Free forum for all users.
doghog72

Re: Who Do You Think Would Be The Best?

Postby doghog72 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:12 pm

DawgTownHog wrote:
doghog72 wrote:
DawgTownHog wrote:

You are correct however he does have them in the Conf USA Championship unfortunately it is against Kiffin and FAU
I see he was OC at Indiana and Arizona, not sure how they were statistically though. I think we would have to exhaust a lot of options before considering him. Hopefully that is not the case.

Dfarris keeps bringing him up. I had never considered him before and while that loss to FAU was bad he has beaten some good teams this year and has them bowl eligible n in the Conf championship game.
I think he is a guy that is a year away, assuming this is not an outlier year and he can string together another strong season. Next year he could be the next Scott Frost or Mike Norvell.

DawgTownHog

Postby DawgTownHog » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:14 pm

doghog72 wrote:
DawgTownHog wrote:
doghog72 wrote:
I see he was OC at Indiana and Arizona, not sure how they were statistically though. I think we would have to exhaust a lot of options before considering him. Hopefully that is not the case.

Dfarris keeps bringing him up. I had never considered him before and while that loss to FAU was bad he has beaten some good teams this year and has them bowl eligible n in the Conf championship game.
I think he is a guy that is a year away, assuming this is not an outlier year and he can string together another strong season. Next year he could be the next Scott Frost or Mike Norvell.

Totally agree.

Dfarris

Postby Dfarris » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:28 pm

Just so you know when I put a coaches name out there with a group of guys that I think are possibly good quality guys that should be interviewed and vetted I'm not saying that he's my #1 choice, but is worth a look.
I know many of you had probably not ever even had Seth Litrell on your radar, but look at who he is and where he's from, player background, coaching stints thus far and then you will see why he's a young guy that if not now and at Arkansas will be a Major D1 Head Coach soon.

I believe I meant to, but forgot to put Mike Bobo in that list of good young coaches that pass the resume test for most as well. He's the Head Coach at Colorado State, whom I predicted that if kept Bielema era going would beat the Razorbacks on there home turf next season.

DawgTownHog

Postby DawgTownHog » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:38 pm

Dfarris wrote:Just so you know when I put a coaches name out there with a group of guys that I think are possibly good quality guys that should be interviewed and vetted I'm not saying that he's my #1 choice, but is worth a look.
I know many of you had probably not ever even had Seth Litrell on your radar, but look at who he is and where he's from, player background, coaching stints thus far and then you will see why he's a young guy that if not now and at Arkansas will be a Major D1 Head Coach soon.

I believe I meant to, but forgot to put Mike Bobo in that list of good young coaches that pass the resume test for most as well. He's the Head Coach at Colorado State, whom I predicted that if kept Bielema era going would beat the Razorbacks on there home turf next season.
Hey man, I hadn't thought of Littrel before you mentioned him. He has done a great job at North Texas. Bobo is an interesting name, I remember him from GA as a player but don't know much about him as a coach. Another good name. Thanks!

reddiehog

Postby reddiehog » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:31 pm

I live in GA and they wanted him gone when he was UGA's OC.

DistantHog

Postby DistantHog » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:00 am

doghog72 wrote:
DistantHog wrote:I want to see - as the priority - an Arkansas team that won't give up a half-dozen 3rd and 15s a game ( my overall assessment of the most glaring tendency). So that means I 'd focus on building a defensive mindset that sets the tone. I think there are so many variations of offense that most (minus the 3 yards and a cloud of dust plan) can get you 28 points a game without too much sweat. Arkansas - the school and the state - can put those offensive players on the field and get that done (in my opinion). So - bring someone in that is going to ensure that the defense is reliable and built not necessarily to shut everyone else out, but that can keep you in a game.

Venables.

We will need to more than 28 ppg to win the SEC.
''

Fair enough, a few more won't hurt :-). To the point, of the eight teams playing in Power 5 conference championships this week (Wis, OSU, GA, AUB, MIA, CLEM, TCU, OU), 7 of 8 are in the top 20 in fewest points allowed. The lone team outside the top twenty in scoring defense is OU with 25 ppg and they survive by scoring 45 a game.

Of those eight teams, only three are in the top 20 in points scored. The math (learned in Harrison High School) suggests that if you only give up 27 or less, you can every game if you score 28. i didn't pay much attention in HS so .. someone can check my math.

But yes, more than 28 would be nice.

LaHog

Postby LaHog » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:24 am

Should there be any thought to Jeremy Pruit, DC at Ala, at Ga, at Fl State 2013 NC? He has a viable resume/cv. Just asking if Venables declines...

mrc005

Postby mrc005 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:43 pm

SilverFox wrote:Of the candidates' names being currently circulated for our new football HC - and even including a "dark horse" candidate or two into the mix - which prospective new HC do you think would be able to maximize getting the most out of 2-star and 3-star talent (with an OCCASIONAL 4-star stud added in there) and make Arkansas competitive with the perennial 5-star blue chip talent-blessed high-powered football factories?

NOT who can necessarily turn things around in a drastic recruiting coup overhaul, suddenly flooding our roster with 5-star talent; - - who do you truly think could get the most productivity out of the talent on hand - and future 3-star talent, causing our W-L seasonal record to suddenly blossom from 4-8 to 8-4? Who is the candidate who is most likely capable of filling that bill? - - - - Who?
Okay.. i never considered him before, but i am starting to lean on wanting kiffin. one, he recruits well. two, i think he has a chip on his shoulder to beat saban and prove he can win at a high level. three, his offenses are strong. four, if he can add texas recruiter and a strong dc, then we have recruiting ties from ca to fl and texas in the middle. five, he wouldnt take people talking smack about arkansas and that would give us all a sense of pride in our coach.

DawgTownHog

Postby DawgTownHog » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:29 pm

mrc005 wrote:
SilverFox wrote:Of the candidates' names being currently circulated for our new football HC - and even including a "dark horse" candidate or two into the mix - which prospective new HC do you think would be able to maximize getting the most out of 2-star and 3-star talent (with an OCCASIONAL 4-star stud added in there) and make Arkansas competitive with the perennial 5-star blue chip talent-blessed high-powered football factories?

NOT who can necessarily turn things around in a drastic recruiting coup overhaul, suddenly flooding our roster with 5-star talent; - - who do you truly think could get the most productivity out of the talent on hand - and future 3-star talent, causing our W-L seasonal record to suddenly blossom from 4-8 to 8-4? Who is the candidate who is most likely capable of filling that bill? - - - - Who?
Okay.. i never considered him before, but i am starting to lean on wanting kiffin. one, he recruits well. two, i think he has a chip on his shoulder to beat saban and prove he can win at a high level. three, his offenses are strong. four, if he can add texas recruiter and a strong dc, then we have recruiting ties from ca to fl and texas in the middle. five, he wouldnt take people talking smack about arkansas and that would give us all a sense of pride in our coach.

I like your thinking.