Free forum for all users.
bakedhog19741
Posts: 4331
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:42 pm

Re: Again, U of A, Fayetteville

Postby bakedhog19741 » Tue May 01, 2018 7:57 am

hogred wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:53 pm
Yes, Wiki is not an absolutely reliable source. As already shown, our Wiki site that was referenced has conflicting information. Wiki is a nice first pass or quick and easy to locate source of information, but not always the most reliable. Someone now, after the fact, could try to clean up the existing conflicts on the Wiki site to show that when the University of Arkansas is mentioned the location of the campus is always mentioned as well. If that was to happen it would not make the Wiki source correct or reliable just because of the lack of conflicts as to how the data is presented.

I agree that someone in the know needs to provide the official/legal source information as to the designated name for the Arkansas state university that just happens to be located in the city of Fayetteville, Arkansas. Somewhere is located the information as to how and when the University of Arkansas located in Fayetteville, Arkansas, got it’s name, who legally controls the name, what is the process for modifying the name, when if ever has the name been officially/legally changed, and what are the name changes if any that have happened?


Here is the official University of Arkansas System site. They list the colleges. It says University of Arkansas, Fayetteville which is different than the others such as UALR, which is listed as University of Arkansas at Little Rock.


http://uasys.edu


Since there has been complaints about other schools, I looked up the Texas system, Texas is listed as UT-Austin (the official Texas site says University of Texas at Austin). I looked up the Alabama system, Alabama (Crimson Tide) is listed as UA. I also looked up the Missouri system, it lists Mizzou as University of Missouri-Columbia.

So, the points about not using everyone’s official names does have some validity.
Last edited by bakedhog19741 on Tue May 01, 2018 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

hawginTN
Posts: 81
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:12 pm

Re: Again, U of A, Fayetteville

Postby hawginTN » Tue May 01, 2018 8:14 am

It is still unnecessary to use that term (University of Arkansas, Fayetteville) in writing a sports article on Razorback recruiting and in the same sentence listing the other schools as Texas, Florida, Michigan etc.

That was my point in the previous thread a couple months ago. This is a Razorback site devoted to Razorback sports. Everyone knows that the Razorbacks belong to the University of Arkansas flagship campus that happens to have always been located in Fayetteville.

If this were the news section concerning tax dollars, funds, whatever maybe it would be appropriate to make the distinction.

Again THIS IS A RAZORBACK SPORTS WEBSITE!!!!!!!

Not a University of Arkansas System Website!

It is unnecessary to make the distinction.

Writers in Texas don't do it.
Writers in Michigan don't do it
ESPN doesn't do it.

It's is still stupid regardless of whether it's the legal name or not to use the term in sports articles on a website called WholeHogSports.

bakedhog19741
Posts: 4331
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:42 pm

Re: Again, U of A, Fayetteville

Postby bakedhog19741 » Tue May 01, 2018 8:22 am

hawginTN wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 8:14 am
It is still unnecessary to use that term (University of Arkansas, Fayetteville) in writing a sports article on Razorback recruiting and in the same sentence listing the other schools as Texas, Florida, Michigan etc.

That was my point in the previous thread a couple months ago. This is a Razorback site devoted to Razorback sports. Everyone knows that the Razorbacks belong to the University of Arkansas flagship campus that happens to have always been located in Fayetteville.

If this were the news section concerning tax dollars, funds, whatever maybe it would be appropriate to make the distinction.

Again THIS IS A RAZORBACK SPORTS WEBSITE!!!!!!!

Not a University of Arkansas System Website!

It is unnecessary to make the distinction.

Writers in Texas don't do it.
Writers in Michigan don't do it
ESPN doesn't do it.

It's is still stupid regardless of whether it's the legal name or not to use the term in sports articles on a website called WholeHogSports.

Didn’t say I disagreed, but the original reason why had been covered before, it’s because it’s on the internet and someone in Maine maybe reading and not know that the U of A is in Fayetteville.

