Free forum for all users.
GeneralHog

Re: Arkansas vs. Kentucky

Postby GeneralHog » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:39 pm

A&M lost at home, Mizzou just lost at home, and Arkansas lost at home. The only team that didn't lose at home was LSU.

Not an excuse, but it just shows how deep our league is and how good we are to win the vast majority of our games at home.

Army Hog

Postby Army Hog » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:56 am

GeneralHog wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:39 pm
A&M lost at home, Mizzou just lost at home, and Arkansas lost at home. The only team that didn't lose at home was LSU.

Not an excuse, but it just shows how deep our league is and how good we are to win the vast majority of our games at home.
General tomorrow night the hogs need help! Auburn needs to beat Alabama and
Vols need to beat Florida.
Or we may be playing for 5 to 7 the place.

GeneralHog

Postby GeneralHog » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:28 am

Army Hog wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:56 am
GeneralHog wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:39 pm

General tomorrow night the hogs need help! Auburn needs to beat Alabama and
Vols need to beat Florida.
Or we may be playing for 5 to 7 the place.
The only one who can help Arkansas right now is Arkansas. The only team that needs to probably keep losing right now is Florida because the pundits seem to be ridiculously obsessed with giving them a pass on a mediocre season with bad losses.

Arkansas just needs to win at least one, but it'd be great if Arkansas can beat both Alabama and Auburn.

GeneralHog

Postby GeneralHog » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:32 am

I'm pretty shocked. Our RPI from last night dropped from 25 to 34. Other than it being a home lose, I don't see how on God's green earth we drop 9 points to a top 20 RPI team.

reddiehog

Postby reddiehog » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:33 am

How far is going to drop with 3 more loses? Hogs will finish the year in a slump, just look how the season has gone. I have no faith with MA at the helm.

Hogbacker

Postby Hogbacker » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:53 am

GeneralHog wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:14 pm
Well, this sucked.

I was afraid this would happen with Kentucky.

Simple fact is they couldn't miss and we couldn't buy anything. Thompson alone killed a lot of our defense. I don't mean to be mean to a single player, but that's what it is. We didn't take away the offense rebound put backs and a team that struggles at the line made 85% of their FT's. All there is to it.

I said from the get go that Alabama was going to be the most crucial game and now it definitely is. We beat Bama, we are a lock to make the tourney.

And before someone says it, no, this game isn't going to kill our tourney hopes. Losing at home sucks, but losing to an RPI 18 school isn't going to hurt our RPI much at all. Almost every home team lost tonight and Ole Miss and Mizzou are going to overtime.

We are still a good team making our way. Our bench was almost useless tonight. Our presence down low was ok, but Gafford couldn't get good shots.

We can rebound from this. I know they can and they will. Bama will be tough and they are Arkansas tough this year at home, but we can beat them.
General let’s call this what it is, we start four seniors two who were the top Juco players and have one of the top freshman in the country and a senior big man coming off the bench and we are in a position that you feel we need to beat Alabama to be a lock for the tournament,frankly I’m disappointed. Last night we witnessed why we get very little respect from the national media as we were stifled by a average team by Kentucky standards and dropped in the ranks quickly. I’m of the opinion that if your starting team is senior laden and as a coach all these players are guys you recruited and the season is winding down and you have the possibility of not making the tournament it “may” be time to evaluate your scheme and assistant coaches. For the last couple weeks I bought in and started drinking the kool-aid that this team was coming around and would be tough down the stretch but I’m not so sure after being exposed as we were last night. Also I think this loss has very little to do with Trey Thompson, we knee coming in Trey couldn’t run with these guys and when our guards got beat off the dribble Trey done what he was supposed to do and that was pick up the guy driving the ball. Not trying to be a downer but it seems I woke this morning without my rose colored glasses on, we are not out of this by any means but we are on the mat dazed and the referee is on the five count and we need to get up and start swinging ! WPS

GeneralHog

Postby GeneralHog » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:05 am

reddiehog wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:33 am
How far is going to drop with 3 more loses? Hogs will finish the year in a slump, just look how the season has gone. I have no faith with MA at the helm.
On the road to Bama and Mizzou, not very much, or at least it shouldn't. Arkansas, Bama, and Mizzou have similar RPI's, so by math, if we were to lose to both, we shouldn't drop much at all. If we lose to Auburn, apparently home loses drop you significantly. Mizzou dropped 16 points after last nights loss to Ole Miss, but it's Ole Miss, so I understand. I still don't get how we dropped 9 points.

If we lose to Auburn, it "shouldn't" drop us much, but after last night, who knows.

