Free forum for all users.
dwp007

Re: UofA "Fayetteville "

Postby dwp007 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:09 pm

Totally understand your thoughts and frustrations, hawginTN. I have raised the same question several times in the past. One writer suggested that the campus reference was buried in some sort of past writing related policy and was now being enforced. He gave me the names and email addresses of two individuals with the ADG and affiliates and suggested that I raise the issue with them. I did so, months ago, and have yet to be acknowledged.

The "policy" is absurd and moronic, in my opinion. Moreover, it promotes a fundamentally poor writing practice with completely unnecessary and redundant content in a sports related context or article. Not all of the writers with WHS and affiliates use the reference. Personally, I have purposely stopped reading those who seem hell bent on shoving the matter down our collective throats, including Wally Hall, Little Rock. :roll:

There's a hidden agenda, by someone, somewhere, in my opinion. Regardless, as you have said, there are plenty of other better and well written sources for Razorback news.

Go Hogs.

Rknsaw

Postby Rknsaw » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:48 pm

Hey Richard, can you find out for us and maybe get this stopped?

Snout_

Postby Snout_ » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:10 am

We have been told that this was "a decision above our heads" and "Wally had nothing to do with this". Ok, let's go with that. Whoever above the writers' heads that made this decision reminds me of my father in his latter years. In his first eighty years, he was a well-spoken, logical, astute man. Once he hit 80, his mind started to deteriorate. He was redundant and repeated himself. He would say things I had never heard him say and I would have to verify with my mother, many of which were not true. It gradually got worse and then we lost him before his 84th birthday. I'm sure many of you can relate to this story with a parent or grandparent. This decision truly reminds me of that period in his life. This method of writing goes against the logic of good journalism and has been crammed down our throats without explanation. We watch it play out with disbelief but understand that the person can not help themselves and must not understand how foolish they look.

Rknsaw

Postby Rknsaw » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:14 am

Would like an answer regardless of circumstances.

dwp007

Postby dwp007 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:30 pm

From an article today, we learn:

"Linebacker Jaylen Moody will make his third official visit this weekend when he arrives today in Fayetteville to visit Arkansas.

Moody, 6-2, 225 pounds, 4.6 seconds in the 40-yard dash, of Conway, S.C., has scholarship offers from the University of Arkansas, Fayetteville, Ole Miss, East Carolina, Georgia State and others. He has visited Ole Miss and Georgia State previously."

Nothing against this particular writer, who seems like a good guy and apparently is marching on orders from a higher authority. Yet, if there is truly an editorial policy related to informing readers of the campus whereabouts for the University of Arkansas, it is entirely redundant and valueless from a literary standpoint, in addition to being mind blowing stupid and annoying as hell. It is also insulting to the U of A graduates, in my opinion, as well as anyone else smart enough to know how to find a Razorback game in Fayetteville.

As to the referenced article, where else would a linebacker being recruited by Arkansas and desiring to visit the university campus be intending to travel? Little Rock? Monticello? Fort Smith? Pine Bluff? Good luck with that GPS adventure.

I haven't lived in Arkansas for years and my opinion is from the outside looking in, but for whatever reason, the "policy" also seems to promote a certain sense of divisiveness, in an effort to single out part of the fan base in NW Arkansas compared to the rest of the state.

Some editorial wizard and/or someone from above at the ADG clearly has a hidden agenda.

swinebeforepearls

Postby swinebeforepearls » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:37 pm

Agreed, someone at the ADG has a hidden agenda and demonstrates it daily by forcing his asinine pettiness down the throats of us, the ADG's (and Whole Hog Sports') paying customers. Whoever it is obviously doesn't give a rat what we think, as this topic has been brought up many times before on this forum by many different subscribers. You can say it is "corporate policy" all day, but there is an anonymous living, breathing human being at the ADG who is enforcing this dumb policy, and he is hiding behind the corporate shield. Beyond poor writing and poor journalism, it is blatant ignorance of the old "the customer is always right" maxim and to continue doing this is insulting to the people who keep the ADG and WHS afloat. I canceled my ADG subscription over this issue, and never got any kind of acknowlegement. I guess it is obvious they simply don't care what we think, but I think we, the readers, have a right to know WHO is behind this! If we knew WHO, it would probably explain WHY. Probably just beating a dead horse here, but that's my opinion.

hog584

Postby hog584 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:21 pm

Agree, this is so childlike! It speaks to the mentality of the people who run the newspaper and I don't mean Clay and his team!

hawginTN

Postby hawginTN » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:43 pm

Appreciate you guys opinion on the matter. I would love to see more posters provide their opinion. I do find it odd that no official WHS staff has acknowledged the subject. They post here regularly so I have to assume they have seen the thread. If it's an editorial policy at WHS or ADG then just acknowledge that it is what it is at the very least. That would go along way to providing us some understanding on the subject. For the most part, the requests here for some explanation have been respectful. Shouldn't be too much to ask for a respectful response.

Snout_

Postby Snout_ » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:16 am

Hawg.........I guess you've missed it but that's the ONLY explanation given, that it's been a policy for years and they are now enforcing it. That's not a valid explanation. What if the policy was to use all small caps for proper names or use question marks instead of periods to end sentences. It would look ridiculous and just saying it's the policy would not give us an explanation. The only state newspaper in the land that feels it's necessary to identify the location of its major university in every single article. "76,000 came to Reynolds Razorback stadium on Saturday and witnessed number one ranked Alabama defeat the University of Arkansas, Fayetteville". Ridiculous.
Last edited by Snout_ on Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

hogredblood

Postby hogredblood » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:42 am

The only valid rationale for this would be to distinguish between U of A Fayetteville and Little Rock, Monticello, Pine Bluff or Fort Smith.

I think this is next. The University of Arkansas, Fayetteville, not in Georgia, North Carolina, Illinois, Indiana, Missouri, New York, Alabama, Ohio, Texas, West Virginia, Tennessee or Pennsylvania.

Idle time led to this post and probably to the referenced title advanced by these media outlets.