Look, I’m not defending them doing it, but you guys complaining constantly and threatening to “take your money elsewhere” isn’t doing any good, so why not do what y’all say and leave, or drop it? It’s really that simple, bet if you all leave, they’ll change the policy, and if y’all don’t and continue to read then complain they’ll keep it, it lets them know y’all are reading.

hawginTN
Posts: 81
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:12 pm

Re: Again, U of A, Fayetteville

Postby hawginTN » Tue May 01, 2018 8:40 am

My post wasn't directed towards you Bake. I think most of the readers here are in agreement. I started this conversation a few months ago to get someone from this website to provide a reasonable explanation.

However the only official responses I've read posted by the WholeHogSports sports reporters or mods is basically something like the old Flip Wilson line.......

" The Devil made me do it ". :shock:

By the way I'm not one of those guys that has threatened to do anything. Not once at all.

I think some of those are invested in the whole us vs. them thing . The GSD.
Personally I think all home games should be in Fayetteville FWIW.

But still find the UofA Fayetteville tag just plain dumb on a Razorback Sports site.

bakedhog19741
Posts: 4331
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:42 pm

Re: Again, U of A, Fayetteville

Postby bakedhog19741 » Tue May 01, 2018 9:14 am

hawginTN wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 8:40 am
My post wasn't directed towards you Bake. I think most of the readers here are in agreement. I started this conversation a few months ago to get someone from this website to provide a reasonable explanation.

However the only official responses I've read posted by the WholeHogSports sports reporters or mods is basically something like the old Flip Wilson line.......

" The Devil made me do it ". :shock:

By the way I'm not one of those guys that has threatened to do anything. Not once at all.

I think some of those are invested in the whole us vs. them thing . The GSD.
Personally I think all home games should be in Fayetteville FWIW.

But still find the UofA Fayetteville tag just plain dumb on a Razorback Sports site.

I don’t disagree with you about seeing it in every article, I’ve complained about it before. There was an article that started “The Arkansas Razorbacks” and in the very next sentence it literally said “the Razorbacks of the University of Arkansas, Fayetteville.” I thought that was a jab at the people that were complaining. (By the way the reporter said he didn’t put it in there, which means an editor did it)

But, as I said in my response, when we first noticed the UAF statements, it was explained that it was because the ADG is now online and someone may not know the U of A is in Fayetteville. This is true, I’ve had people from other states ask me if the football and basketball teams had different names because they were watching the University of Arkansas basketball team and they were being called the Trojans. I had to explain the Razorbacks are from Fayetteville and the Trojans are the Little Rock school.

RD said it’s the official name and people said show me. That’s why I looked up Arkansas System, and it is listed as The University of Arkansas, Fayetteville. Not at Fayetteville. People have also compared it to Texas, Missouri, and Bama. That’s why I looked up those three as well. I’ve actually read articles and hear Texas referenced as UT-Austin (which is what the Texas System says) and heard University of Columbia, Missouri (not how the Missery system site lists it). I’ve also heard University of Bama at Tuscaloosa said before on a football game, the University of Alabama is the only one of the four schools (we have mentioned) that is actually listed as The University of the State without a city name.

Now, that may not be what we want to hear, because we are Razorbacks and Razorback fans, but it’s a legitimate and valid reason. There are those on here, and you may not be one, that have indeed said if the policy doesn’t change they’ll leave, they’re still posting, so it may not bother them as much as they let on.

Snout_
Posts: 54
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:35 am

Re: Again, U of A, Fayetteville

Postby Snout_ » Tue May 01, 2018 10:32 am

You don't have to be a subscriber to post. I was a subscriber to the paper since the mid-nineties and did not renew last summer. So yes, it does sicken some of us to the extent we put our money where our mouths are.

