DC

Free forum for all users.
SilverFox

Re: DC

Postby SilverFox » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:56 pm

If all coaching positions have now been filled, then I must assume that Morris has the coaches he wanted. Whether they now "toe the line and shine just fine" - or whether they "stutter and sputter as they flutter to the gutter" - is going to directly impact Morris's competence credibility.

I surely hope that Morris - and his entire cadre of assistants - are up to the task.

We shall see.

Dfarris

Postby Dfarris » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:40 pm

So, it's the "Chief" that will try and lead our defense back to respectability.
He wasn't my first choice, but he has far more experience and name recognition than any we have had and that may just help in recruiting, I hope so.

I was glad to see that he and Emmitt Gooden have talked, we need a 6'4" 320lb man to cause problems for the opponent at the line of scrimmage for a change, hope the get him signed. Gooden wants to be a Razorback and he didn't even grow up in the State unlike others in this recruiting class that have signed or committed to sign elsewhere. No matter where those Arkansans play and how much success they have when they come back home they will never be revered like a Razorback ( Keith Jackson - included ).

Anyway, now that he's been named I'll support that decision and wish nothing but great things for our program and its new coaches moving forward.

Go Hogs!

LaHog

Postby LaHog » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:49 pm

The Chief, was my second choice of DCs...the first was a snowball in hell to hire and we All know who that was...lol...but John Chavis is a Gold Crown Defensive Coordinator by experience, recruiting and coaching abilities, long list of accomplishments, former players that were or now in the NFL and his desire to field the best defense on the field of play!
Coach Chavis, since his hire was reported, has sent a message throughout the SEC, the Arkansas Razorback’s “D” will be on the field to play just that! I know there are those that tend to refer to his defenses of A&M, there aren’t any serious coaches want their legacy to be remembered ineffective...being a fan and supporter of my beloved Razorbacks and being a believer defense wins championships, I am excited for the defensive players and recruits...we’ve got the right coaches for the 4 and 5 Star recruits to start rolling in 2019...maybe this year...!
I can only judge a coach, any coach by the facts, and there are a long list of great facts about Coach Chavis...he knows the challenge set before him, I believe our defense will begin to finish games like we haven’t seen for sometime, besides, it’s time...

Rknsaw

Postby Rknsaw » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:25 pm

I'm ok with the DC hire. The problem I have is with the quick strike offense. The ability to take time off of the clock is critical. The "score quickly" offense just puts the defense on the field longer. Something that never works to any team's favor. I'm hoping for the best but I'm very concerned about the bind this puts our defense in before the game even starts. Hopefully CCM has a handle on it.

Dfarris

Postby Dfarris » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:23 pm

Two games come to mind when the debate of time of possession and its effect on a football game.

2005 Hogs v Trojans.
Time of possession:
Hogs 34 plus minutes
Trojans 22 plus minutes

Final score: USC 70 - Arkansas 19

2016 Hogs vs Tide
Time of possession:
Hogs 37 plus minutes
Tide 22 plus minutes

Final score: Alabama 49 - Arkansas 30

My point is that time of possession is less important as long as you score touchdowns when you do have possession.
I know that these two examples come against great teams, but isn’t that what we aspire to be?

Go Hogs!

Macpoe55

Postby Macpoe55 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:11 pm

Definitely understand why the fan base is apprehensive of this hire, but at the end of the day can we look at it and say its an improvement? absolutely. Arkansas was ranked 101st in total defense last year........A&M at 78th. not huge, but much better than we are now.

Rknsaw

Postby Rknsaw » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:54 pm

My point about being able to hold the ball is not having a shootout every game. Not too many fast paced teams making it to the playoffs or bcs finals. Defense still wins championships . Sure there are some really good fast paced teams but that puts the defense on the field too quickly and too often. The best teams in the country are still the better defensive teams. I don't expect everyone to agree,just my opinion.

SoArkHog

Postby SoArkHog » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:32 pm

I agree to a certain extent. Clemson, though, was an up-tempo team who also played very good defense. Alabama is capable of being up-tempo and has been in recent years but also play great defense. The game is an up-tempo game these days. That said, I agree that until we have a good defense in place, there are going to be times we need to hang onto the football. CCM promotes an up-tempo offense, like the one with which Clemson won the title, but I think his power-running, up-tempo game may be able to slow down if time does need to be taken off the clock. At least, I hope it can.

Dfarris

Postby Dfarris » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:35 pm

So I was intrigued by just which programs had played for the National Championship over the past 5 years to,see what type of offenses got to that game.

Clemson - 2 appearances
Auburn - 1 appearance
Oregon - 1 appearance
Ohio State - 1 appearance
Alabama - 3 appearances

Actually, every one of these teams run a tempo offensive scheme with 99% of snaps taken from the shotgun formation with a single RB or empty backfield.
Alabama has drifted away from a traditional style offense when they kept having trouble defending teams like Texas A&M, Ole Miss, Clemson, Auburn, Oklahoma and Ohio State.
The key to these teams being able to have success running tempo style offenses are their players and the quality of depth they are able to stockpile on their rosters on both offense and defense so that players can be rotated throughout the game so they stay fresh.
Quality depth is the key.

Go Hogs!

SoArkHog

Postby SoArkHog » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:39 pm

Dfarris wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:35 pm
So I was intrigued by just which programs had played for the National Championship over the past 5 years to,see what type of offenses got to that game.

Clemson - 2 appearances
Auburn - 1 appearance
Oregon - 1 appearance
Ohio State - 1 appearance
Alabama - 3 appearances

Actually, every one of these teams run a tempo offensive scheme with 99% of snaps taken from the shotgun formation with a single RB or empty backfield.
Alabama has drifted away from a traditional style offense when they kept having trouble defending teams like Texas A&M, Ole Miss, Clemson, Auburn, Oklahoma and Ohio State.
The key to these teams being able to have success running tempo style offenses are their players and the quality of depth they are able to stockpile on their rosters on both offense and defense so that players can be rotated throughout the game so they stay fresh.
Quality depth is the key.

Go Hogs!
You are quite right. Also, their defenses had the ability to give the ball back quickly, i.e., get off the field on third down.