be nice to play Wichita State and shock them!

I don’t think Wich St matches up with either us or WVU. And I agree, I don’t want FL again, however, I think Tech takes them on the two day turn around. Same thing with Purdue. I don’t think they’re geared for such a short turnaround with a fast paced team. They’ll tire out. Playing Tech after four days will allow us to prepare for them. I agree about TCU. I also have AUB going down in the first round.

bigrob2945

Postby bigrob2945 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:57 pm

i like our draw other than the location, we match up well with the teams in our side because we are different than all of them. i hope we would get in an all rough and tumble bracket with big, slow teams. though Butler is prolly the team most like us in our pod so makes for good matchup. if we hit shots, we could do some real damage in the bracket. go hogs, wps

Gay

Postby Gay » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:18 pm

GeneralHog wrote:

Butler is a 1.5 point favorite and have a 53% chance of winning. Therefore, Butler should have been a 6 or 7 seed so the selection committed should have treated Arkansas better.

MikeinDallas

Postby MikeinDallas » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:08 pm

Ya Butler scares the heck out of me, 10 seed my eye! They beat Villanova! This is a school that only 6 or 7 years ago made back to back trips to the finals of the Final Four. I realize that was obviously a different team and they now have a different coach but this is a big time basketball program. The Hogs need to be very focused!

Dfarris

Postby Dfarris » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:33 pm

Butler is no joke and I hope our Guys understand they are playing a program that is used to having success in the NCAA Tournament.
If our guys come out with a bunch of energy and are taking and making good shots, rebound we should have a good chance of advancing.
On the flip side if for some reason they don’t then Butler is disciplined enough to hand them an opening round loss.
Butler is not a very good rebounding team, so hopefully we can get some second chance opportunities throughout the game and cash in on them.
They don’t tend to turn the ball over based on what they’ve done this season and they do shoot a lot of 3’s, so we need to gaurd the 3 point shot and limit 2nd chance opportunities on their end.
If we do advance we will most likely match up with Purdue, which has a monster of a man down low in Haas, it will be key that Gafford stay out of foul trouble if we do get to this game otherwise they will simply feed the ball down in the block to him and he is pretty darn hard to match up with once he gets it in the paint.
We will definitely need to push the pace if w do advance to meet Purdue, if we can and make 40% of our 3’s then will have an opportunity to advance, if not then we probably don’t.
Can’t wait to see if these guys can finally get past the opening week, if they can who knows? It’s all about matchups in the Tournament and not necessarily the best teams that get to the sweet sixteen and beyond.

Go Hogs!