By the way, when WHS had us re-register in the summer of 2016, someone stole my moniker "Snout". I called Matt Jones and he told me to put a line after the name to distinguish. So "Snout" is not the same person as "Snout_"

Online
StillGregHog
Posts: 1092
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:13 pm

Re: Again, U of A, Fayetteville

Postby StillGregHog » Tue May 01, 2018 11:50 am

bakedhog19741 wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 7:57 am
hogred wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:53 pm
Yes, Wiki is not an absolutely reliable source. As already shown, our Wiki site that was referenced has conflicting information. Wiki is a nice first pass or quick and easy to locate source of information, but not always the most reliable. Someone now, after the fact, could try to clean up the existing conflicts on the Wiki site to show that when the University of Arkansas is mentioned the location of the campus is always mentioned as well. If that was to happen it would not make the Wiki source correct or reliable just because of the lack of conflicts as to how the data is presented.

I agree that someone in the know needs to provide the official/legal source information as to the designated name for the Arkansas state university that just happens to be located in the city of Fayetteville, Arkansas. Somewhere is located the information as to how and when the University of Arkansas located in Fayetteville, Arkansas, got it’s name, who legally controls the name, what is the process for modifying the name, when if ever has the name been officially/legally changed, and what are the name changes if any that have happened?


Here is the official University of Arkansas System site. They list the colleges. It says University of Arkansas, Fayetteville which is different than the others such as UALR, which is listed as University of Arkansas at Little Rock.


http://uasys.edu


Since there has been complaints about other schools, I looked up the Texas system, Texas is listed as UT-Austin (the official Texas site says University of Texas at Austin). I looked up the Alabama system, Alabama (Crimson Tide) is listed as UA. I also looked up the Missouri system, it lists Mizzou as University of Missouri-Columbia.

So, the points about not using everyone’s official names does have some validity.
I have seen the web site of the UofA system that says "University of Arkansas, Fayetteville." I admit that is the best evidence that I have seen for what the Dem-Gaz is doing. That said, if you are going on "legal names" then the fact that I have called myself "Greg" for the last 55 years doesn't change the fact that my legal name is "Gregory." I have cited the statute that names the schools. I don't know anything more official than that. I haven't been shown anything where that has ever been changed. While I don't think the BOT has the legal authority to change the name, if someone showed me a motion passed by the BOT to name the school "University of Arkansas, Fayetteville" it would support what the Dem-Gaz is doing. But no one has shown that.

To me, the most frustrating thing about this is this site is run by REPORTERS. What are reporters supposed to be good at? Finding info and writing a story. That is what they are trained to do. Further, this web site is owned by a NEWSPAPER. What is the SOLE reason newspapers exist? To find information and publish it. Why can't SOMEONE do a story on this and just settle the issue? It is a "knowable" fact (whatever the answer is). Instead we are stuck with "that is the name, trust us." Well, no, I don't "trust you" on this issue and if it really is the name, then just show us! It isn't hard. Again, that is what reporters do!!!!!! (Why did I have to do the research to show the statute as to the name of the school? Either (1) no reporter bothered to do it (no excuse for that, took me well less than 30 minutes) or (2) the reporters had done the research and refused to print it because it didn't fit within their narrative.)

Lastly, I am tempted to leave, might. I know that wouldn't break anyone's heart or pocketbook. I don't pretend it would. I did cancel my home Dem-Gaz subscription (due to this issue). Do I think the Dem-Gaz gives a rats butt about me doing that? No. I had made my peace with the issue for the most part when the Insiders on here were saying, "We don't agree, just can't change it." I get that. But Richard suddenly deciding to defend this crap and then refusing to give a source for the "why" has reopened the wound.

Richard Davenport
Posts: 8967
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:30 pm

Re: Again, U of A, Fayetteville

Postby Richard Davenport » Tue May 01, 2018 12:09 pm

StillGregHog wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 11:50 am
bakedhog19741 wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 7:57 am
hogred wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:53 pm
Yes, Wiki is not an absolutely reliable source. As already shown, our Wiki site that was referenced has conflicting information. Wiki is a nice first pass or quick and easy to locate source of information, but not always the most reliable. Someone now, after the fact, could try to clean up the existing conflicts on the Wiki site to show that when the University of Arkansas is mentioned the location of the campus is always mentioned as well. If that was to happen it would not make the Wiki source correct or reliable just because of the lack of conflicts as to how the data is presented.

