Free forum for all users.
Ricemab54

Re: UofA "Fayetteville "

Postby Ricemab54 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:42 pm

Walter Hussman is the publisher and majority owner of WHECO, the media company that owns the ADG. I suspect that the use of University of Arkansas, Fayetteville is mandated by Hussman.

I don’t know if this truly annoying use of U of A Fayetteville is in retaliation for withholding FOI requests or some other issue with the Razorback Athletic Program.

In all likelihood, this asinine policy will continue until Hussman changes it. Don’t be mad at the writers who are paid by Hussman, They are just doing what the boss wants.

BaumbasticHawg

Postby BaumbasticHawg » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:51 pm

Ricemab54 wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:42 pm
... In all likelihood, this asinine policy will continue until Hussman changes it. Don’t be mad at the writers who are paid by Hussman, They are just doing what the boss wants.
Except that the writers are not doing it. Some anonymous editor is inserting that into any article that gets printed in the paper. (That's why there are no such references in on-line only articles.)
"What makes our ball park beautiful is that it's full of people." --Dave Van Horn

hawginTN

Postby hawginTN » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:11 pm

BaumbasticHawg wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:51 pm
Ricemab54 wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:42 pm
... In all likelihood, this asinine policy will continue until Hussman changes it. Don’t be mad at the writers who are paid by Hussman, They are just doing what the boss wants.
Except that the writers are not doing it. Some anonymous editor is inserting that into any article that gets printed in the paper. (That's why there are no such references in on-line only articles.)

Why would an anonymous editor do this? Especially when it is unpopular.
It really makes no sense at all. What is their angle? It has to be someone that can hire and fire. Otherwise, you'd think the writers would tell them to take a flying leap.

So we know now, an anonymous editor is making sure to point out daily that the Hogs reside in Fayetteville when editing the writer's story.

But why is it necessary to say University of Arkansas, Fayetteville when writing about the Razorbacks?

Unfortunately the question still hasn't been answered.

SoArkHog

Postby SoArkHog » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:18 pm

What has been explained is the newspaper's policy in, say, the business section is to identify the UofA campuses by site, such as UofA Pine Bluff, UofA Fort Smith, etc., to distinguish them from each other. As crazy as it may sound, the paper has adopted that policy for all UofA articles, including those in the sports department. Who made that decision and why have never satisfactorily been explained (addressed but never to the satisfaction of WHS readers). Editors are following their marching orders as are reporters by placing the Fayetteville tag on the UofA. At least, that is my understanding of the whole situation.

hawginTN

Postby hawginTN » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:46 pm

SoArkHog wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:18 pm
What has been explained is the newspaper's policy in, say, the business section is to identify the UofA campuses by site, such as UofA Pine Bluff, UofA Fort Smith, etc., to distinguish them from each other. As crazy as it may sound, the paper has adopted that policy for all UofA articles, including those in the sports department. Who made that decision and why have never satisfactorily been explained (addressed but never to the satisfaction of WHS readers). Editors are following their marching orders as are reporters by placing the Fayetteville tag on the UofA. At least, that is my understanding of the whole situation.

It's certainly understandable to make the distinction when discussing funding, building projects, administration changes, etc. But seems a bit lame in sports as the University of Arkansas in Fayetteville is the flagship university of the UofA system. It's the University of Arkansas. The other campuses are satellite campuses that have always been referred to as UAPB, UALR, UAM , etc.

It seems all the readers here agree that the emphasis on the Fayetteville tag is at the very least, just silly. Especially when the article is posted on WholeHogSports.

SoArkHog

Postby SoArkHog » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:33 pm

hawginTN wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:46 pm
SoArkHog wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:18 pm

It's certainly understandable to make the distinction when discussing funding, building projects, administration changes, etc. But seems a bit lame in sports as the University of Arkansas in Fayetteville is the flagship university of the UofA system. It's the University of Arkansas. The other campuses are satellite campuses that have always been referred to as UAPB, UALR, UAM , etc.

It seems all the readers here agree that the emphasis on the Fayetteville tag is at the very least, just silly. Especially when the article is posted on WholeHogSports.
I agree with you. Just trying to shed some light on the subject. I'm not a spokesman nor do I play one on TV.

dwp007

Postby dwp007 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:42 pm

I have yet to see a reason even remotely close to being a logical explanation regardiing the nonsense of describing the campus whereabouts of Razorback sporting events used by some of these writers [or editors].

The answer, in my opinion, is to: i) keep complaining about it; ii) find better sources for Razorback news; or iii) both.

Go Hogs.