Free forum for all users.
bakedhog19741
Posts: 6117
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:42 pm

Re: Again, U of A, Fayetteville

Postby bakedhog19741 » Wed May 02, 2018 11:32 am

Rknsaw wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 11:20 am
If you're going to continue to use "University of Arkansas, Fayetteville ", out of respect for everyone you should be sure to use "university of Mississippi, Oxford" and so on for all of the other schools mentioned in all of your articles. It's only fair.

If that’s their names, I agree

dwp007
Posts: 223
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:19 pm

Re: Again, U of A, Fayetteville

Postby dwp007 » Wed May 02, 2018 1:08 pm

I haven't looked at the statute cited by SGH, but an active law describing the Fayetteville campus as the "University of Arkansas" would lend itself to the lawful name of the institution. There certainly hasn't been anything on this thread to refute the referenced statute. I would also suspect the diplomas received by UA graduates would use the legal name of the university from which they have graduated.

For various reasons given by numerous posts, in my opinion, the University of Arkansas, Fayetteville reference is redundant and poor writing practice at its finest. It is also incredibly silly, to the point of being bonehead stupid. :roll:

UA and Other Diplomas:

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=un ... &FORM=IGRE

Go Hogs.

Snout_
Posts: 63
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:35 am

Re: Again, U of A, Fayetteville

Postby Snout_ » Wed May 02, 2018 1:54 pm

This conversation has left the point. Plain and simple - it is idiotic to say The University of Arkansas, Fayetteville in every article about the Hogs in the home state newspaper. Period. I honestly don't care what the exact legal name is of the U of A; it is obvious that this was done to either antagonize a group of fans or stir up a fake controversy to get more clicks for advertising or something.

Tuschawg
Posts: 676
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:33 pm
Location: Tuscalooser, AL

Re: Again, U of A, Fayetteville

Postby Tuschawg » Wed May 02, 2018 5:32 pm

Richard Davenport wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 12:09 pm


I was told it has always been the ADG policy, but through change of management the ball was dropped and the use of UAF went away by some. I defended it because I talked to management about and was told what I shared with you guys.
Richard, this should be relatively easy to check to see if someone lied to you about it "went away". Look back at articles that OH wrote to see if his editors made this same change. Look at any article since OH to see if you can find truth to what you've been told. I just don't remember this "ADG policy", or "AD policy", or "AG policy".

StillGregHog
Posts: 1265
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:13 pm

Re: Again, U of A, Fayetteville

Postby StillGregHog » Wed May 02, 2018 8:47 pm

Tuschawg wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 5:32 pm
Richard Davenport wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 12:09 pm


I was told it has always been the ADG policy, but through change of management the ball was dropped and the use of UAF went away by some. I defended it because I talked to management about and was told what I shared with you guys.
Richard, this should be relatively easy to check to see if someone lied to you about it "went away". Look back at articles that OH wrote to see if his editors made this same change. Look at any article since OH to see if you can find truth to what you've been told. I just don't remember this "ADG policy", or "AD policy", or "AG policy".
First, a whole lot of this is "relatively easy to check." What the actual legal name is should be easy to find. I sited the only source I know. For those that say otherwise, PLEASE SHOW YOUR SOURCE (not "Bob" or "Dave" or whoever "told me." Find the law, the Board Motion, etc. etc. As reporters, this is an easy story. They won't do it because it will show what they have been saying is false and put their employer in a bad light. This is SAD but true. It does make you wonder about the journalistic intercity of the reporters here. That is VERY SAD but true.

Second, I have been reading the Gazette since I was a child, started reading the Democrat in the early 80's, read them both until they were one. Have read the ADG since it was created. When I lived out of state I had a mail subscription. While I know my memory has weaknesses, I don't recall EVER seeing "University of Arkansas, Fayetteville" or "UAF" or "University of Arkansas - Fayetteville" until this crap started. Again, could I be "misremembering"? Possible. Don't think so.

hawginTN
Posts: 81
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:12 pm

Re: Again, U of A, Fayetteville

Postby hawginTN » Thu May 03, 2018 9:00 am

StillGregHog wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 8:47 pm
Tuschawg wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 5:32 pm
Richard Davenport wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 12:09 pm


I was told it has always been the ADG policy, but through change of management the ball was dropped and the use of UAF went away by some. I defended it because I talked to management about and was told what I shared with you guys.
Richard, this should be relatively easy to check to see if someone lied to you about it "went away". Look back at articles that OH wrote to see if his editors made this same change. Look at any article since OH to see if you can find truth to what you've been told. I just don't remember this "ADG policy", or "AD policy", or "AG policy".
First, a whole lot of this is "relatively easy to check." What the actual legal name is should be easy to find. I sited the only source I know. For those that say otherwise, PLEASE SHOW YOUR SOURCE (not "Bob" or "Dave" or whoever "told me." Find the law, the Board Motion, etc. etc. As reporters, this is an easy story. They won't do it because it will show what they have been saying is false and put their employer in a bad light. This is SAD but true. It does make you wonder about the journalistic intercity of the reporters here. That is VERY SAD but true.