I agree that someone in the know needs to provide the official/legal source information as to the designated name for the Arkansas state university that just happens to be located in the city of Fayetteville, Arkansas. Somewhere is located the information as to how and when the University of Arkansas located in Fayetteville, Arkansas, got it’s name, who legally controls the name, what is the process for modifying the name, when if ever has the name been officially/legally changed, and what are the name changes if any that have happened?


Here is the official University of Arkansas System site. They list the colleges. It says University of Arkansas, Fayetteville which is different than the others such as UALR, which is listed as University of Arkansas at Little Rock.


http://uasys.edu


Since there has been complaints about other schools, I looked up the Texas system, Texas is listed as UT-Austin (the official Texas site says University of Texas at Austin). I looked up the Alabama system, Alabama (Crimson Tide) is listed as UA. I also looked up the Missouri system, it lists Mizzou as University of Missouri-Columbia.

So, the points about not using everyone’s official names does have some validity.
I have seen the web site of the UofA system that says "University of Arkansas, Fayetteville." I admit that is the best evidence that I have seen for what the Dem-Gaz is doing. That said, if you are going on "legal names" then the fact that I have called myself "Greg" for the last 55 years doesn't change the fact that my legal name is "Gregory." I have cited the statute that names the schools. I don't know anything more official than that. I haven't been shown anything where that has ever been changed. While I don't think the BOT has the legal authority to change the name, if someone showed me a motion passed by the BOT to name the school "University of Arkansas, Fayetteville" it would support what the Dem-Gaz is doing. But no one has shown that.

To me, the most frustrating thing about this is this site is run by REPORTERS. What are reporters supposed to be good at? Finding info and writing a story. That is what they are trained to do. Further, this web site is owned by a NEWSPAPER. What is the SOLE reason newspapers exist? To find information and publish it. Why can't SOMEONE do a story on this and just settle the issue? It is a "knowable" fact (whatever the answer is). Instead we are stuck with "that is the name, trust us." Well, no, I don't "trust you" on this issue and if it really is the name, then just show us! It isn't hard. Again, that is what reporters do!!!!!! (Why did I have to do the research to show the statute as to the name of the school? Either (1) no reporter bothered to do it (no excuse for that, took me well less than 30 minutes) or (2) the reporters had done the research and refused to print it because it didn't fit within their narrative.)

Lastly, I am tempted to leave, might. I know that wouldn't break anyone's heart or pocketbook. I don't pretend it would. I did cancel my home Dem-Gaz subscription (due to this issue). Do I think the Dem-Gaz gives a rats butt about me doing that? No. I had made my peace with the issue for the most part when the Insiders on here were saying, "We don't agree, just can't change it." I get that. But Richard suddenly deciding to defend this crap and then refusing to give a source for the "why" has reopened the wound.
I was told it has always been the ADG policy, but through change of management the ball was dropped and the use of UAF went away by some. I defended it because I talked to management about and was told what I shared with you guys.

dwp007
Posts: 221
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:19 pm

Re: Again, U of A, Fayetteville

Postby dwp007 » Tue May 01, 2018 7:36 pm

Keep stirring proverbial pot, SGH. As a fan and former AD-G subscriber, I completely share your frustration involving the nonsense of referencing the campus location to describe Razorback sporting events. :roll: And while I haven't done the research, the statute you have referenced in describing the legal name for the State's flagship university easily overrides any other explanation seen so far on this thread.

Additionally, though I am not a graduate, in my opinion, the diploma received by UA graduates is more than a tad telling and underscores the literary ineptitude by redundantly referencing the campus whereabouts in a sports related context to describe the University of Arkansas.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=un ... &FORM=IGRE

Go Hogs.

Rknsaw
Posts: 32
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:09 pm

Re: Again, U of A, Fayetteville

Postby Rknsaw » Wed May 02, 2018 11:20 am

If you're going to continue to use "University of Arkansas, Fayetteville ", out of respect for everyone you should be sure to use "university of Mississippi, Oxford" and so on for all of the other schools mentioned in all of your articles. It's only fair.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: conwayjim and 29 guests