And who knows if we'll end in a slump. I'm more confident in the Auburn game since they've lost pretty much all their decent big men, but it's still not a gimme by far. Bama is a toss up. We're playing them away, where they have been very good. BUT, we've been good at home this year like usual and we got stomped last night, so who knows. Mizzou is also a toss up because like Arkansas, they're wildly inconsistent.

And no matter how you feel about Anderson, having no faith in him to finish the season strong is illogical based on how most years end for us.

GeneralHog

Postby GeneralHog » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:17 am

Hogbacker wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:53 am
GeneralHog wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:14 pm
Well, this sucked.

I was afraid this would happen with Kentucky.

Simple fact is they couldn't miss and we couldn't buy anything. Thompson alone killed a lot of our defense. I don't mean to be mean to a single player, but that's what it is. We didn't take away the offense rebound put backs and a team that struggles at the line made 85% of their FT's. All there is to it.

I said from the get go that Alabama was going to be the most crucial game and now it definitely is. We beat Bama, we are a lock to make the tourney.

And before someone says it, no, this game isn't going to kill our tourney hopes. Losing at home sucks, but losing to an RPI 18 school isn't going to hurt our RPI much at all. Almost every home team lost tonight and Ole Miss and Mizzou are going to overtime.

We are still a good team making our way. Our bench was almost useless tonight. Our presence down low was ok, but Gafford couldn't get good shots.

We can rebound from this. I know they can and they will. Bama will be tough and they are Arkansas tough this year at home, but we can beat them.
General let’s call this what it is, we start four seniors two who were the top Juco players and have one of the top freshman in the country and a senior big man coming off the bench and we are in a position that you feel we need to beat Alabama to be a lock for the tournament,frankly I’m disappointed. Last night we witnessed why we get very little respect from the national media as we were stifled by a average team by Kentucky standards and dropped in the ranks quickly. I’m of the opinion that if your starting team is senior laden and as a coach all these players are guys you recruited and the season is winding down and you have the possibility of not making the tournament it “may” be time to evaluate your scheme and assistant coaches. For the last couple weeks I bought in and started drinking the kool-aid that this team was coming around and would be tough down the stretch but I’m not so sure after being exposed as we were last night. Also I think this loss has very little to do with Trey Thompson, we knee coming in Trey couldn’t run with these guys and when our guards got beat off the dribble Trey done what he was supposed to do and that was pick up the guy driving the ball. Not trying to be a downer but it seems I woke this morning without my rose colored glasses on, we are not out of this by any means but we are on the mat dazed and the referee is on the five count and we need to get up and start swinging ! WPS
I think you're being unfair in this assessment.

Freshmen or Senior means nothing, especially this late in the year. We've seen it time and again, or we'd see a bunch of teams with a bunch of seniors winning the tournament, but it doesn't happen.

I keep seeing people say Kentucky is average or mediocre. Yes, they aren't up to the usual blue chip standards, but they still have 3 first rounders and like everybody else in the SEC, they've gone through a slump. Now their out.

And one game doesn't mean we can't finish strong. And exposed? Did it ever occur to anyone that Kentucky just played better last night. Any team on any given night can outplay anybody in this league. We've seen it all season, so to say we were "exposed" isn't accurate to the evidence.

Yes, Thompson picked up the ball handler off the screen, but instead of going back to his man to take away those lobs, he stayed where he was and the more athletic Kentucky players went around him. I watched at least 10 points scored off lobs that were allowed by him not getting back to his man on defense. The same thing rarely happened if at all with Gafford in the game.

Rknsaw

Postby Rknsaw » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:20 am

We need a coach. No more excuses.

bakedhog19741

Postby bakedhog19741 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:36 am

GeneralHog wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:05 am
reddiehog wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:33 am
On the road to Bama and Mizzou, not very much, or at least it shouldn't. Arkansas, Bama, and Mizzou have similar RPI's, so by math, if we were to lose to both, we shouldn't drop much at all. If we lose to Auburn, apparently home loses drop you significantly. Mizzou dropped 16 points after last nights loss to Ole Miss, but it's Ole Miss, so I understand. I still don't get how we dropped 9 points.

If we lose to Auburn, it "shouldn't" drop us much, but after last night, who knows.

And who knows if we'll end in a slump. I'm more confident in the Auburn game since they've lost pretty much all their decent big men, but it's still not a gimme by far. Bama is a toss up. We're playing them away, where they have been very good. BUT, we've been good at home this year like usual and we got stomped last night, so who knows. Mizzou is also a toss up because like Arkansas, they're wildly inconsistent.

And no matter how you feel about Anderson, having no faith in him to finish the season strong is illogical based on how most years end for us.

General, I looked up RPI. Losing out puts us at #53 in RPI. Winning against AUB puts us at #38. However, the Wizard has not updated yet, so it could move down, or if the other three teams win out, might not hurt as much.