Second, I have been reading the Gazette since I was a child, started reading the Democrat in the early 80's, read them both until they were one. Have read the ADG since it was created. When I lived out of state I had a mail subscription. While I know my memory has weaknesses, I don't recall EVER seeing "University of Arkansas, Fayetteville" or "UAF" or "University of Arkansas - Fayetteville" until this crap started. Again, could I be "misremembering"? Possible. Don't think so.
Orville Henry never used that tag. I grew up in Little Rock and read the Gazzette and Democrat and do not recall either ever using University of Arkansas, Fayetteville in a sports reference involving the Razorbacks.

I think your point that the reporters can't really throw their employers under the bus is a valid one. Dont know if it's fair for their integrity be called into question. Their judgement and articulation on the subject can certainly be called into question.

Sometimes good people can get caught between a rock and a hard place. Probably not a lot of great jobs available covering Razorback recruiting. And as a guy that gets paid well to do what I love to do I can appreciate the fact that Richard gets paid well to do what he loves to do.

Richard may argue differently on the PAID WELL part 😉

StillGregHog
Posts: 1265
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:13 pm

Re: Again, U of A, Fayetteville

Postby StillGregHog » Mon May 07, 2018 4:20 pm

This obviously has been a hot issue for me. I have taken this site and its reporters to task about it. I maintain that the name of the school, legally, is "The University of Arkansas." All that said, I will say that I got an email today from the fundraising side of the University (not sports). It comes in from "University of Arkansas, Fayetteville <planned_giving@uark.giftlegacy.com>"

In the spirit of fairness I wanted to put that out there.

I still FIRMLY believe that the name of the school is "The University of Arkansas." I do understand why the school, for giving purposes, wants to make sure the money goes to the school at Fayetteville, not the system as a whole. Therefore the "Fayetteville." I heard a story about two brothers who both married girls name Carol. For the rest of their lives the two woman were referred to by the brothers family as "Bob's Carol" or "Tim's Carol" in order to make clear who was doing what, etc. Did that change the women's names? NO. It was used for clarification when necessary. It wouldn't be used when not necessary (I am sure "Bob's Carol" was not called that by HER family, to them she was just "Carol.")

Online
GeneralHog
Posts: 2096
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:04 am

Re: Again, U of A, Fayetteville

Postby GeneralHog » Tue May 08, 2018 8:29 am

I think this whole argument is much to do about nothing.

Do I think it's foolish to have to clarify the University of Arkansas by adding Fayetteville to it? Yes. But, I also think it's just a foolish for some on here to get all hot and bothered by it. My fandom isn't going to be affected by adding Fayetteville to UofA. I mean, that is where the university is, so adding it isn't that big of a deal.

I also hate it when people threaten or make some big statement about them pulling their money away from said product because something happens they don't like. I hate when people do that for churches, schools, and charities also. If you have a legit complaint, then feel free to voice it to those necessary or let your lack of funding do the talking for you. Just don't have these notions of grandeur by proclaiming it to everybody else.

StillGregHog
Posts: 1265
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:13 pm

Re: Again, U of A, Fayetteville

Postby StillGregHog » Tue May 08, 2018 12:39 pm

GeneralHog wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 8:29 am
I think this whole argument is much to do about nothing.

Do I think it's foolish to have to clarify the University of Arkansas by adding Fayetteville to it? Yes. But, I also think it's just a foolish for some on here to get all hot and bothered by it. My fandom isn't going to be affected by adding Fayetteville to UofA. I mean, that is where the university is, so adding it isn't that big of a deal.

I also hate it when people threaten or make some big statement about them pulling their money away from said product because something happens they don't like. I hate when people do that for churches, schools, and charities also. If you have a legit complaint, then feel free to voice it to those necessary or let your lack of funding do the talking for you. Just don't have these notions of grandeur by proclaiming it to everybody else.
For the record, I understand that this issue doesn't bother some. Second, I for one sure have no illusions of grandeur. No one here or at the ADG will care if I go away.

Lastly, agree this issue in no way affects my "fandom." I do honestly think adding "Fayetteville" to the end of the name does marginalize the school and I think in the long run could have a negative effect. There is a reason ASU fans want the school to be called University of Arkansas, Fayetteville"

SilverFox
Posts: 643
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:51 pm
Location: Antlers, OK

Re: Again, U of A, Fayetteville

Postby SilverFox » Tue May 08, 2018 7:59 pm

If some folk choose to refer to my bathroom as an "indoor privy", a "bathing station", a "urinary easement", a "necessary room", a "hygiene closet" or by any other asinine alternative nomenclature, their insistent renaming of my facility will not affect the pragmatic nature of my bathroom. Since it's MY house, and MY bathroom, I emphatically feel that I have the inherent right to refer to it by MY choice of universally descriptive labeling.

For me, The University Of Arkansas is just that; - - - The University Of Arkansas. It's not "The Natural State Institution Of Higher Learning In Fayetteville, Arkansas, or "The Retinue Of Rambunctious Razorback Roustabouts In Fayetteville, Arkansas.

It's The University Of Arkansas. Period. End of story.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 63 guests