DC

Free forum for all users.
Rknsaw

Re: DC

Postby Rknsaw » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:15 am

I wouldn't call Alabama an up tempo offense. Yes they have gone to a dual threat quarterback and spread the field more often than they have in the past but hurry up is rarely their intention in my opinion. The main reason those teams made it is due to their overall elite talent a defensive strength, exception Oregon.

Eli82

Postby Eli82 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:32 am

Dfarris wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:23 pm
Two games come to mind when the debate of time of possession and its effect on a football game.

2005 Hogs v Trojans.
Time of possession:
Hogs 34 plus minutes
Trojans 22 plus minutes

Final score: USC 70 - Arkansas 19

2016 Hogs vs Tide
Time of possession:
Hogs 37 plus minutes
Tide 22 plus minutes

Final score: Alabama 49 - Arkansas 30

My point is that time of possession is less important as long as you score touchdowns when you do have possession.
I know that these two examples come against great teams, but isn’t that what we aspire to be?

Go Hogs!
I thought maybe your point was there are anomolies in the world... Time of possession can and often does play a significant role in a football game... NOT ALWAYS, as you've pointed out... but often. You are correct that if the offense can score points, all though quickly, it can help offset the impact of keeping your D on the field... it is the "quick" 3 and outs that seem to really take a toll...

Rknsaw

Postby Rknsaw » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:36 pm

Agreed.